All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to Speed up laptop hard drive
PostPosted: December 11th, 2019, 10:11 

Hello, I am new here. Just wanted to know, I have hp omen 15 laptop and it's hard drive is so slow that it boots up in around 2 minutes or more. Please help.

Post subject: Re: How to Speed up laptop hard drive
PostPosted: December 11th, 2019, 11:36 

If its taking multiple minutes to start up then its usually the case that the hard drive is failing. If you don't want to take it to a pro, then you should clone your hard drive to another of the same size using ddrescue. Once ddrescue completes (make sure you save the log) install the new drive in the laptop and it should just work. But if you really want to make the laptop quick, doing an upgrade to a solid state drive is probably the #1 way to improve the performance of windows 10.

Before you start down any path however, I recommend posting the laptop model or serial number, as well as the model of the internal hard drive and any details like if the computer is in an optane configuration.

PostPosted: February 18th, 2020, 13:14 

sarfrazk9 wrote:
Hello, I am new here. Just wanted to know, I have hp omen 15 laptop and it's hard drive is so slow that it boots up in around 2 minutes or more. Please help.

Were you able to solve this issue? I'm having a similar problem

PostPosted: February 18th, 2020, 14:00 

WillJohnson wrote:
sarfrazk9 wrote:

Were you able to solve this issue? I'm having a similar problem

Usualy it would solve

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2020, 8:11 

1. check the BIOS version, then check HP product page for any updates. (use the Product ID number to search for your exact laptop). Apply update.
2.install any updated drivers, chipset, rapid storage, audio, etc.
3. look in your nvidia control panel at the graphics adapter, and note the version of the nVidia driver. Look at HP Product page of version of latest available driver, then look on Nvidia website at their available version. HP are generaly a few revision behind. download the latest driver you can find from hp or nvidia.
note: there is a new type of Driver called DCH. you can use standard driver or DCH, it doesn't matter. Just that the DCH will need to download the control panel from MS Store after driver is installed - it is not packaged with it anymore.

I had around 30 HP 800G4 machines that this week started to not display from HDM, or would not duplicate screen. Turns out a Feb 2020 BIOS update plus latest Nvidia driver fixed it. Nvidia driver was not on HP site yet, many revisions behind.

a complete wipe of the system, and re-install is preferred.

Also, look in your event log (type eventvwr in run box) for any insight.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2020, 10:11 

I would start out with checking the drive's SMART status with CrystalDiskInfo. If there are any cautions, clone the disk to a new disk, preferably a solid state drive. In fact, I would suggest doing that regardless of the SMART report, as it could be a problem that isn't reflected in the SMART report.

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2020, 1:28 

it should already be a SSD. At least the OS drive.

about the only bit of fact we can take is "so slow that it boots up in around 2 minutes or more." but the blame of HDD is premature and not based on anything.
I agree with Larry to check SMART . there may be a SSD tool from the vendor to check health as well.