All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Understanding Toshiba drives P list G list .PBA LBA
PostPosted: January 29th, 2019, 9:11 

Hi.

I am working about fixing bad Toshiba drives (refurbish) for a while. I have lots of Toshiba drives.

Firstly every brand have different designs for p list and g list
P list = Primary Defect list.
G list = Grown Defect list
PBA = Physical Block Adress
LBA = Logical Block Adress.

Drives has millions of sectors . And so much blocks.

P list use PBA
G list use LBA
Logic scan report LBA
Cut head function just add heads PBA to P list which head wants to cut.
Cut zone use PBA

I have so much problem when I trying to add new defect to Plist or G list.

PBA never change. It's always fix so it's physical address.

LBA logical. LBA changing after every attempt listed below.
Cut head》》 LBA changing
Add new defect entry to plist , or after cut zone, or cut /shield head》LBA changing.

If you made wrong action . Some times drives would not recognised on MRT after that attempt. Lots of articles says don't touch to play list . Also MRT technician told më same. But I have made so much modification to Toshiba drive P list, G list entries. Deleted. Revrited. Cutted zones , shielded heads, every scenario that I can imagine I guess. Some modifications making drives unrecognized on MRT also. )) but. ..
I have fixed all drives again . I don't worry about work with Plist Glist on Toshiba drives now.

There is a big problem about Plist using PBA but , logic scan report just /only LBA . Remember, LBA changing after every modification over P list.
There is a manuel add defect option in Plist editor page. Also there is import CHS or LBA file option.But it's not calculate true value. I have experienced maybe 20-30 drives, and maybe experienced 5-10 times for each drive .
I couldn't find solution to use Logic scan report of LBA list or LBA file to add p list.
Everytime changing LBA mixing everything.

Cut head working perfect. But there is no option to demount this head. Remember . Cut head adjust P list . But , if you haven't back up p list before cut head, p list would clear firstly when cut head . It's making trouble sometime. People says don't touch p list. But when I try to cut a head it's directly deleting p list. !!!! If cut head operation has error or interrupted so there is a nightmare. Sometimes MRT wouldn't recognize again that drive But there is a only one solution. Wait till busy turn of and green lights on. It's taking so long time. Sometimes 10 min to 30 or more.just wait. And try to delete or rewrite p list backup.
My best solution 》using cut zone option, selecting only 1 entry, and apply.

I will post some more details .

Post subject: Re: Understanding Toshiba drives P list G list .PBA LBA
PostPosted: January 29th, 2019, 17:34 

For Toshiba, busy drives doesn't make problem with MRT. It's working nice . I like Toshiba drives don't make me trouble so much. And MRT fine for Toshiba. At least for me till now.
My problem only about defect list that I wrote . I found manuel solution after write that post to regeneration P list. But it's manuel method and taking so much time .
I repaired more Toshiba has busy or very very bad condition . They are working perfect now. No slow sector. No bad sector . % 100 health in hdd sentinel.
I don't have sediv. Maybe in future.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2019, 19:06 

Congratulations )).
Waiting for experience posts

PostPosted: January 30th, 2019, 4:51 

Spildit wrote:
HddDonorMarket wrote:
For Toshiba, busy drives doesn't make problem with MRT. It's working nice . I like Toshiba drives don't make me trouble so much. And MRT fine for Toshiba. At least for me till now.
My problem only about defect list that I wrote . I found manuel solution after write that post to regeneration P list. But it's manuel method and taking so much time .
I repaired more Toshiba has busy or very very bad condition . They are working perfect now. No slow sector. No bad sector . % 100 health in hdd sentinel.
I don't have sediv. Maybe in future.

I did get one MRT Ultra card today (on-line) and i will activate it tomorrow (it's late now and i do have to install windows on the MRT machine). I will have lots of fund with it on the weekend because i will be out-of-work playing with it all day !!!

The only thing that it will be "new" to me and that i'm very curiouse to try is the SSD experimental tools as apart from "cloning" or "imaging" as standard ATA devices i did never saw or play with SSD firmware. I think i will have lots of fun with this.

Nice to read this from you :)
I know you like to test tools, i will like to read your opinion on mrt (new version has been released today).
Read change log:
http://us.mrtlab.com/download/uplist.htm

They haven't updated anything for SSD in last release, many SSD are not supported yet!

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2019, 6:28 

I have tried so many metod to refurb bad Toshiba drives. ( data would loss)
Logic scan create LBA file. And I tried to add this list to G list ( Not a good choose) and P list . Add p list is true way
Step 1
There are 2 ways to do .
Open P list and import LBA file. arrange it and write to disk.
Open CHS , load P list , add LBA file , arrange , write.
Sometimes give error before write . Adjust max LBA count. If get this in log view. Firstly adjust max LBA and reopen toshiba part and step 1 . Other ways drive sometimes going busy mode. Not recognise .
If this occur , should wait till the green lights on. Bussy light off.And write working p list and again go step 1.
If cannot write p list , go shield zone , shield a block, write to disk and re open toshiba part.
Open P list and load a working p list and go step 1

But.
After my alot of trying , adding LBA list not add all bad blocks. I made add new defect LBA again and again and again. Maybe 10 or 20 scan and add attemp some hdd .
I changed settings also. Scan block size 1 to 256 and changed skip blok size 256 to 100000. Same result. I never refurb 1 try. Needs scan and add that LBA. And again scan and add, again ...again.
Anyway .I made full refurb approx 10 or more toshiba drive. Working nice now. Many many bad disks now in really good condition.
Maybe some calculation problem in MRT.
So I also get Zone list , p list and LBA files . And worked in excel sheet. Calculated new LBA blocks and added them to P list manually. Yes I did it . It is working better than automatic add in MRT. But it takes long time.

I should add extra info, kill head helpfull sometime. I kill head with cut zone section. I select head number in cut section part.

Good luck.

I am working WD now. I killed 3 or more drive. WD drives method different . I haven't find ways to do yet

PostPosted: February 25th, 2019, 18:00 

Spildit wrote:
HddDonorMarket wrote:

I did get one MRT Ultra card today (on-line) and i will activate it tomorrow (it's late now and i do have to install windows on the MRT machine). I will have lots of fund with it on the weekend because i will be out-of-work playing with it all day !!!

The only thing that it will be "new" to me and that i'm very curiouse to try is the SSD experimental tools as apart from "cloning" or "imaging" as standard ATA devices i did never saw or play with SSD firmware. I think i will have lots of fun with this.

Please your review! or opinion how it works for most common fault

rgds

PostPosted: March 10th, 2019, 18:16 

Some Toshiba drives P list max entry list:
MK255GSX : max 1022 entry
MK5059GSXP : max 4072 entry
MQ01ABD50 : more than 4100 but not tested yet

My experience that drives max p list equal to 1 head zone count.
Ex. MK255GSX has 2 head. When shield 1 head P list has 1022 entry. It's equal max value. If try to add more than 1022 MRT says it's added. But if u get P-LIST there are only 1022 entry.

Every entry can be 1 to ...... sector. whatever value you want. But small value making busy .
I scanned by 1 sector setting. And added that defect list to P list. Than drive gone busy mode.I have tried so many drives same behavior. Best value (for every entry ) should be more than 256 .

When adding if there is a adjust capacity notice in log screen. Should edit HDD ID , and re identify device and add defect p list again. In this way not stuck busy mode.

Last edited by HddDonorMarket on March 10th, 2019, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2019, 18:18 

Another experience
Modifying P list not mean loose all data. Yes something lost. But something still recoverable. Tested.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2019, 18:29 

Spildit wrote:
HddDonorMarket wrote:
Another experience
Modifying P list not mean loose all data. Yes something lost. But something still recoverable. Tested.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

For toshiba drives.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2019, 19:01 

@HddDonorMarket, could you show us the Plist and Glist, before and after your merge operation?

PostPosted: March 11th, 2019, 6:21 

If possible to recover partial data when disable 1 head so
It's same what I said. It's not a strange info. .
I am talking about toshiba. Toshiba zone list simple . It's continously.
If there is a file in any zone and it's not in p list , file recovarable. If some part or all sectors in p list not recoverable.
Yes MFT has wrong adress if change p list. So LBA adress changing. Folders gone . But partial recovery possible .

Some recovery software maybe working with MFT . That software cannot find files. But I tested with R studio analysing sector by sector. If meet any file types header then recovering that file when that files all sector healthy.

I have looked wd drives zone structure. Seems different . Still trying to understand that .

PostPosted: March 11th, 2019, 17:30 

@HddDonorMarket, I have analysed several Toshiba Glists here:

Analysis of Toshiba Grown Defect List:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=2205

I have also written a tool to parse the Glist.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2019, 6:07 

fzabkar wrote:
@HddDonorMarket, I have analysed several Toshiba Glists here:

Analysis of Toshiba Grown Defect List:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=2205

I have also written a tool to parse the Glist.

That article more that my knowledge. I am just beginner. But thanks for detailed analysis.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2019, 6:19 

If you try cut zone or cut head , MRT wouldn't backup original P list also G list. Directly clearing P list entries. And you loose original P list . I see that MRT mostly backing up original files automatically before operation. But in this operation ( cut head + cut zone ) MRT doesn't backup. MRT Should add backup P list function automatically .

PostPosted: March 12th, 2019, 17:02 

I guessed P list not a SA file . But I remember now there is a CP file info says P list. Useful info . Thanks. .
DO . Cool info.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2019, 5:20 

Yes . Thanks.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2019, 11:50 

2 experience

1) Sometimes drive goes endless busy when trying to adjust PList ,
2) Sometimes reading speed drop 10 Mb/s. Same drive normally reading speed around 100 MB/s at logic scan.

Sometimes long wait solve this problem. Sometimes press enter on any terminal window when connected Com port.

This is a new that I found. It's funny but working some times.
I removed data and power connection when busy. Pluged in a working toshiba. Lights turning on green. And removing good hdd. Again plug in busy drive. No power on of when doing this steps. Recall drive ID. Busy drives info come. Logout and re login toshiba part . MRT read busy drive Infos quickly and not in busy mode unless power of and on.
Funy but working

PostPosted: May 16th, 2019, 15:00 

According to my research about Toshiba , busy mode occure some times about plist.
Plist record making endless busy mode.
I haven't try to find data recovery solution yet. But , if data not important busy mode could solve with deleting plist.
Sometimes some module corruption making busy mode. I saw mostly same modules bad
I would solve this issue for data recovery soon I guess. Principle easy for me now. But It's manual solution.

Also for wd drives busy mode sometimes about translator. (If solve slow repond command not solve busy mode )I had solve some cases with clear and rewrite translator. It's a lil dangerous . Sometime drive doesn't write back data and hdd gone. So firstly backup all modules , ldr and rom before operation. If drive collapse. Write original rom and all modules (By ID ) back. And drive returning back initial situation (necessary at least 1 primary head in good condition )

PostPosted: August 12th, 2019, 7:28 

I have a toshiba drive . Trying to refurbished so has lots of bad sectors.
I tried firstly logic scan and add defects to plist. But lots of bad sector. And sometime increasing after add new defects.

After than , I deleted all p list and glist records and smart. Again logic scan
Very very little amount bad or slow sector now. Sometime I try to add new defects and again more bad sector.
I wonder why does drive behave like this.
I have meet same thing before. I couldn't understand what was happening before. Now recognised what is happening
I finished refurbish . Drive very good and so less defects in p list now. Maybe under 10 records.
If understand that behavior would be good for future lots of bad sector toshiba cases

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2020, 12:38 

Spildit wrote:
HddDonorMarket wrote:
According to my research about Toshiba , busy mode occure some times about plist.
Plist record making endless busy mode.
I haven't try to find data recovery solution yet. But , if data not important busy mode could solve with deleting plist.
Sometimes some module corruption making busy mode. I saw mostly same modules bad
I would solve this issue for data recovery soon I guess. Principle easy for me now. But It's manual solution.

Also for wd drives busy mode sometimes about translator. (If solve slow repond command not solve busy mode )I had solve some cases with clear and rewrite translator. It's a lil dangerous . Sometime drive doesn't write back data and hdd gone. So firstly backup all modules , ldr and rom before operation. If drive collapse. Write original rom and all modules (By ID ) back. And drive returning back initial situation (necessary at least 1 primary head in good condition )

This is --- bullsh**

I have found toshiba busy mode solution. Not for share