All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...

Post subject: ATA over TCP-IP
PostPosted: September 26th, 2018, 4:42 

Hi there is one real life problem that I believe can be solved. There are just so many people in India doing DR at various levels.
Not every one can afford equipment. People who spend hard earned money buy tools which we know are very expensive.
I believe there should be a way to have 2x small dev boards that have SATA and Ethernet...Like a Banana-pi.
The small time computer shop fellow who doesn't have DR tools can have this Banana Pi and connect his HDD.

The DR Lab who has tools has another banana pi which connects to ethernet and converts the data sent by the remote guys Banana Pi which is happening over ethernet. This sata port from pro-Dr guys bananapi can be connected to DFL MRT or other tools (can risk your pc3ks) and get FW access remotely.

This I believe is a good idea for the following reasons
1)No physical delivery of the HDD is involved. Saves up on logistics...Certain Indian DR guys are very notorious. They get the hard drive and almost never work on it for 15-20 days(may be overloaded by work or just creating illusions)
2)If some one says TeamViewer does the job, then it is necessary for the remote data recovery person to own TOOLS which is expensive
3)Even if remote DR guy purchases tools and seeks TeamViewer support, the DR professionals are so insecure that they at times
disable screen of the remote pc. Cunning remote DR guys use 2 ports of the graphic card and TV can only disable video over one port while the other works. With this device, the pro data recovery guy can mask his techniques.

So without physically having the hard drive, a small tool that converts ata over tcpip and FW can be read remotely on pro tools as if drive is locally connected is the concept.

Let me know if any one wants to work alongside.

--

Post subject: Re: ATA over TCP-IP
PostPosted: September 26th, 2018, 12:25 

If only it were that simple. Buy a cheap MRT card, connect drives and have someone assist remotely.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2018, 14:53 

Hi There,
if only after studying 4 years of engineering (Bachelors in electronics and TELECOMMUNICATIONS ). Studying laplace,fourier,DTSP,Signals and systems, computer networking and communications,analog electronics, digital electronics,eletromagnetic theory,control systems and what not, if I start calling things complicated and avoid taking challenge, then shame on me and any one who did engineering.

We are a 15 year old company in Mumbai with the highest reviews. :) We would never buy MRT and ask for support...Rather this sinister plan is to reach remote parts of India and fetch work in one way.

--

PostPosted: September 26th, 2018, 15:35 

But, would it not be cheaper to put a $300 card in a $500 system, throw on TeamViewer and simply assist them remotely when needed? Perhaps the internet connections are faster and more stable there in rural India than they are here in Canada, but I wouldn't even want to consider trying to work with a drive's firmware where it depended on the internet connection.

That said, let us know how you make out.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2018, 18:18 

I actually pitched this idea to Ace Laboratory years ago, but I don't think they really understood the concept I was trying to explain.

I suppose there's probably very little motivation for them since it might ultimately hurt PC-3000 sales. But, I've long wished to have some remote boxes tied to a PC-3000 channel that I could use for remote locations.

Perhaps it's good this doesn't exist though. If it did, there'd be a "DriveSaves" and "Kroll" in every PC shop in town.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2018, 8:02 

Hi folks. Being a long timer in the Professional Audio community ( Was a mix engineer and started off as 18 year old with a diploma in audio engineering in 2009)
I have eventually seen how big studios collapsed as small ones sprouted up due to availability of pro technology at a cheaper rate....However the technology in this filed will never go cheap only the fact is, there will be smaller places sprouting up any way.

I agree to the fact that 500USD MRT card can just solve the job equally by TV assistance etc.
However, starting off in the field of core communications, it will be good learning curve to bite off more than I can chew.

Also there are certain tools available off the shelf which do ATA---->USB----->TCP and try to fix firmwares remotely.
So this should be doable over a Banana Pi aswell.
@Sourcerer suggested me to go ahead with ISCSI and he is one of the kindest and sweetest person ive come across (Thanks to Fzabkar to route me to him)

I am not some one who is pro at computing, but definitely walking on the learning curve as fast I can :)

--

PostPosted: September 27th, 2018, 8:06 

I mean they could flash firmwares of a rover on mars from earth with a 15 min offset or more! :D
Right?

PostPosted: October 16th, 2018, 16:38 

HELLO, Sorry for the late reply. Exams are just about to begin and I am held up with almost 79 odd assignments to be submitted.
Professors (who cant teach) are going to butcher me.

I and a friend of mine will be working on this project in december. Will post results.

BTW very detailed response Spildit... Thanks

--