All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Western Digital PCB Swap, firmware
PostPosted: May 5th, 2018, 19:43 

Hello Everyone,

I own a pair of western wd10eavs, recently one died (not recognized by mobo, no clicking sound) after some searching on web I swap the pcb of the healthy one by the faulty one and it got recognized by windows and partitioned easily so I bought a pcb on ebay with same serial no. (2060-701590). by using the donor pcb there was just initial spin, again thanks to web I learned to changed the main IC of faulty pcb with the donor but there is no spin and the drive is not recognizable.

if I get another working pcb Is there any software method to transfer ROM to a not recognizable HDD ? like using WDMarvel ?

if opt 1 is not possible could anyone let me know how to connect pcb in details to a programmer device like rt809 ?

on the link below by using a 40 dollar programmer the rom is uploaded into embedded controller.
https://infoparse.ir/نحوه-پروگرام-کردن-embeded-controller-هارد-western/

thanks

Post subject: Re: Western Digital PCB Swap, firmware
PostPosted: May 5th, 2018, 21:41 

Please, post pictures of both boards.

Are you sure the chip was transferred correctly ? In the case the chip is damaged, reading it on the original board won´t work, and you will need other ways to make the drive work.

Do you need the data or, as you said the drive worked with the second pcb, are you just trying to fix the drive ? In the second case, probably it would be easier and cheaper to just replace the drive.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2018, 6:12 

rogfanther wrote:
Please, post pictures of both boards.

Are you sure the chip was transferred correctly ? In the case the chip is damaged, reading it on the original board won´t work, and you will need other ways to make the drive work.

Do you need the data or, as you said the drive worked with the second pcb, are you just trying to fix the drive ? In the second case, probably it would be easier and cheaper to just replace the drive.

Thanks for the reply. Im not sure either MCU was burnt or transfered correctly therefore Im planning to buy a new one. I could buy the pcb for just 10 dollars and the drive was used for backup with low running time.

Attachments:
IMG_8624.JPG
IMG_8624.JPG [ 1.42 MiB | Viewed 8454 times ]
IMG_8622.JPG
IMG_8622.JPG [ 1.37 MiB | Viewed 8454 times ]
IMG_8623.JPG
IMG_8623.JPG [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 8454 times ]

PostPosted: May 7th, 2018, 6:16 

Spildit wrote:
Looks like you did transfer the MAIN MCU because aparently the drive doesn't have a ROM chip, correct ? Most likely you killed the MCU / PCB.

Does the drive still work with the PCB from your 2nd drive ? If so then there is a easy way to fix your problem !!!

- Buy a copy of WDMarvel and READ ROM on the 2nd drive that does work with the damaged one.

- Buy a new PCB on eBay that is compatible with your drive.

- Write the working ROM on the new PCB.

- To de 100 % sure that you have correct adaptives check the "damaged" drive SA for ROM Modules copies and if there are some you can use that to rebuild original adaptives on your ROM. If not use manual method to rebuild adaptives on ROM module.

DONE.

It works. but how to write the ROM from working HDD to new pcb ? new pcb wont be recognized by mobo bios ? would u please explain more ? thanks

PostPosted: May 7th, 2018, 9:39 

Please read here :

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php? ... hotos#p143

You can read the rom that works from the good board, then connect the new board you buy, and write rom to it. WDMarvel will do it, no need for bios to detect the board.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2018, 14:39 

Thank for the help

Just the last questions for knowledge. has the demo version of wdmarvel the ability to write or shall I buy a full version ?
in the following website offers two type of pcb.

https://www.hddzone.com/wd-2060701590001-pcb-p-261.html

as you can see there is 2 types of pcb. is it possible to buy the 2th type which has 8 pin flash IC and transfer the ROM to this one by simple programmer.
has anyone done that before ? are the ROMs configure the same to work in either types ?