All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lexar 'Wide Body' Flash Drive
PostPosted: August 7th, 2018, 14:07 

Had one of these in for the first time. I can see it has the crystal missing. I have tried searching for a donor on eBay and Amazon but can't find one. Anyone have the same board you can send me details of the crystal so I can try to match it?

Many thanks

Attachments:
20180807_105844.jpg
20180807_105844.jpg [ 2.46 MiB | Viewed 10451 times ]
20180807_105814.jpg
20180807_105814.jpg [ 2.44 MiB | Viewed 10451 times ]

Post subject: Re: Lexar 'Wide Body' Flash Drive
PostPosted: August 7th, 2018, 17:01 

Match the crystal to the controller.

BTW, I notice that you have a frustrating habit of clipping important information. Many problems are better understood when the context is complete. From my perspective, I would prefer to see full detailed photos of both sides, with identifiable part markings.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2018, 17:14 

We store donors by controller manufacturer + storage capacity if you want to add that info.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2018, 17:48 

fzabkar wrote:
Match the crystal to the controller.

BTW, I notice that you have a frustrating habit of clipping important information. Many problems are better understood when the context is complete. From my perspective, I would prefer to see full detailed photos of both sides, with identifiable part markings.

Well I consider myself admonished for not sending a full shot of the board which I apologize for :shock:, but I was just asking for information on the crystal if anyone had a donor just for simplicity sake. I have attached a full picture of the board, but it is just the crystal we need for the time being. AFAIK there are no other problems. I also have no idea how to match a crystal to a controller?

Blizzard wrote:
We store donors by controller manufacturer + storage capacity if you want to add that info.

Controller is Lexar FC1692-TC-AC

I could of course do a chip off, but don't want to mention that yet for fear of further admonishment :wink:

Attachments:
20180807_144311.jpg
20180807_144311.jpg [ 2.84 MiB | Viewed 10417 times ]
20180807_144325.jpg
20180807_144325.jpg [ 2.87 MiB | Viewed 10417 times ]

PostPosted: August 7th, 2018, 18:09 

ddrecovery wrote:
Well I consider myself admonished for not sending a full shot of the board which I apologize for :shock:, but I was just asking for information on the crystal if anyone had a donor just for simplicity sake.

You appear to lack a basic understanding of electronics. Essentially you have asked the wrong question.

A particular flash controller will normally be optimised for a specific crystal frequency. Therefore we would need to know the identity of the controller before we would be able to suggest a suitable crystal. It may very well be that your Lexar FC1692-TC-AC is used in other PCBs, not just your lonely example.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2018, 18:38 

fzabkar wrote:
A particular flash controller will normally be optimised for a specific crystal frequency. Therefore we would need to know the identity of the controller before we would be able to suggest a suitable crystal. It may very well be that your Lexar FC1692-TC-AC is used in other PCBs, not just your lonely example.

I thought my lack of knowledge would have been obvious from my last post but thanks for pointing it out again.

ddrecovery wrote:
I also have no idea how to match a crystal to a controller?

I certainly do not want to fall out with you as you have been extremely helpful to me in the past, but cut me a little slack. We are not all as learned as you in electronics.

This controller, as well as the flash drive is old school and has not been used for years. They were only used on very small flash drives such 256-512mb. I searched the PC3000 database for it and out of thousands of controllers there was only reference to one.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2018, 18:53 

I'll check in the morning, seems like I saw at least one of these that was transparent purple and probably a 512MB. Maybe we'll get lucky and it's the same.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2018, 18:55 

Blizzard wrote:
I'll check in the morning, seems like I saw at least one of these that was transparent purple and probably a 512MB. Maybe we'll get lucky and it's the same.

Much appreciated.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2018, 19:38 

chip off shouldnt present a problem in this case. If you are careful removing NAND, you could always put it back on.

I would be very surprised if you find any documentation on the controller to be able to use to match it. Flash drives usually use 12MHz.

Often you repair any electronic issue you find but drive still doesnt work. By now you could have unsoldered NAND, read chip, found if supported by tools, and soldered back on.

just find any 12.000 with similar footprint from an older drive and try it. I think these are rebranded Silicon Motion controllers, SM321 or 324. Usually no XOR and either no mix or very simple.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2018, 20:30 

HaQue wrote:
chip off shouldnt present a problem in this case. If you are careful removing NAND, you could always put it back on.

I would be very surprised if you find any documentation on the controller to be able to use to match it. Flash drives usually use 12MHz.

Often you repair any electronic issue you find but drive still doesnt work. By now you could have unsoldered NAND, read chip, found if supported by tools, and soldered back on.

just find any 12.000 with similar footprint from an older drive and try it. I think these are rebranded Silicon Motion controllers, SM321 or 324. Usually no XOR and either no mix or very simple.

I hear the voice of reason.... I did find a 12MHz crystal and the data is saving off now. This forum can be cruel as well as extremely useful. You get admonished for doing chip offs instead of testing the board, when you do test the board you get admonished for not knowing enough, while all the time just trying to protect the clients data.

I would do a chip off, but I normally try board fixes while I wait for approval for the client. TSOP chips and heat are not good friends so I always try the board stuff first.

Thanks everyone for another successful recovery.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2018, 20:32 

ddrecovery wrote:
fzabkar wrote:

I thought my lack of knowledge would have been obvious from my last post but thanks for pointing it out again.

ddrecovery wrote:
I also have no idea how to match a crystal to a controller?

I certainly do not want to fall out with you as you have been extremely helpful to me in the past, but cut me a little slack. We are not all as learned as you in electronics.

This controller, as well as the flash drive is old school and has not been used for years. They were only used on very small flash drives such 256-512mb. I searched the PC3000 database for it and out of thousands of controllers there was only reference to one.

To put your question in perspective, imagine that a DR pro posted a photo clip of an SDRAM and missing crystal from an unidentified HDD PCB and asked the same question. What would you think?

As for being learned in electronics, we're talking Electronics 101, nothing more. Everyone who is working with solid state storage should have basic electronic knowledge as a prerequisite. You owe it to your customers. But that is a subject which you brought up, not me. I was merely expressing my frustration at the lack of pertinent information.

As for your recent pics, they tell us that your flash drive was probably manufactured in early 2005 (the controller has a date code of week 52, 2004). The NAND appears to be a K9K4G08U0M (512M x 8 Bit / 256M x 16 Bit). All of this information, including the identity of the controller, should have been provided in the original post. Surely that's obvious?

PostPosted: August 7th, 2018, 20:44 

I refer you to my above answer and defer to your greater knowledge.

I thought it was just a crystal replacement (which it was) which on flash drives normally come in two flavors 12MHz and 24MHz, but wanted to make sure I had the right one. I did not consider all the other factors pertinent at the time, but now I do.

Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 15:06 

ddrecovery wrote:
Blizzard wrote:

Much appreciated.
Sorry! It's an old 64MB. Isn't it a beauty though :)

PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 15:10 

Blizzard wrote:
ddrecovery wrote:
Blizzard wrote:

Much appreciated.
Sorry! It's an old 64MB. Isn't it a beauty though :)

Thank you for looking. And yes the old one are great to look at. The boards are about the size of an ironing board lol.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2018, 21:06 

Late to the party, but here is that flash drive :)
It was a 12MHz crystal.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2018, 12:11 

Blizzard wrote:
Late to the party, but here is that flash drive :)
It was a 12MHz crystal.

Many thanks for sticking with this. We did get the data back with the 12MHz crystal.