All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WD Elements failing SMART & speed too slow to rescue! HLEP!
PostPosted: May 12th, 2018, 16:47 

My model is wdbu6y0020bbk-01 (wd elements 2tb) and the firmware version is 01.01A01
Is there a better way around this in order to extract my 1.7TB of data? Windows says 700 KB/s and Clonzilla too (speed keeps droping slowly on colnzilla while on Windows it just keeps moving up (max 700KB/s and down to around 300KB/s and up again..
Iv'e also tried swiching to a USB 2.0 port, nothing changed..

I stopped trying to copy my data out since i'm afariad if this goes on for a month, maybe the HDD will die first..

I have no monay for a lab right now :( so I really hope someone has an idea or some further questions in order to help me, Thanks!!

Post subject: Re: WD Elements failing SMART & speed too slow to rescue! HL
PostPosted: May 14th, 2018, 7:04 

Spildit wrote:
it might be tricky to apply the slow fix yourself and even more clone/image the drive by USB if it does have several bad blocks.

Well, it's the only chance i HAVE :) SO I NEED TO TRY IT.. any other tips before i try this via USB? should i try first to fix bad sectors somehow?? Thank you!

PostPosted: May 14th, 2018, 18:52 

If you are ok with risking your data ( and it is your data, not a customer´s ) , then go on.

Fix the slow problem first, then copy/clone the drive. Do not lose time trying to fix bad sectors.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2018, 3:38 

Thank you so much!!!
Just to be clear, why are bad sectors risking the data itself?

PostPosted: May 15th, 2018, 8:31 

Because bad sectors can easily kill heads.
Damaged heads then can scratch platters surface.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2018, 9:21 

Well, first off I have to thank you sooooooo much for your super kind help and knowladge!
I'm trying to understand a bit more on the subject https://archive.techarp.com/showarticle0d87.html
Is there any way I can buy some tool to do a more profesional fix by myself?

PostPosted: May 15th, 2018, 9:55 

What you need is a tool and PRO technician that can RECOVER your data.
Do not even try to fix your drive, you will kill heads and surface!
HDD repairing is not synonymous of data recovery!

A tech pro will be able to fix slow issue with proper tools, the mean of this is to stabilize the hard drive and manage data recovery, not to fix bad sectors.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2018, 18:37 

Helpneededhere wrote:
Well, first off I have to thank you sooooooo much for your super kind help and knowladge!
I'm trying to understand a bit more on the subject https://archive.techarp.com/showarticle0d87.html
Is there any way I can buy some tool to do a more profesional fix by myself?

No use in wasting more then 1,000 dollars to rescue some data in only one disk. And still risking to destroy it.

If you really need the data, send it to a professional.
If you cannot pay for the professional, then do what was suggested before ( slow fix then clone disk ). Just that, do not walk astray of the right path.

Things like that site won´t help you. What we mean is that some bad sectors could be physical, and if you keep trying to read them to "fix" them, damage the heads. And damaged heads may damage other areas of the platter. And the things about risking the data is because people have experience with having seen people destroy data in a myriad ways, no only a specific one, be it by distraction, lack of luck, excess of confidence, etc. Sometimes, ideas that seen so impossible, but someone has imagined and done it. Need a funny example ? I was brought a router to "fix" once. The router was misbehaving, so the guy decided to cut the psu body (5V DC) out of the cable, and just connect the two wires to the electrical outlet ( 127V AC here ) . When asked why do such crazy thing, he just could say he tried it to see if it maybe would work.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2018, 19:16 

Hey man, you can still save your drive. Use HDClone and do a sector by sector copy/clone of your drive, set the config to SmartCopy and make sure you check Avoid Exclusive read access in Advanced Options and you should be able to copy your drive moderately fast. After you clone your drive, perform a recovery on it with a software of your choice.

Let me know if that works. If it does not, I can suggest a few more workarounds.

Good luck!

PostPosted: May 15th, 2018, 21:52 

First, since no one has asked yet, can you post the results of SMART? You can use CrystalDiskInfo to get the SMART status of the drive.

So can anyone confirm if this drive is known to be locked from SA access? @Spildit I am assuming that it is since you said it would be hard to perform the slow fix? Otherwise the OP could use HDDSuperTool to do the slow fix and then attempt to clone the drive. If it can be read in Windows now, it at least likely does not have a damaged head (yet).

But if the slow fix cannot be easily applied, then there is almost no way you would be able to do it yourself. So that would leave two options considering you said you don’t have the money for professional repair. It all comes down to how important the data is to you.

Option #1: Stop messing with the drive, and put it somewhere safe until you can save up enough money for pro recovery. As stated, it would likely be an easy recovery for a pro at this time, meaning it should hopefully be on the low end of the cost scale. But if you keep messing with it, you could make it much more expensive if not impossible to recover.

Option #2: Try to clone or image the drive with HDDSuperClone or ddrescue. This would require running Linux from a live cd, and obviously take a long time considering the slow nature (unless you can apply the slow fix). Don’t use Windows, as you need something that can handle bad sectors and can be resumed if interrupted (make sure you are saving the log file to an external drive when using a live cd). You can hope it will work and that the drive will not die, but if it does then option #1 will get much more expensive if not impossible. Your choice.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2018, 9:14 

Well, i thank you all very very much for your help so far! its worth alot alreday!! so i will take a few days to start learning how to aply the "slow fix". I hope the god of HDD will help me too lol

PostPosted: May 16th, 2018, 10:16 

There is likely more risk than reward trying to get this done without professional assistance.

Its quite simple - if data is important, then send to a professional who at this stage I expect would not charge a high fee. It may be possible to find some commercial tool that allows modification of SA to solve this issue, however most will require a SATA connection (apart from some of the really serious hardware) which you do not have - this means even more work getting it into a condition you can work with.

Other option is proceed to image this with various tools until HDD dies a bad death.

"Slow Problem" relates to an internal table of defective sectors pending relocation - the fact this defect table is likely full is suggestive of a number of surface errors (bad sectors) and repeated attempts to access and read from this will only make the device more and more unreliable.

In my opinion, you might be lucky to get a partial image at best with basic software and image tools, and probably drive condition will deteriorate.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2018, 8:54 

maximus wrote:
First, since no one has asked yet, can you post the results of SMART? You can use CrystalDiskInfo to get the SMART status of the drive.

I have WDC SMART check photo, is it good? or do you guys need me to install CrystalDiskInfo? Image

PostPosted: May 17th, 2018, 17:49 

Helpneededhere wrote:
I have WDC SMART check photo, is it good? or do you guys need me to install CrystalDiskInfo?

Unfortunately that WDC SMART does not seem to report the raw values, which can help with the diagnosis. So yes, please post the result from CrystalDiskInfo. You don't have to install it if you don't want to, just download the zip file under the CrystalDiskInfo Standard Edition from here:
https://crystalmark.info/en/download/
Extract it to a folder and run the executable (either the 32 or 64 bit depending on your system).

PostPosted: May 29th, 2018, 6:54 

hddguy wrote:
"Slow Problem" relates to an internal table of defective sectors pending relocation - the fact this defect table is likely full is suggestive of a number of surface errors (bad sectors) and repeated attempts to access and read from this will only make the device more and more unreliable.

It can be clearly seen from the SMART results that the relocated sector count has exceeded its available threshold which confirms the issue related to defective blocks pending relocation as I already suggested and this can in itself be a symptom of something a lot more serious such as a failed or failing head and extraction of the data without first remedying this issue will simply not work well.