All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mean, evil computer repair biz zeroed out our SSD...?
PostPosted: January 5th, 2019, 18:45 

My oldest son had a 2013 mac pro laptop and he encountered the black screen of death after spraying the screen with screen cleaner. When we did restarts we go the start-up bong and the computer was running fine (which we know because he has an auto play music video set up and we could hear it, plus keyboard commands would work). After clearing the vram and restarting 12+ times we took it to a computer shop locally. They called two days later and said the video screen was dead,, and that it costs $589 to replace. I decided it was not worth repairing so I turned down the offer and picked it up (which the owner fought against). As soon as I did we get it home no bong, no startup, nada. So less working then previously. They did it the case opened because we found two stripped screws on bottom.

Pulled the SSD and put it into external bay and it will not show up under Mac Disk Utility or 5+ other programs I downloaded to recover crashed, deleted, corrupted drives.

Yes, paranoia has set-in. Did they intentionally erase/destroy the sdd because we didn't jump on their repair estimate? Is there something I'm missing that might be related to the fact that it has OSX high sierra on it? I did a lot of recoveries back in the SCSI days, pretty much at a loss now (

Post subject: Re: Mean, evil computer repair biz zeroed out our SSD...?
PostPosted: January 5th, 2019, 20:33 

If you have a multimeter, I could help you measure some voltage test points. To this end we would need you to upload detailed photos of each side of the SSD.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2019, 14:22 

It is possible the SSD has failed, The adapter you are using is not working properly, or possible the shop did something to it. Hard to tell, too many variables.

Based on your name I am assuming you are in Texas, I am in Austin. If you want me to take a look at it and let you know what is going on with the SSD I can do that. I do not need to computer, just the SSD. I do not charge for evaluations. I would be very surprised if the SSD has an issue.

If you are interested i will Private message you my contact info.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2019, 14:37 

Cleanroom, please do. I've about given up. My middle son thinks its because my oldest son had FileVault running and that blocks outside viewing, but the laptop did not require a PW to access.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2019, 16:06 

I sent you a PM

PostPosted: January 7th, 2019, 19:17 

I don't know why no one is suggesting this, but if you had High Sierra on there the file system of the SSD may be APFS, in which case an older version of MacOS won't recognize and mount it.

Might not be a hardware issue or sabotage of the SSD at all.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2019, 12:15 

data-medics wrote:
I don't know why no one is suggesting this, but if you had High Sierra on there the file system of the SSD may be APFS, in which case an older version of MacOS won't recognize and mount it.

Might not be a hardware issue or sabotage of the SSD at all.

I hope it is as simple as that!

The original poster stated it was booting with the apple bong when left at the shop and then not booting with the bong when collected.

I think they either swapped out the drive or the motherboard. Or maybe they damaged the motherboard when attempting to diagnose the problem.

Another thought is if the drive has an APFS partition then it will only be seen by a later OSX version as has been mentioned.....is that before High Sierra? Also the downloaded tools used by the poster might not be up to the job ie. not new enough to be compatible?