All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Old Maxtor recovery - I/O error
PostPosted: June 22nd, 2019, 13:39 

I still think you need to try this on another pc in ide/compatibility mode. That is because your Western Digital drive also shows a strange smart output. There might be some other unknown problem with your setup. Maybe some kind of bios incompatibility? (I'm just guessing here). I think you need to have the easy bit working before you move on to the more complicated part.

Also as you say the boot up is slow with the drive connected I would leave the computer standing for at least 20 mins to allow for the faulty drive to come ready. It might not of course. And only use sata from now on.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2019, 14:24 

Spildit wrote:
dick wrote:
I still think you need to try this on another pc in ide/compatibility mode. That is because your Western Digital drive also shows a strange smart output. There might be some other unknown problem with your setup. Maybe some kind of bios incompatibility? (I'm just guessing here). I think you need to have the easy bit working before you move on to the more complicated part.

Also as you say the boot up is slow with the drive connected I would leave the computer standing for at least 20 mins to allow for the faulty drive to come ready. It might not of course. And only use sata from now on.

... Pray that the heads and/or sliders of the damaged drive are not in contact with the platter ... I don't think that leaving the drive at least 20 mins working without knowing the condition of it would be a good idea but you guys know best so ... moving on....
Yes you are right but to dive in and run terminal commands, do you think that would be better?
What I am saying is get Victoria to work correctly first. As for leaving the drive for 20 mins before attempting any diagnosis well that sometimes has to be done. If there are any unusual sounds coming from the drive then it would have to be stop stop stop.

So I would say make sure Victoria is detecting the other drives correctly and then connect the Maxtor drive and attempt to read the smart attributes.

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2019, 3:06 

Quote:
Pray that the heads and/or sliders of the damaged drive are not in contact with the platter

Can you normally tell if the heads are in contact with the platter? Do they make any particular noise?
By the noise it does the drive seems to work regularly. No clicks at all and you can hear what I assume are the heads moving on startup (maybe positioning themselves on the platter?).

The motherboard is a gigabite b150m-d3h. I cannot find any mention of ide/compatibility on this particular motherboard online. This is the only section about SATA configuration I found

Attachment:
20190622_212607.jpg
20190622_212607.jpg [ 1.46 MiB | Viewed 20671 times ]

Quote:
That is because your Western Digital drive also shows a strange smart output.

Could you explain what do you mean by strange?

Would a terminal log extraction cause any damage?

PostPosted: June 24th, 2019, 4:36 

Take a look at how this WD drive smart is displayed in Victoria and compare it with yours.
Maybe try on a different computer?
Attachment:
wd victoria.jpg
wd victoria.jpg [ 201.8 KiB | Viewed 20620 times ]

PostPosted: June 24th, 2019, 11:53 

The previous analysis was referred to the faulty drive. Note all unknown parameters. I do not know why Victoria was labeling it as WD

This is the SMART analysis of the WD without the faulty Maxtor connected.

Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 60.86 KiB | Viewed 20591 times ]

And if the listing order of those parameters is always the same I'm sure you guys can have a preliminary idea of how bad is the situation (I guess it is bad enough)

PostPosted: June 24th, 2019, 12:54 

Yes you setup seems to be working perfectly.

So now you have to prepare and run terminal.

Take note your drive to diagnose is a 7200.11 and your test drive is a 7200.10 so they are different architecture. That will make practice and learning more difficult.

I would run terminal on the 7200.10 'test' drive to make sure your adapter is working. Then after you can move on to your 'broken' 7200.11 drive. Be very careful with the commands you send!

PostPosted: June 24th, 2019, 17:29 

Quote:
...to make sure your adapter is working.

I did short TX and RX pins on my TTL adapter and tested it on Putty. Is gives back my inputs so it seems to work. Is it okay to use Putty for what come next or should I use another terminal like Hiperterminal? Will the log be shown automatically once i give power to the drive or do I have to give a particular command for it?

PostPosted: June 24th, 2019, 20:42 

FWIW, some motherboards disable a SATA port if an M.2 (NVMe or mSATA) drive is installed. It might pay to consult the manual.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2019, 3:26 

fzabkar wrote:
FWIW, some motherboards disable a SATA port if an M.2 (NVMe or mSATA) drive is installed. It might pay to consult the manual.

I checked the manual. It seems not to be the case for my motherboard

PostPosted: June 27th, 2019, 5:47 

Do I have any advantage in terms of processing time if I keep the amount of space in use on my test drive at minimum or what matters is the total disk's space?

PostPosted: July 29th, 2019, 15:38 

oneRd wrote:
Do I have any advantage in terms of processing time if I keep the amount of space in use on my test drive at minimum or what matters is the total disk's space?

The question was intended in case of logical recovery software use. I answer this question myself: no. Software don’t make distinction between meaningful information and empty space. They will process the whole disk space or partition.

Hello everyone!! After a several days of duly “sector by sector” search I have finally understood now what a terminal log is :druunk: looking back at my last posts I feel a bit like Neo being uploaded with entire “domains” of new knowledge in a very short time-span. I must say I have really enjoyed the binge-reading and come to appreciate even more your hard work in this field.

According to my last checkups: the drive appears in the BIOS, it does not appear in Windows 10, it shows up in Lubuntu as unknown or unmountable and it does appears on terminal if I type lsblk

Attachment:
rte.png
rte.png [ 81.39 KiB | Viewed 18584 times ]

My plan: first doing a very quick sortie with the TTL adapter (since a bought it) and see what do I get back in the terminal and post it here. Wait for your advice. Assuming there is still hope I will try next to image the drive using ddrescue or HDDSuperClone.

Quote:
.... power the drive on with the terminal connected and POST the LOG that the drive output to TTL/terminal software at power up ... Goes without saying open the terminal first and power the drive later.

Spildit has been clear on how to connect the drive through TTL, but how and when do I turn the drive off? It is safe to just power off the drive once It has delivered all information on terminal?

That said:

I've been reading multiple times all major guides around about ddrescue and the HDDSuperClone manual. I would like to understand if my drive’s condition needs a particular setup for HDDSuperClone (maybe the author could help with this) that is not available on the free version nor on ddrescue. I have read ddrescue standard setup for recovery can be further improved with some tweaks like direct access the drive with the --idirect call and the skipping function.

It could help to know how data are arranged; the drive is half full. Also fragmentation should be reasonably low as I did defragmentation not so long previous the failure with very little changes (using mostly to browse internet and working on a few docs and pics). Is that safe to assume data are all stored together?

I've read I could use ddrutility and partclone to extract the MFT from NTFS partitions and save time but I would rather avoid it if the drive conditions turned out to be stable - I do not know how serious it is not being able to get the SMART parameter in Victoria. I've always treated my HDDs as if they contained nitroglycerine therefore I know mine has never suffered any trauma of sort. I do not know if that is enough to guarantee a not damaged platter(s) or head(s).

It is a lot of questions but at least now you know we can have a more constructive conversation.

Thanks for you time

PostPosted: July 29th, 2019, 17:29 

Quote:
According to my last checkups: the drive appears in the BIOS, it does not appear in Windows 10, it shows up in Lubuntu as unknown or unmountable and it does appears on terminal if I type lsblk

From your indication of the drive being sdb in the screenshot, the drive is listing partitions. That means it powered on and identified, and also successfully read sector 0. It could still have a firmware issue and/or a bad head. Try cloning/imaging with HDDSuperClone for about 5 minutes or so, stop it and attach the log here. I can tell many things from a log, usually even from a short run.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2019, 18:15 

And while you are at it, try to get SMART using HDDSuperTool (preferred as it shows real raw values), or any other way you can find to get SMART in Linux, such as smartmontools.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2019, 10:49 

maximus wrote:
Quote:
Try cloning/imaging with HDDSuperClone for about 5 minutes or so, stop it and attach the log here.

Thank you for answering. I was planning to do that after trying to hook it up via TTL. But since you say HDDSuperClone can work with it I'll do this first. Is it okay if I do it with HDDSuperClone free version? Does the free version expire after a set time?

PostPosted: July 30th, 2019, 16:50 

Quote:
Is it okay if I do it with HDDSuperClone free version?
Yes, use the free version, there are no limitations for use. Don't worry about the paid version unless I tell you it could actually help in your case.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2019, 11:54 

maximus wrote:
Yes, use the free version

I am having some setbacks with the installation. I chose to use a lubuntu 19.04 persistent live usb and to install HddSuperClone on it (this could already be a bad choice).

I am following your guide.Your .deb installer seems not to work - it returns: the package system could not be initialized, your configuration may be broken.

I then tried with .tar.gz. I used

Code:
sudo gunzip /home/hddsuperclone.2.1.13.x64.tar.gz

The .gz extention disappears. I am left with hddsuperclone.2.1.13.x64.tar. Then you write to change directory (cd hddsuperclone-x.x-x.x.-xxx) but if I write

Code:
cd hddsuperclone.2.1.13.x64

the response is "No such file or directory". Perhaps it is implied I have to create it..

I'm new to Linux...

PostPosted: August 9th, 2019, 14:10 

I am not sure about the DEB installer, but for the .tar.gz you are missing this command after gunzip:
Code:
tar xf hddsuperclone-x.x-x.x.-xxx-free.tar

PostPosted: August 11th, 2019, 4:42 

I somehow managed to install it, but on launching I got

Code:
lubuntu@lubuntu:~/hddsuperclone.2.1.13.x64$ sudo ./hddsuperclone
./hddsuperclone: error while loading shared libraries: libusb-0.1.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Then I tried

Code:
lubuntu@lubuntu:~/hddsuperclone.2.1.13.x64$ sudo hddsuperclone-install-depends-deb.sh
sudo: hddsuperclone-install-depends-deb.sh: command not found
lubuntu@lubuntu:~/hddsuperclone.2.1.13.x64$

Anything else I can try?

PostPosted: August 11th, 2019, 6:32 

try lubuntu@lubuntu:~/hddsuperclone.2.1.13.x64$ sudo ./hddsuperclone-install-depends-deb.sh

the ./ means "the current directory". *nix doesn't (or doesn't always, I don't know) just automatically add the current folder to the path to look for things.

Funny story - my first year of University I walked to the other side of the campus because I couldn't run the program I compiled from C code.. a.out as I recall.. just for lecturer to show me to use ./a.out.. I must have recompiled 10 times!

or making the .sh file executable:

from the dir the .sh file is in, do this:

Code:
chmod +x hddsuperclone-install-depends-deb.sh

PostPosted: August 11th, 2019, 10:19 

Quote:
lubuntu@lubuntu:~/hddsuperclone.2.1.13.x64$ sudo ./hddsuperclone
./hddsuperclone: error while loading shared libraries: libusb-0.1.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Try manually installing libusb:
Code:
sudo apt-get install libusb-0.1 -y

Quote:
try lubuntu@lubuntu:~/hddsuperclone.2.1.13.x64$ sudo ./hddsuperclone-install-depends-deb.sh

the ./ means "the current directory". *nix doesn't (or doesn't always, I don't know) just automatically add the current folder to the path to look for things.

Whoops, may need to update that in my documentation :shock:
Edit: Just realized my documentation is correct. It says to run that after a successful install, meaning the .sh file is located in an executable directory, not the current directory. In any case the manual libusb install should fix the issue.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next