All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seagate NA882WB9 external harddrive
PostPosted: July 6th, 2018, 13:00 

Hi Everyone, new to forum please let me know if I violate any rules with this post and Ill try to correct.

I have seagate NA882WB9 external harddrive

WHAT HAPPENED
Possibly:
Linux computer shut down without properly unmounting drive?
bad i/o?

CURRENT STATUS
I cant get my linux computer to see drive at all. After downloading SeaTools I was able to get a windows 10 PC to show the drive. It shows as having 44gb of space remaining. I can click into the drive and see my top level directories. However if I try to copy and paste or click into second level of directories the drive gets hung up.

Plugging in drive the blue light comes on. Every once and a while (usually when doing SeaTools scan) the blue light will blink (usually a good sign). That usually means that the drive is about to get discovered.

Add remove hardware (device manager) from control panel shows drive (seagate expansion) but without details like how much storage space.

Recently I have had trouble getting any computer to see the drive besides showing up in Device Manager and unmount.

WHAT I HAVE TRIED SO FAR
-Windows 10 drive properties, check disk
Says no reason to scan, drive operational. Scan anyway freezes.

-Update driver says firmware is up-to-date, provider windows. However its dated 2009?

-Chkdsk on CMD, windows 10 and windows 10 bios CMD (advanced restart - advanced options - CMD)
can see drive, chkdsk /f and chkdsk /r freeze or fail

-testdisk on windows 10
can see drive, scans but says unable to find partition
quick scan says 48 bad sectors (?)
unable to get to step to write to IMG or preview files

-SeaTools on windows 10
sometimes SeaTools cant find the drive. It takes a few scans, unmounting drive, different usb port, scan again, restart computer, before I can get SeaTools to see drive.

Fix All, Short and long scans fail pretty much immediately.

-SeaTools bootable
pretty much same results as SeaTools on windows 10
{cool, tiny core linux!]

WHAT STEP TO DO NEXT?

other details:
The drive has had alot of read/write, mainly with running a bitcoin full node (not for very long though, maybe a week total). Twice I have downloaded the whole blockchain, about 170gb.

The drive has always made, what Ive thought of as a bad sound, when disconnecting after unmounting, similar to the sound of hard-shutting down a computer by holding power button. Otherwise the drive sounds fine, I feel vibration of spinning, no clicking or anything.

thank you!

Post subject: Re: Seagate NA882WB9 external harddrive
PostPosted: July 6th, 2018, 18:24 

Thanks for your response Spildit,

I have other data besides the bitcoin that id like to recover. I understamd that professional recovery it at very least $300+? Id like to recover the data but it isn't worth that much. Id risk losing it with a DIY solution rather than spend 300+, unless shopping around for DR will bring the price down substantially.

Anyway for me to discover if the harddrive is software problem vs hardware problem?

I will look into the DIY stuff you mentioned.