All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Memory IC configuration contains errors
PostPosted: October 4th, 2017, 16:04 

I just received my VNR today and I'm toying around with a scrapped NAND from an Android-tablet.

First: a tool this costly doesn't even have any help pages, not even a reference manual, nothing. That was quite a disappointment.

Second: I'm following the tutorial on http://rusolut.com/direct-access-to-nan ... xtraction/ but I can't even manage to pass the configuration step. Read ID gives me 2C68044AA9, but when I click "Configuration" I get zero hits (while the tutorial shows a match in the Trusted DB).

Removing 2C68044AA9 from "Model filter", and entering "Micron" as vendor still yields zero results. This somehow makes me think that the database for the chip-ID:s is non-existant, even while I copied the whole Database/ folder from the pen drive.

Then I accidentally clicked "Save in User DB", and then my NAND shows up in the list. And I can't even remove it. And since there's no online-help in the program, I have no idea how to remove it.

But still, the Reader object has this red exclamation mark on it, saying "Memory IC configuration contains errors", and I'm stuck.

And no, at this time I cannot afford the training programme that Rusolut offers.

Help?

Attachments:
vnr_error.png
vnr_error.png [ 39.19 KiB | Viewed 13319 times ]

Post subject: Re: Memory IC configuration contains errors
PostPosted: October 4th, 2017, 16:19 

Erase the chip ID in the search box and then type the Model MT29 in the Model filter. Sometimes you will find something close entering part of the model number. The DB is quite limited so you should probably contact support. They will help via email or request to connect remotely and help you. You might want to verify the DB is installed properly by typing just 1 or 2 characters to verify there is data.

Attachments:
VNR Model.JPG
VNR Model.JPG [ 118.75 KiB | Viewed 13316 times ]

PostPosted: October 4th, 2017, 17:28 

In the Case->DB menu, the two "Trusted DB" checkboxes were not checked. Checking them both made the model search work, just like your screenshot. So, now I finally managed to grab a physical dump.

However, the UI is quite confusing. Clicking the "Phy image" object, and then the "Data area" toolbar button yields the window in the attached image. But none of the checkboxes are checkable, so none of the analyzed structures are selectable.

Is this by design? Are these numbers supposed to be written down for future reference?

Attachments:
find_data.png
find_data.png [ 6 KiB | Viewed 13305 times ]

PostPosted: October 4th, 2017, 18:13 

Hi Bos,
The tool is very powerful in a lot of ways, but there is quite a lot of learning. Rusolut will help.

If you go throught the docs at http://rusolut.com/visual-nand-reconstructor/documentation/ especially both http://rusolut.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/VNRbook.pdf and http://rusolut.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/VNRbook2.pdf and also the http://rusolut.com/nand-recovery-case-samples/ I think things will be a lot clearer. The chip configuration could use some more low level explanation of a few of the fields. The power in this tool isn't the dump, and auto solve but the versatility in researching dumps.

I wish more people would do as you have done and start discussing on the forum, as I know privately many people have a hard time getting started, and give up.

The real issue is the complexity of flash itself, and the fact that nearly every single flash device is a different structure.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2017, 18:19 

I'm only guessing but I think the weight would have to be much better than 1 or 2 to be useful. If you haven't already then you should digest this Page Structure Analyses info and watch the 3 videos at the bottom of the page.
Also there is VNR Book1 and Book2 VNR manual here.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2017, 9:06 

Thanks HaQue and Blizzard, your links were quite useful. I will have to read it all and digest prior trying again.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2017, 13:30 

@bos: I know you write you cannot afford training but without this you will not use even 3-5% of Rusolut - I doubt that you can solve any actuall flash cases which are much more complex that these shows on samples - if you want to use full power of VNR you will need basic training, after this take 3-6 months of solving flash cases and get next advanced training which are available from Rusolut (contact Sasha here on forum or Rusolut sales directly) ... once you will do this you will start to understand how complex is flash recovery... there are no magic buttons to click to recover data from NAND

P.S
Compare VNR as a instrument used in general surgery - without years or learning, after this years of practice, many surgery it will be still ONLY tools.... but if you will give them to professional doctor he can do magic with this.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2017, 6:46 

Hi Bolo

I'm fully aware of that, that I've got a paramount way to go. But alas, I have no pot of gold where I can shove up dough whenever I want. It took me two years to save up for the VNR-hardware, so my only option right now is a lot of trial and error, and a lot of studying.

I have no other options.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2017, 7:30 

Hi Bos,

Of course you don't have to come to training to understand how tool works, it is optional.
We have several R&D engineers working in support dept daily (not just a support guys who send you standard answers) and we do as much as we can in every single case.
In some cases we can remotely connect to your PC and check the case so you can follow engineer and ask questions (this is FREE service but depends on our time and queue).

As people said here, VNR is a scalpel (a very sharp one). You have to be surgeon to use scalpel this is also truth.
Most of surgeons paid bunch of money to become who they are.
"my only option right now is a lot of trial and error, and a lot of studying." - and this is how medicine was born.
This is even a better way to learn the tool rather than come to training. It takes more time and efforts though.