All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Netgear NAS Box BTRFS deleted data recovery
PostPosted: May 5th, 2018, 13:03 

Dear Team
I have got assignment of missing data from Netgear NAS box hard disk.
2TB hard disks ( 2 nos) are in Mirror ( Raid 1). Customer has reported that particular folder is missing ( Dont know whether it is deleted )
Has anyone gone through such situation? Mainstream softwares like getdata /R-studio & many does not support BTRFS which is NAS specific linux variant.
I want to know whether deleted data ( here we assume accidentally client has deleted that folder) is possible from This file system,
Pls. note NAS box is working fine and all data is accessible except this folder.
ANy suggestion will be appreciated, If anyone wants to have remote access , I will be happy to share.

Thanks You

Post subject: Re: Netgear NAS Box BTRFS deleted data recovery
PostPosted: May 5th, 2018, 13:14 

If just one folder disappeared, and no messages of importance in the log of the NAS, then it was deleted or moved someplace.

Since the case started, have you already done clones of both disks ASAP ? or are the customer still running the equipment ?

One plan of attack would be to install two new disks, fill them with some data, then delete part of it, to have material for research in a known situation with known missing data. Then you can try specifics software in it. Also analyze the source code for the firmware of that NAS ( I suppose it is linux, no ? ) to see if something can be learned from it.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2018, 3:29 

Hi rogfanther
Thanks a lot for suggestions. I have checked logs but logs dont give any details of data deletion. Nas box is having 2 disks ( mirrored)
Customer has immediately stopped usage after detecting this incident so fortunately no overwritting has taken place.
I have not cloned disks because already mirrored disk is available. Besides windows cant write a bit on foreign file system so its relatively safe.Only a single software vendor has replied positively , I am trying there solution now.I will post outcome .

PostPosted: May 6th, 2018, 8:13 

Reclaime should be able to scan BTRFS drives in a Windows environment.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2018, 8:25 

Hi Spildit
Yes sure I will update you. After lots of R & D finally I have got some success ,but still its long way to go.
Thank you

PostPosted: May 6th, 2018, 9:09 

posidon wrote:
Hi rogfanther
Thanks a lot for suggestions. I have checked logs but logs dont give any details of data deletion. Nas box is having 2 disks ( mirrored)
Customer has immediately stopped usage after detecting this incident so fortunately no overwritting has taken place.
I have not cloned disks because already mirrored disk is available. Besides windows cant write a bit on foreign file system so its relatively safe.Only a single software vendor has replied positively , I am trying there solution now.I will post outcome .

Either way, a third clone of the disk wouldn´t hurt, as insurance.

Also, the idea was to see if the logs registered something about data corruption, RW errors, or other events that could lead the the folder disappearing.

Please inform us if some software can solve it.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2018, 15:28 

Immediatly separate both mirrored disks .
Scan them independently with UFS Pro tool.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2018, 13:17 

Hi DR-Kiev
Thanks a lot. I tried to scan disk using latest version of UFS explorer but I found program interface bit complicated. Program has not shown required data properly as well. Earlier I tried to scan disk using Pc3000 UDMA as well but again I did not got expected result.
However ReclaiME has identified BTRFS partition within seconds & it has even shown data folders.
I think ReclaiMe is the only tool currently available which fully supports BTRFS which is being replaced by EXT4.
There must be millions of Netgear NAS Boxes worldwide , ReclaiME has another software for advanced users. (http://www.reclaime-pro.com/Default.aspx)
Updates for the software are free & it can be used on no. of Pc's.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2018, 16:34 

I think UFS development has stopped and they focused their attention on R-Explorer. I suspect that it would work with btrfs.