All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WD6400AAKS not spinning up!
PostPosted: February 7th, 2020, 2:11 

I have a Western Digital WD6400AAKS not spinning up. Checked the TVS diodes, cleaned the contacts between the logic board and drive. There is no BIOS chip on this one, so the firmware must be in the Marvell chip. I did swap the board with a similar board (knowing that it wouldn't fully work), and the motor spins up but of course won't read without the proper firmware.

Question, I think the best option is to try to swap out the logic board and have the firmware transfered. I contacted HDD-Parts.com (Datapro). I sent them photos of the drive and Logic Board looking for a replacement logic board and firmware transfer - received a response that would attempt to repair the original logic board for $35diag + $35repair - total $70 plus shipping. They'll send me the repaired board, if it doesn't work they'll refund me $25. I suspect the Smooth chip is bad (although I can't be certain). Kind of a tough chip to replace - seems simpler to get a replacement board and transfer the firmware.

Any advice?

Post subject: Re: WD6400AAKS not spinning up!
PostPosted: February 7th, 2020, 10:57 

I sent another message to HDD-Parts.com stating I have some knowledge on this and would rather swap the board and transfer the firmware instead of repairing the board.

Here is the response from Hdd-parts: "We must repair the board first, then extract the firmware information from the marvell chip"

These seem like confusing responses from HDD-Parts.com. I thought they could extract the firmware and transfer to another board without repairing the original board (won't spin up problem). It also sounds like I would be paying for both services (repair board, and swap board too?) - I'll have to ask for clarification.

But am I misunderstanding the process? Is it normally necessary to repair the original logic board for a no spin up problem to extract the firmware? Looking forward to the opinion of the experts here.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2020, 16:42 

The SMOOTH chip generates the onboard voltages. If these are absent, then the SMOOTH IC would be a likely culprit.

If you upload a photo of your PCB, I can show you what to test.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2020, 18:52 

Thanks Fzbkar. I suspected it was the smooth chip, but I don't know where to test the voltages (very limited knowledge on HDD recovery/repair). Although I would check it if I was told what test points to use.

I replied back to DataPro (hdd-parts.com) asking if we could just replace the board and transfer the firmware instead of repairing the original board.

Their response has me confused "We must repair the board first, then extract the firmware information from the marvel chip".

I was under the impression that the firmware can be extracted from the board without repairing it (with a no spin up issue).

PostPosted: February 7th, 2020, 20:10 

If the Marvell chip is alive, it can be transferred to another PCB.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2020, 20:22 

I think I double posted some info - I'm new here and I now understand my posts are delayed several hours by the admin.

Just so I understand, are you saying there is no need to repair the board first to transfer the firmware? That's what I thought - Wonder why HDD-parts.com is telling me otherwise.

I wouldn't mind testing the smooth chip - can you share where the test points are to test this chip?

PostPosted: February 7th, 2020, 20:57 

I assume you have uploaded a photo that is waiting for approval ...

PostPosted: February 7th, 2020, 22:05 

Here are the pics

Attachments:
379E2428-8713-44D5-9D66-5C284359129E.jpeg
379E2428-8713-44D5-9D66-5C284359129E.jpeg [ 694.19 KiB | Viewed 12389 times ]
C69732C4-E920-4421-8388-515BD70E9BEE.jpeg
C69732C4-E920-4421-8388-515BD70E9BEE.jpeg [ 813.31 KiB | Viewed 12389 times ]

PostPosted: February 8th, 2020, 4:04 

Measure the voltages at Q1 (near the "ROM") and L1 and L2 (inductors near SMOOTH chip). Q1 is the +3.3V supply, while I expect that L1 and L2 would be +1.2V (Vcore) and +2.5V (Vio).

If any voltage is missing, measure the resistance between it and ground. You can use the working PCB for comparison.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2020, 12:03 

Q1 voltages p1-3: 3.95, 5, 3.28
L1 voltages: 1.178, 1.188
L2 voltages: 2.569, 2.577

(Screw hole as ground)

PostPosted: February 8th, 2020, 15:34 

It looks like the SMOOTH chip is generating the proper supply voltages.

Did the drive come from a desktop PC? Is there any possibility that PUIS is enabled (Power Up In Standby)? PUIS is commonly enabled in DVRs.

I don't know if the demo version of WDMarvel is able to read the "ROM" code from you board. If not, then there may be another way, but it would require a lot of mucking about with TTL adapters and shorting points on the PCB.

Still, one would think that hdd-parts should be able to read the ROM in this state, if they have the DR tools, and if the MCU and its oscillator are working.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2020, 16:17 

Yes, it came from a PC. Since the smooth chip is testing good, and another board spins the motor, does it still seem to be a board problem? The fact the other board spins the motor confirms its a board problem, correct?

I assume WDMarvell is a professional tool?

The conflicting responses from HDD-parts.com are concerning to me. It just doesn't make sense so I'm losing my confidence in that company. I found donordrives.com appears to have this board and offer firmware transfers. I've read good and bad about this company. They want me to send the entire drive to them for evaluation, but I would probably just send the logic board for a replacement and firmware transfer.

I would continue checking test points with you if want to continue this .... but either way, I've been reading several of your posts in this forum and other forums - you have been a remarkable help to others. Really want to thank you for your time...

PostPosted: February 8th, 2020, 18:43 

Rolin wrote:
Yes, it came from a PC. Since the smooth chip is testing good, and another board spins the motor, does it still seem to be a board problem? The fact the other board spins the motor confirms its a board problem, correct?

The SMOOTH chip performs several functions including power control, spin motor control and voice coil motor control. We have verified only one of them. It does appear to be a board fault, although we can't say which chip is the culprit.

Rolin wrote:
I assume WDMarvell is a professional tool?

Yes, but the demo version can read the ROM and SA firmware via ATA. I don't know if it can read the ROM via terminal, though.

Rolin wrote:
The conflicting responses from HDD-parts.com are concerning to me. It just doesn't make sense so I'm losing my confidence in that company.

Ask them which pro tools they use. They can either retrieve the ROM code from a working MCU, or they can use a PCB which is a reasonable match and then retrieve the "adaptive" sections from the platters. But they would need your drive for that.

Rolin wrote:
I found donordrives.com appears to have this board and offer firmware transfers. I've read good and bad about this company. They want me to send the entire drive to them for evaluation, but I would probably just send the logic board for a replacement and firmware transfer.

See https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25524

I would hang on to your drive.

BTW, the reason that I like hdd-parts.com (and onepcbsolution.com -- same company) is that they were the first to come clean and tell their clients that a straight board swap wouldn't work. Other suppliers were selling their wares to purchasers who were not aware of this requirement, with the result that they wasted their money and then became vulnerable to be hooked into a "professional data recovery".

PostPosted: February 8th, 2020, 23:20 

I'll follow up with hdd-parts.com again and ask those questions. But you mentioned something of interest - "...or they can use a PCB which is a reasonable match and then retrieve the "adaptive" sections from the platters." I wasn't planning on sending the drive to them, but now it sounds like it might be necessary. Curious, Is this something I can do?

As far as donordrives.com, I read that thread already and it does concern me. There is another similar forum thread out there as well. I was not planning on sending the drive - just the logic board.

HDD-Parts.com also concerns me with a board repair. Here is a thread on their work replacing the Smooth chip. Not sure their soldering is up to par if I'm understanding this thread correctly. https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?t=26178

PostPosted: February 9th, 2020, 10:34 

On this model, contaminated heads from media damage will cause the drive not to spin up with the correct ROM / PCB.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2020, 11:45 

DataSaver, you said "On this model, contaminated heads from media damage will cause the drive not to spin up with the correct ROM / PCB.". Does this mean the drive would or would not spin up with another board without the correct firmware? I tested the drive with another board (without correct firmware) and the drive spins up. Just need clarification... thanks

Admin, I'm a new user here and understand all of my posts need admin approval before they're shown. Some of my posts are taking several hours to show, causing confusion on whether my post is lost or not. The last post I made still hasn't shown in over 10 hours. I looked for the policy on this but can't find it - wondering why and when this restriction will be lifted. Thanks

PostPosted: February 9th, 2020, 11:47 

I'm starting to realize posts with web addresses are delayed by admin? I understand the need for this - but just want to make sure to avoid delays when posting.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2020, 16:10 

Rolin wrote:
DataSaver, you said "On this model, contaminated heads from media damage will cause the drive not to spin up with the correct ROM / PCB.". Does this mean the drive would or would not spin up with another board without the correct firmware? I tested the drive with another board (without correct firmware) and the drive spins up.

No, he just didn't read beyond the first two lines of your post. There is nothing which points to an internal fault.

To test the remote possibility that the patient and donor firmware versions behave differently, place a business card between the HDA contacts and the PCB, and then see if the drive spins up.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2020, 0:50 

Looks like my post from last night never appeared. I think it must be the outside website noted or outside links - so I'll stop doing that.

Fzabkar, I downloaded WDMarvell Demo and played with it a bit. I connected a good WD drive via USB and was able to see the ROM Modules - even saw a section called "adaptive". But when I connect the patient drive via USB, I can't access the ROM. But of course I don't know what I'm doing, so I don't know what this means!

Placed a piece of paper between the HDA contacts and the PCB - motor still does not spin.

I contacted HDD-Parts again - they confirmed "Yes, we must repair the board before extracting the ROM code from the Marvell chip". And recommended to send the entire drive in case the main controller chip is damaged so they can make a new board with the drive in hand. I suppose this makes sense - as you mentioned the adaptive sections can be recreated from the drive.

I saw another thread where someone sent a board to DataPro (Hdd-Parts) and the smooth chip was replaced - but the soldering didn't impress the forum members and the drive still did not work. Not sure if I should be concerned or not but one of the reasons I wanted a replacement board rather than a repair attempt on the original board. Not sure what I'll do at this point - but most likely I'll send the entire drive - doesn't seem like there is much of a choice.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2020, 11:03 

Rolin wrote:
DataSaver, you said "On this model, contaminated heads from media damage will cause the drive not to spin up with the correct ROM / PCB.". Does this mean the drive would or would not spin up with another board without the correct firmware? I tested the drive with another board (without correct firmware) and the drive spins up. Just need clarification... thanks

It will spin up with the "wrong" PCB but not the "right" one if there are media damaged heads.