All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: yet another ST1000DM003 thread
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2017, 13:55 

Hey everyone,

ST1000DM003 (PN 9YN162-302, fw CC4C) showing symptoms of bad heads (spin up ok, a number of "clicks" then spin down. Not recognized by BIOS, serial port shows this on bootup:

Code:
Boot 0x40M
Spin Up
FAIL  Servo Op=0100 Resp=0003
ResponseFrame ED00 0052 03B2 35C0 0008 0000 0000 0000 0DF1 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 4288 4AE2 C6DC D2D7 CADD 505F A5C1 3E18 0379 8900 0000 007F 0000 0000 001B 0004 0010

(there is a "FAIL Servo" and "ResponseFrame" for each click, and the messages stop when the clicks stop and the drives spin down)

Serial console not available, no response to ^Z or ^R or ^L (or anything). I swapped the PCB with another from hddparts and swapped the BIOS from the original board to the replacement board; the problem persists.

Everything points to weak or bad head and head swap as the solution. I have *not* opened the drive to inspect media as I do not have a proper cleanroom environment.

I have a few questions. I'd appreciate any assistance/clarifications. While I would like to have the data on the drive, it's not an absolute requirement. This is more for learning/self education.

• Is this a "grenada" or "F3" drive? I am having trouble figuring out the specific device "class" this drive belongs to
  • Is there any way to gain access to the debug console? I tried a few different methods (isolating the spindle motor, isolating the head connector, trying to short just the rx pair) but it's nonresponsive
  • I have a newer and working ST1000DM003 (PN 1ER162-300); would this drive have compatible heads?
  • That newer drive has a PSID written on the label, does this affect its compatibility with the older dead drive?
  • If I successfully swap the heads, should I replace the donor drive's Flash on to the patient drive to keep the head adaptives matched with the preamp/heads?
  • Right now I have no way to access the console - how can I modify the head adaptives to try to get the new heads to work (if necessary)?
  • Is it easier to do a platter swap with a known good (same model/pn/date) drive? I *think* the older drive has 1TB/platter and one head, but without the console and without opening the lid it's impossible to know

I'm an embedded systems EE by trade; I have no issues with reading/modifying the flash, but what i don't know is which areas to modify and in what way. Are there any docs detailing the process for this drive?

Finally... I've read a bit about finding compatible head assemblies; it really does seem like a crapshoot on these drives, basically try to match the PN and date codes as closely as possible to increase chances of success, but that's about it. I've also read that you can use a head assembly with more physical heads than are necessary.

Post subject: Re: yet another ST1000DM003 thread
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2017, 14:47 

I'll answer a few of your questions, then I'll leave the rest for someone else.

It is both a Grenada drive and an F3. Grenada is the specific family code name, F3 is the overall architecture series.
As to the debug console, there is no way or any point to trying to get to this until the heads are replaced unless you've got professional tools such as PC-3000 to edit headmap and hope to find a working system head.
As to donor compatibilibty, I'd need to see the label of each drive to know for sure if they are compatible, but I'd suspect they are almost certainly not compatible.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2017, 13:00 

Thank you very much for the clarifications. Do you know offhand (or where I can find this information) on which model (7200.x) this drive is? I *think* it is 7200.14 just based on what I'm seeing pictures of elsewhere but cannot find anything definitive.

How compatible are the head extraction tools? Will the extraction tool for a 7200.11 work on a .12 or .14 drive?

I've attached a photo of three drives; the one on the left is the patient drive, the two others are potential donors. I highly suspect the rightmost is *not* compatible but would love to learn how you identify potential donors or discount other drives from being potential donors. Are there SN/PN decoders that I could use to determine this?

(use http://i.imgur.com/Q6CviIZ.png for something you can read, this forum has a "no wider than 1024 pixels" rule for images)

Patient: ST1000DM003, PN 9YN162-302, FW CC4C, SN S1D1H8EP, Date: 12444, Site SU
Middle Donor: ST1000DM003, PN 1ER162-300, FW CC43, SN Z4Y0EL7J, Date 14467, Site TK
Right Donor: ST31000524AS, PN 9YP154-303, FW JC45, SN 5VP7YB1B, Date 11327, Site SU

PostPosted: September 4th, 2017, 17:00 

the 1ER has different pinout as well as register mapping so it would be very hard to use in 9YN drives (even I would not try that - not as if i were somebody, but i was arguing for compatibility of MHAs of different families the other day in another thread).
So shortly: forget about it.
I back Data Medics about tools: don't attempt recovery without tools. Completely pointless risking of data integrity and waste of money/time.
Even if you have tools you are likely to screw it up more without knowledge.
So it's time to consider seeking pro help.

pepe

PostPosted: September 5th, 2017, 5:33 

In simple words using a non-compatible head would lead to media damage, If data is of any importance, it is better to contact a Pro, totally agreed with pepe the chances of success are not very promising and at the end it could be waste of time, money and total data loss (no offense). there is a reputed member on this forum lcoughey their website is https://www.recoveryforce.com/ , they are professional and affordable, send him pm or write them through their website.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2017, 7:45 

Thanks for the responses so far, everyone. I really do appreciate having the ear of so many experienced people here.

It's much less about the data as it is the education. As I mentioned in my first post, "While I would like to have the data on the drive, it's not an absolute requirement. This is more for learning/self education." I agree that if I do decide to attempt this, it's going to be largely for the experience and any data recovered would be by luck rather than by skill.

Interesting comment on the 1ER vs 9YP; the boards (100724095 vs 100664987) both appear to be for 7200.12 drives with the same land pattern for the spindle vs head connectors. This doesn't guarantee that all the pins have the same assignments though, I agree.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2017, 9:38 

pepe wrote:
the 1ER has different pinout as well as register mapping