All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bios chiptransfer without soldering
PostPosted: January 30th, 2020, 14:58 

Hello,

I saw a few weeks ago a video from "HDD recovery services" and he used a pogp pin adapter to read the contents of the patient and programm it into the donor. That sounded like a great idea and I got myself a CH341A programmer (https://www.amazon.de/KeeYees-SOIC8-EEP ... KT2NDFQZCA) and the pogo pin adapter.

Actually I am playing arround with some of my stock donor drives and i see that I am not able to read a lot of the chips. Till now I found out that in the Programmer-software are only a quite limited set of chips. After some research I found another programmer which support some of the chips which the cheap one don't support. This one: https://www.reveltronics.com/en/product ... rammer-usb

I am just curious if someone of you also do that this way and which programmer do you use / recommand for this? Is the Revelprog IS good or would be another programmer better? Is there a way (other Software, Update, ...) to increase the amount of supported chips?

Post subject: Re: Bios chiptransfer without soldering
PostPosted: January 30th, 2020, 17:55 

+1 for Revelprog, have not soldered a ROM for a long time.
Together with these https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32959689 ... 7ca8BfrmEq
I made a small jig for aligning, now it works the first time - every time.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2020, 9:35 

After quite some time trying various versions of the software and alternative software (even some sketchier ones which remind me why I have an old laptop as testsystem staying arround) i can tell that the support of chips depends on the software. I got all chips working with different programs. So even the cheap programmer will do...

The Revelprog is sure the better choice but for now I can use the CH341a as well.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2020, 15:58 

AIUI, the CH341A supports 3.3V chips. If you try to use it in-circuit with 2.5V or 1.8V chips, then you risk damaging the chip or the other ICs on the PCB. Also, IIRC, the /Hold pin is wired directly to Vcc, so the MCU may not like this.

At the very least, reading a 1.8V chip with a 3.3V programmer may result in bad dumps (I've seen this several times, even with pro tools).

PostPosted: February 4th, 2020, 12:35 

I where curious how to make your own Pogo Pin adapter and fund the following recipe:

The OpenSCAD model for milling or 3D-printing:
Code:
$fn = 128;

module Plate(){
    difference(){
        square([7, 8.2]);
        for(i = [1.5 : 5.1 : 6.6]){
            for(j = [1.6 : 1.27 : 6]){
                translate([j, i]) circle(d=1);
            }
        }
    }
}

//linear_extrude(5) // Comment this line out for flat milling sketch
Plate();

After that I got some P75-B1 pins with 1.02 x 16.3mm I grabed a flat-cable like this one (https://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-2-54mm-Pi ... 2240437307) which I found in my box of various cables.

I cut the cable, separatied the wires, stripped the ends and soldered them streight to the pins. After that I isolated each one with just one wrap of electrical tape. First i tryed shrink-wrap but that was to thick... Then I inserted them into the small plate which I milled out of 5mm thick PVC and secured the pins and cables with the hot glue gun...

PS.: I got today my Revelprog IS and it work great! Thanks for your helpful tipps again - especially to you fzabkar!

PostPosted: February 5th, 2020, 5:42 

Hello,

as for me, i built a programmer from an FTDI spi adapter, with a programmable voltage regulator and wrote some soft to work with it.
I fed up with having problems with commercial programmers, where i got perfectly no info about where a process failed, cannot add new devices, and so on. Now this is something i can reliably use, the parts costed around 30 eurs, the time of building the app was the highest investment, but it is really worth it.

pepe

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2020, 18:19 

I can't comment on anything else in this except:

Don't even BOTHER trying with that piece of shit test clip ...

Always use Pomona SOIC clips... as annoying as they are -- they're still much better than knock offs.