All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Health of Partitions
PostPosted: February 10th, 2020, 9:04 

If I create a 60-gigabyte partition on a hard drive in order to be regularly writing to and deleting data from, will only the same disk blocks be used all the time, or will the disk be using blocks which are also used for other partitions? In other words, if the 60GB partition is frequently used for much writing and deleting of data, will the health of other partitions remain unaffected or will it be deteriorating?

Post subject: Re: Health of Partitions
PostPosted: February 10th, 2020, 12:06 

"...will the health of other partitions remain unaffected or will it be deteriorating..." Unlike data folders, whatever action is taken upon anything in data partition X will remain in data partition X. Now, data partition X could develop a problem, logical or physical, however, that should not affect other OS or data partitions.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2020, 9:43 

Thank you for the explanation. This is what I wanted to know, whether bad sectors in one partition can affect other partitions, because I had previously read somewhere that if there are some bad blocks on a hard drive, they can spread on the drive.

PostPosted: February 12th, 2020, 0:23 

Vlad5 wrote:
Thank you for the explanation. This is what I wanted to know, whether bad sectors in one partition can affect other partitions, because I had previously read somewhere that if there are some bad blocks on a hard drive, they can spread on the drive.

Bad blocks which are due to a bad head can spread to other areas on the same surface (a bad head may write bad data). If the head is contaminated as a result of media contact, then ISTM that such contamination may spread throughout the drive.

PostPosted: February 12th, 2020, 15:44 

Apparently in my case, if I regularly write to and delete much data from a partition on a drive, this is not going to affect other partitions as long as the head is not old.