All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WD20NMVW special case on DFL
PostPosted: April 30th, 2018, 9:22 

Hi there every body, I have a WD20NMVW-11AV3S3 with serial number as WX11A8420D3Y.
The drive had gone slow. It detected normally(with the slowness), let me backup entire firmware and ROM.
Then I did a slow read fix followed by SMART reset over usb (which possibly can be the wrong step here).
Also mods 123,124,125,126,D002,D003 had checksum error which i corrected over usb itself.
Now after disconnecting the USB cable i reconnected it only to see the whole data is encrypted!
Earlier when it was first plugged in, it showed DATA and allowed me to backup the FW little slowly. However after the fix, the data is encrypted!

How can i reverse this and get the data decrypted.

The drive IDs and detects normally.
----
Repatching 02 32 and SMART modules with original backup doesnt decrypt data.

Also, would it be worth to try reallymine.

The HW USB/SATA chip is ASMEDIA 1501W.

--

Post subject: Re: WD20NMVW special case on DFL
PostPosted: April 30th, 2018, 17:40 

If you really made a backup of the entire firmware, the easier first step will probably to restore this backup to the drive. If you can get the drive in the original situation, slow but reading, then you can rethink the strategy.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2018, 16:29 

Hi I was able to fix the drive. It was such a beautiful case study for me in terms of some key observations.
I had full SA backup...Plus the drive is healthy, so I knew I could always rewrite the SA and I did.
On doing so, the drive maintained its capacity and other detection parameters normally but on scanning the drive i got encrypted data only and that too OVER USB! So when i do hex view, the data is encrypted and that too over USB...so I believe the ASMEDIA chip practically did nothing or may be was instructed to do nothing..
Now every time I tried to rewrite 123 124 125 126 and D002 D003, it never wrote it by ID....i had to access the mod by aba, select all the hex values and 'replace selected' with the required module and finally push the write button and It wrote nicely.

Now some things
1)Rewriting SA yields normal capacity but encrypted data
2)did mods to track and wrote the tracks. All capacity ok..but the moment i try to scan the drive, the drive used to spin down and power cycle!!! WOW( Didnt have original track backups)

So finally, what i did was to write the stuff using the tracks and write 123,124,125,126 and D002 D003 by ABA by manually opening the mod,replacing the data values with the original counterparts and pushing the write button ( this is not conventional way to write MODS...If i use the utility to write, mods were unchanged.

So the goal was set to restore 123 124 125 126 D002 D003 with absolutely original data and state..By state I mean it was READ OK, ERROR CHECKSUM.
Once I did that I got un encrypted data over USB....now if I assume the ASMEDIA chip did nothing, by that logic, i should get decrypted data over SATA too...I shall try that in a day and let you know.

the said mods were found in RAM of the drive too...so I believe they may have some information, pointers or keys or some logic to decrypt the data.

More you can analyze faaaar better. This is just a small case report and observations that I wanted to share.

rgds
--

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2018, 16:40 

rogfanther wrote:
If you really made a backup of the entire firmware, the easier first step will probably to restore this backup to the drive. If you can get the drive in the original situation, slow but reading, then you can rethink the strategy.

Hi yes, since i did a limited set of actions..I preferred only to restore the state of the modules by hook or crook which gave me the result....
on doing it, the drive gave data nicely! :)

Also Slow read fix was not the cause of failure...it was the other said modules..they should be included in the list of key modules required for data recover of such WD Models ?

It will be great if some one verifies this with another WD20NMVW GREEN

rgds
--

Last edited by sin on May 3rd, 2018, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2018, 16:51 

Spildit wrote:
Maybe this is the result of BUGS on the DFL tool ?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Exactly my friend. Even I am thinking in the same direction.

rgds
--

PostPosted: May 4th, 2018, 10:08 

Hi there. Sure. I am very very new to way Marvel configuration..Currently I have 64Bit windows 7. I can surely downgrade to 32BIT if that is required. Sorry, I have read 0 documentation of Marvell and high time I read it up and have it up an running. Also,DFL has option to write by ABA0 /ABA 1 or ID.

Much love to every one,

rgds
--

PostPosted: May 9th, 2018, 12:01 

Hi, Didnt get a chance to check on Marvell.. It is just too buggy on my computer. Now the HDD is not with me as I have extracted the DATA and closed the case.
However, I have a HUBLT2 with same mods as error checksum and read ok.
The track on which relo is present is bad
Relo can not be moved to any other track as 01 can not be written after the record change.
However, I can read the ABA sector and patch another relo and write ok provided i keep the reading length less!
I am creating a new post.
It is a LPCX black.

rgds
--

PostPosted: May 9th, 2018, 17:29 

Sure, that will be done in a few days time. Straight away the most reliable tool in the market is what we are aiming for.

Did a nice trick, the relo track was not able to open up fully, however it could be read with lesser length.

I changed the length of the module 32 in RAM to 10 units and simply tried to scan the data...It gave access to the user area.

Simply removed the DFL cable and attached it to DDI. Imaging good now.

I dont know, all modern drives have those said modules as readable but no CRC.

DDI is just doing great job.

Rgds
--

PostPosted: May 10th, 2018, 15:50 

Undeniably. Marvell is highly acclaimed.

I have purchased it thrice already for 30 days. Sadly I do not think so the author will agree to accept remaining amount and give me a life time version.

Let me think over and buy. There is one friend in Rajasthan,India who is extremely happy with it. So it is already there on my list.
Hope marvell has better knowledgebase than DFL.

Thanks

rgds
--

PostPosted: May 11th, 2018, 8:50 

This is marvell and dfl side by side over USB. DFL reads every module as you can see.. ??Marvell??

Attachments:
Marvell.png
Marvell.png [ 199.88 KiB | Viewed 44893 times ]

PostPosted: May 11th, 2018, 8:53 

Spildit wrote:
Just try the free DEMO and check if it can read your modules on that drive without CRC error !!!! If it can something is VERY WRONG with your DFL tool ...

You shouldn't be doing that manipulation in RAM as well to bypass the re-lo problem.

Your DFL most likely doesn't know how to properly read the module directory on modern drives and you are risking to cause huge irreversible damage to those drives if you continue to use it like you are doing.

Check with WDMarvel DEMO or SEDIV DEMO !!! If those can properly read the modules then next step is compare the modules with the ones DFL did read ...

Can you please explain what could be other alternatives. Moving the module on other track is not possible as DFL and marvell (registered) both fail to write the entry table changes in 01 suggesting write failure.

I believe any change done in the RAM SHOULD be temporary. Right?

PostPosted: December 4th, 2018, 3:00 

I think this might be a result of misoperations due to poor details provided by DFL staff about how to manipulate 02 module with the purpose to turn off SED.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2018, 4:35 

sin wrote:
Also mods 123,124,125,126,D002,D003 had checksum error which i corrected over usb itself.

i think not possible to recover after this, because you are erased keys for encryption

PostPosted: December 12th, 2018, 8:45 

Hi Yustik, I had backup of the Service Area. I had restored the drive correctly as you can see in the third or fourth post on page 1.

I had copies of 123 124 125 126 D002 D003 original.

--

PostPosted: December 12th, 2018, 9:52 

sin, sorry :-) so much letters
but in future don't read this files by ID and be happy :-) by ID it always incorrect

PostPosted: July 5th, 2020, 15:14 

Noted

thanks

--