Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

need to tranfer a PCB bios from one PCB to another

February 18th, 2019, 7:57

Hello,

I need to tranfer a PCB bios from one PCB to another. I've seen tutorials with soldering, but is there a way to do without?
Like a tool on my pc to save the bios of my not working PCB and ré-inject the save into my New PCB?

Would I need special cable or anything?

By the way, my PCB is model 2060-771737-000 and the drive in it is WD5000BMVW-11AMC50

I have tried to change the pcb but the drive still didn't work and learnt that I had to change the bios PCB from the old to the new PCB.

Thanks a lot to anybody who can Help!!

Re: need to tranfer a PCB bios from one PCB to another

February 18th, 2019, 11:43

Not easily.

It may be possible to use something like WDMarvel software to save the ROM via the serial port, I don't use that software so I have no idea. Probably Spildit will be able to advise there?

Firstly, what makes you think the PCB is faulty? Is the drive totally 100% dead (no spinning, clicking or buzzing)??

Secondly, if it really is a PCB fault then your local electronic guy should be able to do it. AT YOUR RISK.

February 20th, 2019, 7:12

RESPONDING TO PCIMAGE=> Thanks a lot!
pcimage wrote:

Not easily.

It may be possible to use something like WDMarvel software to save the ROM via the serial port, I don't use that software so I have no idea. Probably Spildit will be able to advise there?

Firstly, what makes you think the PCB is faulty? Is the drive totally 100% dead (no spinning, clicking or buzzing)??

The drive is not seen anymore. It's an external 3.5 drive in a box, I haven't tried another adapter because it's a special drive WD5000BMVW-11AMC50 (see model) and I cannot put another dam standard adapter to try to see if drive is seen (anybody knows a way?°

February 20th, 2019, 7:16

RESPONDING to Spildit : Thanks, you look like an ace! ! SO advanced that when you speak it seems chinese to me, I'm trying to understand and decipher the data you have sent me.....I'll try to test but will have question I think....

If this is a WD PCB with EXTERNAL ROM chip .....

What is an external ROM chip? (sorry english is not my native tongue)=> The HDD model is in an external box enclosure, all I can say

February 20th, 2019, 7:35

The big question is ....Why do you think the problem is PCB related ?

Indeed you are write, I don't know if the PCB is related to the pb, I assume it is it's a theory.
I cannot test another "standard" SATA adaptor because the sata adaptor is integrated on the PCB mainboard
the link to the image is here:
https://www.ebay.fr/i/172811301290?chn=ps&dispItem=1

So by deduction: if I change the part, I have at least 50% chance (even more maybe) that it will work

February 20th, 2019, 7:43

Also spildit, Please tell me, concerning your 3 solutions:

What is easiest solutions? advantage/disavantage of each? What is the one with less cost.
Also I have another technical question (i've done another forum) concerning an Hard Drive recovery i've done I need an ace's advice
Post a reply