All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finding Corrupt Files
PostPosted: June 29th, 2020, 15:46 

I need to know how to check whether there are any corrupt files in a specified directory, and if so, to list their paths and names in a text file.

Post subject: Re: Finding Corrupt Files
PostPosted: June 30th, 2020, 6:57 

Some context is required I guess ...

Do you mean corrupt due to bad sectors? Have you cloned the drive and of so using what?

HD Sentinel can surface scan and map specific sectors to files

If you need to verify contents and if files are structurally okay (vs corrupt) there is no universal tool as the tool needs to know what the structure of a valid file looks like. And even if it can verify that, the actual data may still be corrupt. Example, JPEG. A tool may be able to tell if chain of markers is intact and if it goes even further may huffman decompress image data, but even if that shows no errors the photo may still be corrupt. Now some file types may embed checksums but the tool would need to know about each and every file type to verify their integrity. Speaking of which, tools to exist that calculate checksums for files so you can compare those at a later time.

IOW, your question is too vague to answer and if you're looking for a universal tool that can detect corruption i each and every file type: it does not exist.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2020, 11:57 

Thank you. I do not know much about the various types of data corruption. I have not cloned the drive and need to check data integrity in certain directories.

According to my limited understanding, data corruption occurs when changes in a file are not made by the user but by some other causes, such as bad sectors on the drive. I spotted some corrupt files when they could not be opened and when I tried to delete them. Instead of sending the files into the Recycle Bin, the system deleted them permanently, which was a sign of the corrupt condition of the files. Such damaged files also sometimes cannot be copied onto another drive, and the system shows error messages.

If every file has a checksum embedded in it automatically by the Windows system each time when it is created or edited, what software can be used to read the checksums to see whether files are intact?

PostPosted: July 1st, 2020, 14:53 

Quote:
If every file has a checksum embedded in it automatically by the Windows system each time when it is created or edited

I doesn't.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2020, 14:03 

Arch Stanton wrote:
Quote:
If every file has a checksum embedded in it automatically by the Windows system each time when it is created or edited
It doesn't.

Would the OP have to have the license-version of HardDisk Sentinal for the that was mentioned earlier?

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2020, 0:11 

If you Recover data using PC3000 DE then each recovered file is tested amd all such faulty files are isolated automatically but this is during data recovery process.
for limited no of files you can run some file identifying tools which may identify corrupt files but this is not automated process.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2020, 13:31 

terminator2 wrote:
for limited no of files you can run some file identifying tools which may identify corrupt files but this is not automated process.

This is the program which I need to quickly check whether there are any corrupt files in a directory. Does Hard Disk Sentinel include this function?

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2020, 13:50 

Vlad5 wrote:
terminator2 wrote:

This is the program which I need to quickly check whether there are any corrupt files in a directory. Does Hard Disk Sentinel include this function?

No. It scans for bad sectors and if any found it can tell which files are affected by it.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2020, 15:17 

I believe that the newer versions of UFS Explorer will split files with read errors out to a separate folder when working with the original drive...though I don't recommend that.

Alternatively, if you write a pattern on the clone drive in place of the damaged sectors, and then setup UFS to split out files with the pattern to a separate folder.

PostPosted: July 4th, 2020, 11:19 

Thank you for the information. Apparently I will have to install Hard Disk Sentinel to see how it checks hard drive for data corruption.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2020, 16:58 

Another way is to make a backup with drive snapshot (http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/index.htm) and then to locate the defective files via the log file. The Parameter after the Backup is
Code:
snapshot - -LocateSector @BadSectors_X.txt Z: