All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Synology Support - Not Sure To Laugh or Cry
PostPosted: August 1st, 2019, 14:13 

Just has a RAID 5 in after a client had asked for support from Synology. Here is an abridged version of the conversations.

Quote:
2019-06-07 18:46:56
A week ago the original folders of the Synology folders would show up but it would say there is no content in any of the folders. Some of them should have terabytes of organized data.
I restarted the Synology few times and finally it showed up again. But now it has happened again and I can't get it to work again. I have not accessed the sinology via quick connect and tried doing that to see if there is any way updates are needed and I am having a hard time with that also.
We get the following error:

Synology suggested using different web browsers to access the device but the error presented

Not too much damage done yet...

Quote:
2019-06-12 08:15:24
I tried that and it did not work. I talked to two different staff and per their recommendation attempted a hard reset. However when we attempted to reset it, it did not beep even though I help the paperclip in place for around 15 seconds. (I did feel the reset button click, but there was no beep)

2019-06-12 12:47:09
Please attempt to install the DSM on a spare blank drive. Once the DSM is running on this spare drive you can add back 3/4 of the original drives and attempt to recover.
Please follow these instructions. This procedure will wipe your current DSM install and packages but will retain your data:
1. Shut down the system.
2. Remove all the hard drives & SSDs from the system.
3. Find a spare hard drive or SSD that is the same size of your current drives that you do not mind completely erasing the data and insert it into the system drive bay 1.
4. Use Synology Assistant (available in the Download Center on http://download.synology.com/) to install the DSM onto this spare drive. DO NOT CREATE VOLUME AFTER INSTALLATION. If a volume was created during installation please remove it before proceeding to the next step.
5. When the DSM is fully running on the spare drive and you are able to log in and connect through the web interface, shutdown the NAS.
6. Physically install all of the original drives back into the NAS except for the drive bay where the spare drive is located. Make sure to leave the spare drive in drive bay 1 as this holds the DSM installation.
7. Boot up the NAS and verify that you can see your data, including iSCSI LUNs if you had any. The volume status at this point will be "Degraded".
8. Repair the volume under Storage Manager > Volume/Disk Group > Repair and select Disk 1. It will need to erase this drive in order to add it back to the RAID.
Let us know if there are any issues after performing these steps so that we can provide further instructions.

So without knowing anything about the failure, they suggest to a non-tech to remove all drives from the NAS without asking for the drives to be named or marked as to which slots they should be in. If he happened to miss the line about 'remove all drives' while following the instruction he is rebuilding DSM on all drives. They then say he can add back '3/4' of the drives. What.. any 3 of 4 in any order...

Quote:
019-06-21 23:58:06
I did this and now disk 3 says it is failing, and I am not given an option to "repair" set up disk 1 (which is the new one).
I have not touched the disk that I removed yet. (ie the old one that was in disk 1's spot).
Also I cannot access the files from the desktop attached to the local network to copy them somewhere else. I can only access them from the online portal, which will only allow me to download them and not copy/paste them into an external hard drive to back up...

2019-06-24 10:06:33
xxxxxxx is out of the office today and I will be helping out. Is the new drive in bay 1 the same size or larger as the other drives? If not then you will not be able to repair the storage pool. You should still be able to map the shared folders via SMB to create the backup of your data.

The client has now told Synology that the array cannot be repaired because drive 3 is failing. Still he ignores it.

Quote:
2019-06-26 11:56:24
The new drive is the same size as the previous one.

I am able to access the data and copy some if it, but I am getting errors for some of the folders and files. I wonder if this is from the failed 3rd drive. (The system says only the 3rd drive isn't working at this point). It is taking a long time to copy all of the files. Do you have a way that I can try that works faster then simply copy and paste?

I was not able to "repair" the first drive (is the new one I put in slot 1) as it did not give this as an option to me.
How can the trouble rebooting be explained by drive 3 failing? Does this mean both drive 3 and the original drive 1 failed simultaneously?

Even the non-tech client now knows something is wrong and is diagnosing it for Synology.
At last they ask for a diagnostics log...

Quote:
2019-07-02 15:28:55
The file you provided was the log file I needed to review. Thank you.
The following information was in the system log
Model Family: Seagate IronWolf
Device Model: ST8000VN0022-2EL112
Serial Number: xxxxxxx

accumulating bad sectors - recommend replacement
Drive failure - replacement needed
Serial Number: xxxxxxxx

You mentioned a few things in the previous email that stood out to me.
I was not able to "repair" the first drive (is the new one I put in slot 1) as it did not give this as an option to me. - This should be the only drive installed in the unit. None of your other drives with data should be used at this time. How can the trouble rebooting be explained by drive 3 failing? Does this mean both drive 3 and the original drive 1 failed simultaneously? It is possible to have more than 1 drive fail at a time. To best avoid this happening to you, we recommend buying hard drives from different batches, or different supported manufacturer devices. If your storage pool, and RAID configuration span all the drives you have installed in the DS918+, then a failed drive can cause problems accessing the data stored on your NAS.

Great information for the future, however he needs to focus on the job at hand....

Quote:
At this point, we still need to try to see if a blank hard drive will allow you to "re-install" DSM software. This installation would be on the blank hard drive, and not on the DS918+ unit.
See the instructions below to review this process
2. Remove all the hard drives & SSDs from the system.
3. Find a spare hard drive or SSD that is the same size of your current drives that you do not mind completely erasing the data and insert it into the system drive bay 1.
4. Use Synology Assistant (available in the Download Center on http://download.synology.com/) to install the DSM onto this spare drive. DO NOT CREATE VOLUME AFTER INSTALLATION. If a volume was created during installation please remove it before proceeding to the next step.
5. When the DSM is fully running on the spare drive and you are able to log in and connect through the web interface, shutdown the NAS.
6. Physically install all of the original drives back into the NAS except for the drive bay where the spare drive is located. Make sure to leave the spare drive in drive bay 1 as this holds the DSM installation.
7. Boot up the NAS and verify that you can see your data, including iSCSI LUNs if you had any. The volume status at this point will be "Degraded".
8. Repair the volume under Storage Manager > Volume/Disk Group > Repair and select Disk 1. It will need to erase this drive in order to add it back to the RAID.
Let us know if there are any issues after performing these steps so that we can provide further instructions.

So they now know that D3 has failed. Yet they still recommend rebuilding the DSM on a new drive, and once successful to put 3/4 drives back in the array. Any 3 drives? Oh they weren't marked anyway so not a problem..... So now there is a blank drive in slot 1 and a failed drive in slot 3.

Quote:
2019-07-03 11:32:40
It's my understanding you called our support team, and spoke with xxxxxxx.
He informed me you are not able to copy any of your data from the drives at this time.
He also mentioned replacing the 3rd drive in your unit, which is the least functional of your drives.
xxxxxxx notes indicated you were to pull the drive from bay 3, and use the drive that was originally the drive you removed from bay 1, and were not using at that time.

Now this is where it gets really scary. He has a blank drive in bay 1, a failed drive in bay 3 and they suggest replacing the failed drive in bay 3 with the original drive from bay 1 as he was 'not using it at the time'.

Post subject: Re: Synology Support - Not Sure To Laugh or Cry
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2019, 21:19 

Unfortunately, I think that NAS-car has run its last successful race -- without a complete re-build from scratch. I can feel for that person! On a much smaller scale, long ago, have been - done that.

Post subject: Re: Synology Support - Not Sure To Laugh or Cry
PostPosted: August 4th, 2019, 6:18 

I hear more or less the same story from a lot of NAS cases, not Synology exclusive, unfortunately :(