All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seagate st2000DM001 FW CC27 Date 13461 Rev 100717520 rev b
PostPosted: August 11th, 2019, 15:00 

Seagate st2000DM001 FW CC27 Date 13461 Rev 100717520 rev b 7519c

Over the last while the drive would intermittently not show up on boot as a second disk. It was also missing from the bios.

I would open the case and switch sata ports and reboot and it always worked. I thought it was the motherboard.

Last week I had more trouble getting it to boot and when it did I ran a chkdsk with fix and repair and everything was fine.

I went away for the weekend and came back and now the drive is missing and I cant get the PC to find it in the bios no matter what.
I have done a lot of reading and could use some advice/direction.

The drive spins up but is just not found. This drive has the last 18 years of my kids lives in pictures and videos.

Thank you for your time.

Cam

Post subject: Re: Seagate st2000DM001 FW CC27 Date 13461 Rev 100717520 re
PostPosted: August 12th, 2019, 15:39 

Cam1 wrote:
Wow. 73 Views and not one response.

You did post this on a Sunday when most people probably look at emails and check things out, but have other things to do with family etc.

If CHKDSK worked initially and the drive then failed again shortly afterwards, then you probably have a lot of bad sectors on the drive, these bad sectors are increasing hence the drive totally failing the second time. IMHO I am afraid you do need professional data recovery help.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2019, 16:00 

There are several diagnostic tools available on Seagate's site. Have you tried any of those? Based on the symptoms you report, it sounds like your drive may not yet require the expertise of a professional. Obviously, if you're able to revive the drive to where it's accessible, you should be prepared to copy off your important data ASAP. You may not get many opportunities to do so at this point as it sounds like the drive is on its last legs (if not already gone). Good luck!

PostPosted: August 12th, 2019, 16:25 

ddrecovery wrote:
Cam1 wrote:
Wow. 73 Views and not one response.

You did post this on a Sunday when most people probably look at emails and check things out, but have other things to do with family etc.

If CHKDSK worked initially and the drive then failed again shortly afterwards, then you probably have a lot of bad sectors on the drive, these bad sectors are increasing hence the drive totally failing the second time. IMHO I am afraid you do need professional data recovery help.

Thank you so much for your response! It is very appreciated!!!!!

I would like to try to get it via serial but am a total newb... Anyways I do appreciate you taking the time to respond and will look into that!!!

Cheers.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2019, 16:53 

johnnyBrandom wrote:
Based on the symptoms you report, it sounds like your drive may not yet require the expertise of a professional.

How long have you been diagnosing failed hard drives?

PostPosted: August 12th, 2019, 17:02 

If the 18 years of photos and videos are worth anything to you, then please don’t “DIY it to death”. We see the sorry results of this nearly every day :-(

A wrong terminal command or incorrect “firmware fix” can render your data irrecoverable, or at least many times more expensive.

May sound like scaremongering, but I’m afraid it’s almost certainly the case. It shouldn’t cost too much at THIS STAGE but tinkering with it could end in disaster, and permanent data loss.

New!! HDD-PCB.COM for all your PCB and donor HDD requirements!

PostPosted: August 12th, 2019, 21:55 

Well,
This is a Very Bad Drive To Work With ,Just Swapped a Head on these last week and no joy

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com

PostPosted: August 13th, 2019, 0:36 

johnnyBrandom wrote:
Based on the symptoms you report, it sounds like your drive may not yet require the expertise of a professional

This is totally bad advice.
100% agree with ddrecovery,pcimage and amarbir comments.

If you have 18y memory ,i think it would be worth for you.

Best thing contact the DR professional near by you. Not a computer repair shop.

check larrysabbo on this forum, who is in canada.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2019, 3:35 

Dananjaya wrote:
johnnyBrandom wrote:
Based on the symptoms you report, it sounds like your drive may not yet require the expertise of a professional

This is totally bad advice.
100% agree with ddrecovery,pcimage and amarbir comments.

If you have 18y memory ,i think it would be worth for you.

Best thing contact the DR professional near by you. Not a computer repair shop.

check larrysabbo on this forum, who is in canada.

Or lcoughey

PostPosted: August 14th, 2019, 1:29 

If the drive is teetering between working and failing, there may still be an opportunity to help it mount again with some relatively simple and "possibly" non-destructive steps. I say "possibly" because there are warnings against these techniques as well so you will have to be the judge of whether or not you want to attempt this with your drive ...

I have read of some successes (but have no first hand knowledge) that describe placing drives in a fridge/freezer to lower the temperature which can slightly change the mechanical/EM behavior enough to get the drive to work temporarily. You should be careful with cold to avoid condensation drops on any electronics. Heat has also been tried but you should be careful not to raise the temperature too much as heat can have negative effects on data (and electronics). I recommend you research these options first to learn if any such scenarios match your circumstance and also what temperature ranges are likely to help. Of course, you should be prepared to immediately copy data from the drive onto a backup in advance of any attempt as you may not have long to work using these methods which usually produce only temporary success if at all. Good luck!

PostPosted: August 14th, 2019, 6:50 

I'd be happy to look and ignore any advice from anyone who ever mentions a freezer as a possible solution.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2019, 7:18 

johnnyBrandom wrote:
placing drives in a fridge/freezer to lower the temperature which can slightly change the mechanical/EM behavior enough to get the drive to work temporarily.

Is there any special fridge/freezer brand do you know with this mirracle power of bad sector repair.

Pls.let us know. It would be a great time saver for all DR persons.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2019, 10:04 

johnnyBrandom wrote:
If the drive is teetering between working and failing, there may still be an opportunity to help it mount again with some relatively simple and "possibly" non-destructive steps. I say "possibly" because there are warnings against these techniques as well so you will have to be the judge of whether or not you want to attempt this with your drive ...

I have read of some successes (but have no first hand knowledge) that describe placing drives in a fridge/freezer to lower the temperature which can slightly change the mechanical/EM behavior enough to get the drive to work temporarily. You should be careful with cold to avoid condensation drops on any electronics. Heat has also been tried but you should be careful not to raise the temperature too much as heat can have negative effects on data (and electronics). I recommend you research these options first to learn if any such scenarios match your circumstance and also what temperature ranges are likely to help. Of course, you should be prepared to immediately copy data from the drive onto a backup in advance of any attempt as you may not have long to work using these methods which usually produce only temporary success if at all. Good luck!

OP. Please totally ignore this advice. This poster is not involved in data recovery and the steps he suggests will kill your drive. DO NOT FOLLOW THEM.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2019, 10:35 

ddrecovery wrote:
johnnyBrandom wrote:

OP. Please totally ignore this advice. This poster is not involved in data recovery and the steps he suggests will kill your drive. DO NOT FOLLOW THEM.

Absolutely, ignore this terrible "advice".

PostPosted: August 14th, 2019, 10:41 

@JhonyBrandom

How is your hard drive.

https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php ... 22#p273622

Is it still in the fridge ?

PostPosted: August 16th, 2019, 18:49 

Dananjaya wrote:
Is there any special fridge/freezer brand do you know with this mirracle power of bad sector repair.

You're in luck @Dananjaya! See @senordingdong about his magical fan https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38765

Maybe he'll sell it to you for a good price? :wink:

PostPosted: August 17th, 2019, 0:13 

johnnyBrandom wrote:
...I have read of some successes (but have no first hand knowledge) that describe placing drives in a fridge/freezer to lower the temperature which can slightly change the mechanical/EM behavior enough to get the drive to work temporarily...
Johnny says this was not a suggestion, just in case anyone else makes the mistake like I did of seeing it as a suggestion- please don't put your hard drive in a freezer.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2019, 7:51 

johnnyBrandom wrote:
Dananjaya wrote:

You're in luck @Dananjaya! See @senordingdong about his magical fan https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38765

Maybe he'll sell it to you for a good price? :wink:

I have no words. Only haaaaahaaa.
LOL. hahaaaahaaaaaa. Haaahaaaaaaa.

Thanks jhony gave me a lot of fun.

At least you can't understand what happend this hard drive. This hard drive has bad sectors or weak heads with magnet dust. Can you explain that how it slove after putting the freezer. otherhand i dont like to explain the damages due to putting freezer.

After explaining of david blizzard, i think now you know the purpuse of fan. Basically normal computers have cooling fans for hard drives.

However i am very happy since now you have two DATA RECOVERY TOOLS
One is freezer , second one is Fan.
We will see next time which tool you have.

Lol.

JhonyBrandom.one more question.
How is that your HARD DRIVE (600usd).

Is it still in freezer. ?
Now you can try with your second tool.

JhonyBrandom. Just a joke. Dont get angry. We are friends.