All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quantom Drives
PostPosted: August 14th, 2018, 9:12 

Well this sounds really funny but i really encourage you guys to try it..

Try to connect any of those bigfoot drives to your 3k, ddi, or any other tool you have and try to access sectors

really funny

Image attached, 2 drives here , one of them is mine the other is for my client (both working)

This is real case AM NOT JOKING

give it a shot.

Attachments:
IMG_0230.JPG
IMG_0230.JPG [ 2.36 MiB | Viewed 11395 times ]

Post subject: Re: Quantom Drives
PostPosted: August 14th, 2018, 13:39 

Works with a 20GB, 2.5GB and a 1.2GB on DDI4 for me.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Du1QuLKBZ8dntfK58

PostPosted: August 14th, 2018, 17:46 

It has been mentioned before that some of the popular hardware imagers (including pc3k, maybe some versions work and some don't) do not work well with old C/H/S drives that do not support LBA. I am guessing from the labels the drives in question do not support LBA. Slight oversight on their part not to include support for the older standard. Hook them up to a computer with the native PATA/IDE port, the computer does not have to be old, and then boot from a Linux Live CD to access the data. If there are bad sectors, recent versions of HDDSuperClone should be able to handle the C/H/S for cloning. It is amazing that some of the high priced hardware tools have a problem with those older drives, but yet they can be accessed from a simple Linux Live CD (XP might work too) :)

PostPosted: August 14th, 2018, 17:53 

I like those drives. :D

Attachments:
IMG_20180814_235002.jpg
IMG_20180814_235002.jpg [ 1.6 MiB | Viewed 11329 times ]

PostPosted: August 14th, 2018, 18:21 

PC-3000 works fine with old C/H/S drives in my experience. I've gone as low as 400Mb drives.

You just have to know how to set up the CHS for it to work. And, for awhile the menu was a bit hidden and not obvious to find. The first time I had to do it, it took hours to figure out how to configure it for CHS. Now they've made it much more obvious where to set it up.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2018, 20:34 

I think the point should be that there should be no reason to have to figure out special settings to access a C/H/S drive. It is as simple as a single bit in the identify device results, if that bit is 1 then LBA is supported, if that bit is 0 then LBA is not supported and C/H/S should be used. I am an amateur, and when I addressed this in my software, it only took me a weekend to do it and it is automatic with no user intervention. Why would the big dogs make it so difficult?

PostPosted: August 15th, 2018, 3:04 

lcoughey wrote:
Works with a 20GB, 2.5GB and a 1.2GB on DDI4 for me.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Du1QuLKBZ8dntfK58

Really? i tried almost everything with both drives DDI ID the drive slow but did not read/access any sector no matter what i do

data-medics wrote:
PC-3000 works fine with old C/H/S drives in my experience. I've gone as low as 400Mb drives.

You just have to know how to set up the CHS for it to work. And, for awhile the menu was a bit hidden and not obvious to find. The first time I had to do it, it took hours to figure out how to configure it for CHS. Now they've made it much more obvious where to set it up.

Tried that did not work in fact did not read ID in DE (would u like to try it here?)

My Quantom am sure its working 4gb, i used it long time for me and 100% works,
the client hdd is giving the same symptoms as mine (so am assuming both are OK) its just the PIO reading more

btw, for you Luke & data-medics, i was able to access sectors (but no data at all) not even raw, looks like data been shifted or something or reading wrong/errors i dono
never had similar case before.

PostPosted: August 15th, 2018, 3:43 

forgot to add, Believe it or not i had to try my very old pc with those drives just to verify and know where the hell is the problem
do not feel shocked while looking @ this..

Am keeping my lovely 486 DX AST PC (https://www.instagram.com/p/BN2qbw_lVQY ... tarecovery)
just to remember those old days...

:mrgreen:

Attachments:
IMG_0231.JPG
IMG_0231.JPG [ 2.09 MiB | Viewed 11264 times ]
IMG_0232.JPG
IMG_0232.JPG [ 2.3 MiB | Viewed 11264 times ]

PostPosted: August 15th, 2018, 18:40 

Quote:
i was able to access sectors (but no data at all) not even raw, looks like data been shifted or something or reading wrong/errors i dono

That is a sign that the software is trying to read LBA and not CHS. A dead giveaway would be that you can't read sector 0, but you can read sector 1 and it looks like it should be sector 0.

PostPosted: August 15th, 2018, 18:43 

Quote:
forgot to add, Believe it or not i had to try my very old pc with those drives just to verify and know where the hell is the problem

Am keeping my lovely 486 DX AST PC (https://www.instagram.com/p/BN2qbw_lVQY ... tarecovery)
just to remember those old days...

While it is always nice to keep an old computer around for the odd things, you don't need that old of a computer to access the drives. See the references below for successful cases like yours:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35277
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35714

PostPosted: August 16th, 2018, 2:38 

maximus wrote:
Quote:
i was able to access sectors (but no data at all) not even raw, looks like data been shifted or something or reading wrong/errors i dono

That is a sign that the software is trying to read LBA and not CHS. A dead giveaway would be that you can't read sector 0, but you can read sector 1 and it looks like it should be sector 0.

I can

the Q is why universal and not DE?

Attachments:
q.jpg
q.jpg [ 154.04 KiB | Viewed 11172 times ]

PostPosted: August 16th, 2018, 17:04 

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-drives-hdd/quantum/BIGFOOT-CY-2111AT-2111MB-5-25-SL-ATA2-FAST.html

Quote:
QUANTUM BIGFOOT CY2,1/4,3/6,4AT PRODUCT MANUAL 81-113668-01 11/96

The Quantum drives support both the Extended CHS (Cylinder Head Sector) and LBA (Logical Block Address) addressing methods in overcoming the 528 MB DOS capacity barrier.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2018, 20:17 

einstein9 wrote:
maximus wrote:
Quote:

I can

That would be a question to ask of the manufacturer support of the tool(s) that are unable to properly read the drives. You paid good money for those tools, so hopefully their support would be able to answer. All I can do is offer a working alternative solution, as shown in the successful case links I provided.

According to the data that fzabkar provided, it would seem the drives should support LBA access, so that makes it even more confusing as to why there is an issue.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2018, 2:52 

maximus wrote:
einstein9 wrote:
maximus wrote:
Quote:

I can

That would be a question to ask of the manufacturer support of the tool(s) that are unable to properly read the drives. You paid good money for those tools, so hopefully their support would be able to answer. All I can do is offer a working alternative solution, as shown in the successful case links I provided.

According to the data that fzabkar provided, it would seem the drives should support LBA access, so that makes it even more confusing as to why there is an issue.

Its not worth even look at it or researching,, will find something more important than this case,,, but good to know about

PostPosted: September 6th, 2018, 9:57 

einstein9 wrote:

Am keeping my lovely 486 DX AST PC
How we can not to feel shocked, when you show us a 486 DX with AGP support? :mrgreen: