All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WD Black not detected
PostPosted: October 31st, 2018, 8:41 

Hello people, thank you for read my post, and sorry for my english.
I have a WD Black 1T that is not being detected by BIOS, Windows, Linux, etc. The hdd spins and it seems the arm is trying to read (it doesn't make clicking noise), after 1 min the hdd resets and after another minute it shuts down (in the docking station, I don't remember if when is connected directly it also shuts down).
Days before, the hdd disconnected a couple of times (was the secondary disk, so after restarting windows it was working normally), I was using a virtual machine when it failed, so I thought it was a problem with VirtualBox because crystaldisk showed that the disk was good, I only noticed that the temp was more than 50° C sometimes. Weeks ago the Back up hdd died and also another hdd (both had clicking noise), so I was uploading things to internet, but I didn't upload all (upload speed of internet is slow here).

I read someone that had similar problem and it was the PCB but it didn't work with other people, so I bought another hdd of the same model (WD1003FZEX-00Mk2A0) to try swapping the PCB. Now that I did more research including in this forum I found info and software to try to find the problem, but can't use/buy them if the disk is not being detected, so I would like to know if it is possible to bypass disk firmware with hot-swap procedure using the good hdd, and try to detect it with software like WDMarverl, in case the disk firmware is corrupted.

If the disk firmware is not the problem, I would like to try swapping the PCB, I read that someone swap the board without changing the ROM, is this something that can be tried before swapping ROM?

Post subject: Re: WD Black not detected
PostPosted: October 31st, 2018, 10:44 

redangel wrote:
I would like to try swapping the PCB, I read that someone swap the board without changing the ROM, is this something that can be tried before swapping ROM?

It won't work.

With all due respect, I think you're over your head with this one.
It looks like there is underlying mechanical damage to the drive and it's not DIY.

If data is important, I suggest you contact member beto from this forum, or contact them directly at www.itdataservices.net
They should be able to recover the data for you.

If data is not at all important, bin the drive and move on.

Good luck.