Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

How can I clean fingerprints from the top platter?

August 4th, 2018, 18:46

Hey guys, today I have a total horror case on my table. The HDD came to my lab not even with the head screw screwed in completely. The screws are looking like some one was using a flat screwdriver to undo them. And on the top surface I saw two fingerprints and a fine scratch on the surface about 7mm from the outer side. Normally I would reject the case, but the owner of this drive want to give a try, so she sent a donor drive in, that I can use. So I'd like to give it a try.

My first problem is, how can I get rid of the fingerprints? Can I just use clean room wipes to wipe the fingerprints off? Another Option would be these Lens Pens.
Attachments
IMG_20180805_002503.jpg
Fingerprint
IMG_20180805_001613.jpg
Dents in the top lid
IMG_20180805_001742.jpg
No Comment

Re: How can I clean fingerprints from the top platter?

August 6th, 2018, 16:22

I think Lens Pens changed their construction from a black felt-type element to something lighter that makes things worse. I don't recommend them anymore.

August 6th, 2018, 16:44

jono-ats wrote:I think Lens Pens changed their construction from a black felt-type element to something lighter that makes things worse. I don't recommend them anymore.

So what's a better option? Clean room wipes?

August 7th, 2018, 12:32

I've used these combined with 100% IPA a few times to clean fingerprints off: https://www.soscleanroom.com/product/sw ... S0QAvD_BwE

Just be prepared that even with multiple thorough cleanings you may still have to remove the heads and clean the sliders a few times.

August 7th, 2018, 16:23

A suggestion.
Have you tried cleaning with cotton swabs, without any product, and constantly changing the stick?

If you want you can do the test with a disk that you have for the tests.
One of my first tests was to dirty dishes and clean them.

August 7th, 2018, 16:51

mhp666 wrote:A suggestion.
Have you tried cleaning with cotton swabs, ...

I was taught that you should only use lint-free cleaning materials.

August 7th, 2018, 16:55

You're right, I should not have made the comment.
The product that has indicated data-medics I liked it.

August 8th, 2018, 12:19

Hi,
We here at CDRLabs ,India Have a Near Perfect Way of Doing This ,Our Customers are more creative then what i see in the first post .

August 8th, 2018, 13:20

Don't you guys all just love the "we have a perfect solution" (followed by absolutely no meaningful input) type of comments.

I think some guys actually think that by constantly using this "I know something you don't know" type of remarks people will start to believe it. Guess what, it doesn't work. I'll believe you actually know something meaningful the day you share it.

August 8th, 2018, 17:05

data-medics wrote:I think some guys actually think that by constantly using this "I know something you don't know" type of remarks people will start to believe it. Guess what, it doesn't work. I'll believe you actually know something meaningful the day you share it.

+1, and thanks for your earlier post, BTW.

August 8th, 2018, 23:12

data-medics wrote:Don't you guys all just love the "we have a perfect solution" (followed by absolutely no meaningful input) type of comments.

I think some guys actually think that by constantly using this "I know something you don't know" type of remarks people will start to believe it. Guess what, it doesn't work. I'll believe you actually know something meaningful the day you share it.

Well,
Solve a Case Open A Drive Put Your Fingerprints ,Send It Over And I Will Recover It ,As Simple As It Can Be .Why Do We Have To share Each And every thing When We Were At the Same Very Stage None Of The Guys shared It ,They All Gave Pointers .So We Picked Up The Pointers And Experimented Wasted Our Time Researched And After That Much Effort You Want Us To Just Go To a forum And Post It Lolz .

PS : BTW This is Nothing Its Peanuts ,Now We Do Rosewood Platter Cleaning Also To Perfectionnnnnnnnnnnnn :lol:
Post a reply