All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Western Digital - Media Cache
PostPosted: August 30th, 2019, 0:23 

pepe wrote:
Yes, of course the buggy one, but as long as DR is concerned either solution is acceptable provided it does not affect data access in a negative way. Sometimes there are multiple ways of achieving the same goal, one is more elegant than others but who cares as long as the DATA IS OK?
Well, this case is somewhat different, since, as i understood, the data is shifted after the repair, so it is NOT ok at all.
pepe

Pepe Sir ,
If This is Not OK ,Whats the issue ,Do you have any suggestions so that i could see the same ,Although i am going to upload entire firmware of different steps i did so that i could understand it .Interestingly raw recovery is fine from start of hdd to its end

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com

PostPosted: August 30th, 2019, 0:28 

HaspHL wrote:
I found some more that has nothing inside it but 0x04 @ 0x31
interesting though the drives who do have mod 148 and do have data inside
there is scattered a copy of it in mod 2E

Well,
According to my knowledge and what have read ,if P list of a WDC drive is ok ,We can regenerate translator and it should function fine ,If g list is also there and p list and glist is readable then even better , So this is a case thats buldozed me ,Might be lots of people will now understand about mod 148 ,Were are those clasified documents that we do not have

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2019, 10:49 

Well Hi ,
I am attaching the original condition firmware , rom and rom modules ,I reverted the Drive back to the same ,Very interesting stuff going on here ,I will be making a video of it soon ,If anyone like to help let me know ,Customer has cancelled the DR for this and has given me the drive for my research ,With everything original i see the drive having a slow respond issue and translator issue no sector access .

Google drive link - > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Voyqrev9KBkf5ZfhW1h-SGTik2fgOf5b

PS : No point in trying Franks suggestion "One could test this hypothesis by writing a predefined signature to each LBA of a working drive (eg signature = "LBA x"). Clearing module 148h would then merge the cached regions into the visible user area. We would now scan the LBAs until we find a discontinuity, eg <LBA 10000> <cached data> <LBA10001>. " , Reason is that how can we do this on the patient drive and render the case useless ,Although customer denied recovery i would still like to solve this case ,Lots of learning experience .

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2019, 13:54 

Why would anybody want to help you if you ignoring a good advices? You received more info than you need, just convert it into resolved case . 1) Isn't, very simple, than to ask a solutions just to use donor drive and make own research: save whole SA, make same procedure “so called media cash removal feature” save SA again and compare to understand WHAT that button actually do along with modding 148 2)Isn’t simple to put pattern to a donor drive with sector counter and research HOW 148 (alignment zone table module ) actually works ? 3) Isn’t simple to ask your client where he was before he came to you with this drive, and if, there is a chance , somebody put not original 148 from same Diablo 3Tb drive ?

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2019, 12:20 

DR-Kiev wrote:
Why would anybody want to help you if you ignoring a good advices? You received more info than you need, just convert it into resolved case . 1) Isn't, very simple, than to ask a solutions just to use donor drive and make own research: save whole SA, make same procedure “so called media cash removal feature” save SA again and compare to understand WHAT that button actually do along with modding 148 2)Isn’t simple to put pattern to a donor drive with sector counter and research HOW 148 (alignment zone table module ) actually works ? 3) Isn’t simple to ask your client where he was before he came to you with this drive, and if, there is a chance , somebody put not original 148 from same Diablo 3Tb drive ?

Well ,
As You Are Pretty Angry With Me :mrgreen: ,You are saying this ,But if my expert senior can calm down and listen i would be more then happy .

1 : I did not ignore anyone advice ,If i was able to solve this myself i would not have asked for advice .

2 : I do understand that you want me to try out the same very procedure on donor so that i can understand what acelab modded that i got access ,According to me its only mod 148 as you stated .I had the entire rom + module backup before i started any of the procedures ,So not i have flased that back and drive is at the same stage it came to me ,with slow responding issue and no user sector access ,I checked the relo list and saw that the relo list was reallocating sector 0 again and again to different spare sectors ,But is we apply the slow response script it just clears the relo list so this is out voted out , the p list looked fine ,but there was not even a single entry in g list " i wonder why " ,So the translator issue i am unable to find out and resolve .The situation is solved asap the mod 148 is modded by acelab utility ,but then i have the problems i stated before .So Might be someone worked on this but i doubt it

3 : Till today i had no knowledge of mod 148 ,only you and doomer sir told me that so i find it unlikely someone in india could do a mod 148 swap from donor resource

PS : I never ignore your ,pepe sir and doomers advice as simple as that

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2019, 13:23 

Sorry, i have no patience to read the whole thread again for info so i will ask something that's been already told probably.
What is the exact behaviour of the drive with its original 148? hangs on LBA request or aborts it?
if aborts, what's the extended error code?

pepe

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2019, 14:11 

pepe wrote:
Sorry, i have no patience to read the whole thread again for info so i will ask something that's been already told probably.
What is the exact behaviour of the drive with its original 148? hangs on LBA request or aborts it?
if aborts, what's the extended error code?

pepe

Respected Sir ,
I will hookup this tomorrow at office and revert back ,It does not hang it aborts sector read .I do not know if i can figure out extended error code but i will see behavior and update here

PostPosted: September 11th, 2019, 17:10 

have you ever managed to hook it up with orig 148 and check behaviour?

PostPosted: December 1st, 2020, 7:30 

pepe wrote:
have you ever managed to hook it up with orig 148 and check behaviour?

Hello Pepe Sir ,
Nope i did not get time ,But i have another case here same faily -> https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40652 in that case Mod 148 is all empty

Frank : i tried to write in proper case for you in this post