All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deleted Files
PostPosted: September 25th, 2020, 9:59 

What's decent piece of software to recover deleted files from a drive (it's an SSD). The person who owns it says he accidentally deleted lots of photos and docs by accident. The thing is I don't think he is being totally truthfull as he says he did this to all 3 user accounts.
He got some back using Recuva but not all of the files.
Any help appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Deleted Files
PostPosted: September 25th, 2020, 10:18 

TRIM + SSD + Deleted files = Data is gone

https://searchstorage.techtarget.com/de ... SSD%20life.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2020, 10:19 

I feared that might be the case. Thanks..

PostPosted: September 26th, 2020, 11:26 

I think he may be a bit nuts. He couldn't recover deleted files using Recuva as he says he did. He's dropped the PC off to me and wants me to put the SSD back in it. Told me it was about 5 years old. It's a Dell Dimension E520 that dates from 2004. I'll try and flog a refurbished tower to him and make a bit of cash that way.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2020, 8:43 

I've just found out that the owner has given me the wrong drive to work on.. The disk that he says he has deleted the data from is a Seagate Barracuda 1tb which I have now. What's a decent product that might recover more data than Recuva which he already used?

PostPosted: September 28th, 2020, 11:44 

You have DMDE, right?

PostPosted: September 28th, 2020, 11:49 

Using it now. It's seemed to have found lots of deleted files although a lot are corrupted. Better than nothing though..

PostPosted: September 28th, 2020, 11:52 

It's the faith of deleted files.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2020, 13:40 

Quote:
I've just found out that the owner has given me the wrong drive to work on.. The disk that he says he has deleted the data from is a Seagate Barracuda 1tb which I have now. What's a decent product that might recover more data than Recuva which he already used?

It should be noted that in some cases Recuva outclasses reputed commercial softwares, as I found out recently, compared with R-Studio, when it comes to raw recovery of AVI files, or when it comes to assessing the state of files and their recovery potential (whether or not they have been overwritten).

Quote:
It's seemed to have found lots of deleted files although a lot are corrupted. Better than nothing though..

There are files which are still referenced by the filesystem structures (MFT on NTFS), but which have been overwritten by other files referenced by the filesystem structures, and there can also be files overwritten by files which are no longer referenced yet are in a perfect condition themselves, or wiped by other means which leave no trace within the filesystem (in which case, as good as Recuva is at assessing files' condition, it will comment them as “excellent” even though they are in fact unrecoverable).
And of course, there can be files which were recoverable right after the deletion, but which got overwritten during a prior recovery attempt which extracted the chosen files onto the same partition of the same device (I've once tried to help someone remotely, a videast who was working on a documentary, had deleted an important interview video on a memory card, which was not copied to her computer because that file somehow wasn't included in the mouse selection -- I advised her to always check important files with a duplicate detector before deleting them, to avoid situations like this or detect possible corruptions, but she said that she had enough to worry about in her work and didn't want to be bothered with technical stuff, oh well ; at this point it should have been easy to recover it, but her good friend, soon-to-be-foe, despite working in IT, had the oh so clever idea of trying a bunch of random recovery softwares gathered on teh Internetz, one of which did exactly what I described ; and so when I saw her anouncement, I thought that it'd be quick and make a few welcome bucks, instead I spent more than an hour trying everything to find at least remnants of the damn file -- there was a brief moment of hope when she saw what was only the thumbnail to that video --, and finally showed her with WinHex what part of which file was now located where the now lost file was supposed to be ; oh, and I never got paid, which made me reconsider the value of doing such one-off work remotely).

PostPosted: September 28th, 2020, 13:55 

Typical case of TL;DR in that R-TT forum.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2020, 15:40 

Quote:
Typical case of TL;DR in that R-TT forum.

Well, it's supposed to be read by the team of developpers, or at least by someone in a position to directly interact with the developpers (which whoever goes by the nickname “Alt” seems to be), so I was thorough indeed, hoping that it would contribute to some future improvement, instead of merely complaining. My similarly “TL;DR” musings about raw detection of MKV files a few years ago may have contributed to a major improvement on that matter at some point (apparently a few months later with v. 8.1.165145 released on 2016/10/25).

PostPosted: September 28th, 2020, 16:37 

Managed to get about 130gb of good data back (around half) with DMDE. Not a bad job...