All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wd disable head in rom with edit heads adaptive
PostPosted: November 21st, 2019, 19:48 

Hi guys

That's what I read "When wd drive is working with two heads, it has two adaptive. If you will disable any head from ROM and not change it’s adaptive, and reset power then in return some time hard disk start clicking"
I tried a lot of wd drives by just disable heads in rom,and drive start to click after power on,so I have three questions here:
1.Is changing also the adaptive in addition to disable in rom really solves the clicking problem ?
2.Is it possible to recover data from the remaining heads ?
3.How can I find heads adaptive in rom so I can change manually,MRT don't have that option
like PC3000 and DFL.

Post subject: Re: wd disable head in rom with edit heads adaptive
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2019, 2:54 

Best option to "solve the clicking problem" if to figure out what´s wrong.
Open the drive in your clean room, take out heads and inspect them under your microscope.

To disable a head without knowing its state, could easily damage media, so fix the problem first and change heads.
If data is not worth a set of heads and client wants to go for a partial recovery, then cut or bend the bad head if necessary.
Change headmap in RAM to get the drive running and image the good heads by headmap.

Post subject: Re: wd disable head in rom with edit heads adaptive
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2019, 12:47 

Sorry I missed a word, when I said
"I tried a lot of wd drives by just disable heads in rom,and drive start to click after power on"
I meant good drives, so the question I ask experts for a long time and never get a direct answer, if we can disable wd heads in rom like we do in seagate or hitachi then after power on drive will id no problem (unlike wd that will click even with good drives and of course after cuting or bending heads ).
This is for situations with damaged platter for example that you can't change headmap in RAM because the drive can't start normally.