All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: sudden death ?
PostPosted: January 13th, 2021, 17:12 

hi
if i connect the tx and tx together , for example 1 tx from the pin 1 tx from the trace it short the board and the hdd wont spin unless i release one of the tx point .
what i did notice is when i short them out there is some art effect on the terminal windows . but that just nonse i know.

i did not get any output while tx/rx were alone or rx tx together , no output at all .

should i type any letter ? or there is forbiden letters.

by the way, as u seen in the picture , i have not connected the 1.8V to one of the hdd pin . (not sure if this necessary , only tx and rx was)

PostPosted: January 13th, 2021, 18:47 

you connect like:

HDD TX - Serial Adapter RX
HDD RX - Serial Adapter TX
HDD GND - Serial Adapter GND

TX = Transmit
RX = Receive
GND = Ground

transmit one side, receive the other

you don't need 1.8v, you DO need Ground

PostPosted: January 13th, 2021, 20:23 

i meant to connect the adapter's TX to its RX, without hdd . Just to test if your adapter is working. you should see the characters you type appearing in your terminal window (without local echo enabled!)

Honestly, this thread went beyond all imagination. What the crap we are doing here if you can't connect 3 wires?
You should admit it does not work for you and decide what to do with the drive, bin it or ask pro help.

pepe

PostPosted: January 14th, 2021, 3:05 

I didn't read any previous pages. I will let the Pro's handle this "You're welcome" pepe!

PostPosted: January 14th, 2021, 6:51 

pepe wrote:
i meant to connect the adapter's TX to its RX, without hdd . Just to test if your adapter is working. you should see the characters you type appearing in your terminal window (without local echo enabled!)

Honestly, this thread went beyond all imagination. What the crap we are doing here if you can't connect 3 wires?
You should admit it does not work for you and decide what to do with the drive, bin it or ask pro help.

pepe

hey
idk why you so upset , if i already explained and said , no output whats so ever on the hdd.

the adapter works , i have connected it to a different board (not related to hdd) to read out UART from it. and it worked .

and if i connect the tx to rx on the adapter itself i do see art effect

PostPosted: January 14th, 2021, 14:52 

Quote:
idk why you so upset

40+ posts and we are still at where we were in the beginning. If the hdd spins up then you must have get something on the terminal.
You got tips, please get back when you have the log, we can't help you more, we tried to give you all the info you need at this stage, yet no result.
btw, i was not upset, just wrote what i thought.

pepe

PostPosted: January 16th, 2021, 21:42 

ok a little update.

i found a trick and it kinda works , it wont freez the pc

DISKPART> automount disable
Automatic mounting of new volumes disabled.

DISKPART> automount scrub
DiskPart successfully scrubbed the mount point settings in the system.
Automatic mounting of new volumes disabled.

now the drive is connected to the pc with out freezing
i ran r-studio on it.
they are 2 volumes http://prntscr.com/wy7gtz
1, from 1MB to 492GB
2, the rest.

if i try to read the second volume with r-studio however it tries to read the sector but it cant , http://prntscr.com/wy7ajl
then the disk disconnect .

when i try to read the first volume it work up untill 80% , then it stops and the disk disconnect and reconnect

i have begun to recover some of the files 80% of the first volume .

from ur perspective , what causes this issue ? do u think its a head ? or its still logical .

PostPosted: January 17th, 2021, 17:28 

Since you can’t get the terminal output for diagnosis, you need to focus on trying to clone the drive. Quit trying to work with it in Windows, or you will kill it without getting any useful data.

Clone it with either ddrescue or HDDSuperClone. I would recommend HDDSuperClone since you say the drive goes offline, as ddrescue is not able to detect when a drive is not responding.

And since you say you can get 80% of the first 400+GB partition, that would indicate there is not a bad head, at least not yet. It could indicate a partial access problem, or media damage, or both. You need to try to clone it with a tool that uses a log, so that good data is not needed to be read again.

FYI, pepe already suggested to clone it with HDDSuperClone in this thread, and apparently you have not listened.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2021, 8:17 

maximus wrote:
Since you can’t get the terminal output for diagnosis, you need to focus on trying to clone the drive. Quit trying to work with it in Windows, or you will kill it without getting any useful data.

Clone it with either ddrescue or HDDSuperClone. I would recommend HDDSuperClone since you say the drive goes offline, as ddrescue is not able to detect when a drive is not responding.

And since you say you can get 80% of the first 400+GB partition, that would indicate there is not a bad head, at least not yet. It could indicate a partial access problem, or media damage, or both. You need to try to clone it with a tool that uses a log, so that good data is not needed to be read again.

FYI, pepe already suggested to clone it with HDDSuperClone in this thread, and apparently you have not listened.

You are right ,

I haven't touched the hdd untill i received my boards .

I wanted to fix the root of the problem or at least know the root of the issue .
I still do.

Note that i didnt knew the diskpart option, But since it get recognized and wont disconnect and wont freeze the pc anymore i decided to go ahead and retrieve what i can.

Thank you for recommending hddsuperclone , i guess i did missed it .

I am using it now (livecd) to clone the drive.

What i can say now after using r-studio is was able yo save alot of data , however i did suffer from bad sectors with rstudio so not all of the data i wanted is there ,
There is 2 partion , one is not even accessesbale and the second one where the data is make rstudio freez at 80% i guess because it acounter bad sectors , so up to this 80% i was able to get (some of the files still had problems)

I noted that hddsuperclone didn't had the option to select a partion only , just a whole disk , also in the live cd , it wasn't possible to start virtual disk drive

PostPosted: January 18th, 2021, 8:58 

Lol , it seems that hddsuperclone hangs aswell after reaching a certain threshold ;)

After reaching 32gb , it hangs , so i stopped the program and restart it , loaded the project file , then tried to load the drive but the drive windows wont even open :P its just hangs

The longest time ms was 80k ms .after that it just hanged there

Attachment:
PXL_20210118_125032468.MP.jpg
PXL_20210118_125032468.MP.jpg [ 7.44 MiB | Viewed 23173 times ]

PostPosted: January 18th, 2021, 11:34 

If the drive is locking up, you may need to power cycle it. You would stop/disconnect HDDSuperClone (I would assume it should eventually stop on its own with an error message), power cycle the drive, and then attempt to connect/start to continue.

I don't normally suggest this as it messes with the skipping algorithm, but you can go into the advanced settings and change the current position to try to get away from the bad spot, if that is what it is.

Alternatively, you could purchase the 60 day pro license for $20 USD and use direct AHCI mode, which will allow the use of timed soft/hard resets. The resets could help keep the drive from locking up, but there is no way to know for sure without trying. You would also get the ability to control a relay for power cycles, although you would need to purchase the relay and SATA power extension cable and wire it yourself.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2021, 14:27 

Quote:
I noted that hddsuperclone didn't had the option to select a partion only , just a whole disk , also in the live cd , it wasn't possible to start virtual disk drive

The method of drive access does not provide any information about the file system, so hddsuperclone has no idea of where any partitions are. And it is always best to clone by the whole drive and not by partition, because what happens when sector 0 becomes unreadable and the computer no longer can tell where the partitions are... suddenly all the work of cloning by partition cannot be continued.

If you want to target the first partition, then you need to set the size in the clone settings. But you need to do some math. You say it is 492GB, assuming GiB and using 493 to be safe and get the whole partition, an online calculator comes up with 529354719232 bytes. Divide that by the logical sector size of 512 and you get 1033895936 sectors. That is what you would set the size at.

The virtual disk is only available in the paid pro version.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2021, 8:40 

i will continue to give some updates just for the sake of anyone whos intrested .

there is some draw backs , BUT i must say HDDSuperClone is really really good and i am glad to know its existent .

after i explained above the situation i remember that when booting the live cd it does not hanged the system, so this is what i did , i rebooted the system to resume/continue where it stoped thanks to the "project" i created , so it continue where i left off after picking up a drive source and a destination file (i selected the one that was already there the 32gb~ file)

and it continued after couple of minutes (some time seconds) and stopped again with the same errors.

https://imgur.com/a/TkRfMpX

right after this error, the HDD hangs for a long period of time, then it "calms down" , get out of the timeout (it stops hanging) and u can read from it again by pressing "connect" and "start" , this is what i am doing for the last 2 days . :D

the draw back are
1, it does not resume by it self with out me pressing connect and start.
2, some time the HDD disconnect and reconnect itself , when this happen, it get a new source lets say from /dev/sda to /dev/sdf , when this happen (and it did happen multiple times) HDDSuperClone cant find the "source" drive because its not in the same path ofc, because ubuntu assign it elsewhere .

this is what i accomplish so far :) after non stop connect and start i am pretty happy .

http://prntscr.com/xabt3m

i was able to clone this much info because the error did not show for straight up 5:40h~ .

@maximus

thanks alot of all the information that u shared.

1, i did try to power on and off the drive but it was still hanging
2, i do have the option of soft/hard reset , i did try it aswell but that did not work. the hdd was still hanging
3, Q. how come HDDSuperClone dont know where the partion are ? if fdisk , mdme , rstudio , windows, and all other software do know where the partion is.
instead of selecting /dev/sda for the whole drive just select /dev/sda1-2-3... , for example if u have limited backup space it would be usefull to backup by partition and not the whole drive .

i am still trying to understand what is the cause /root of the problem , and how it can be fixed

i forgot to ask , after having the 1tb file , with what can i read it properly ?

with dmde it took 1 hour~ to read 300gb

PostPosted: January 20th, 2021, 17:49 

If you are finding that you don't need to power cycle the drive, but instead just wait some time before continuing, then there is a trick for that. In the Advanced settings, under Action to perform on major error, check Call command. Then for the command use "sleep 120" (without quotes), where 120 is the number of seconds to sleep (2 minutes in this case). Adjust the number as needed. This will allow hddsuperclone to stop, wait for the sleep time, and then try to continue.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2021, 19:33 

Quote:
i am still trying to understand what is the cause /root of the problem , and how it can be fixed

You can’t fix this drive. I can tell much more from an actual progress log file, but from the screenshot it appears that it has a bad spot of media damage on a platter. The good news is that it could be a very decent recovery, assuming the drive survives long enough. You need to let the hddsuperclone algorithm do its job, at least through phase 2. After phase 2 it will be digging hard into the bad spot, and it could kill a head, and the drive could die at any time. Or as previously stated, the butter is melting very fast.

If you want a better analysis, I would need the actual progress log file. If you can’t attach files due to lack of posts, you could paste the log file text into a code box.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2021, 22:29 

@maximus

cool , well to bad i didnt knew about the sleep function 3 days ago :D ,

well its almost done , i have ran it over 8h with out any issue , right now they are couple of hundred gigs left with reading speed of 3mbs in "phase 2 " so it might take another day or two i think .

here how it looks like :)

https://imgur.com/NzQ0MkP

anyhow in the mean time i paused the proccess just to see how does it look with dmde , rstudio , and ufs pro recovery , and it seems that each of them yield about the same result .

apparently they are some valuable data on the other partition to, some pictures , i have scanned it with rstudio (and others) it found the folders and files (folder) structure and also how much it should weight , buts the actual files are empty in hex view everything is 0 .
i did found picture on the "raw files" but those pictures was damaged , meaning only a part of the picture was visible (top/bottom) but not the whole thing.

here the rstudio dash before scaning the image.
https://imgur.com/MM5SzVo

heres an after picture after the rstudio scan .

https://imgur.com/6HzGzGO

and here is dmde
https://imgur.com/vtxjZcB

the scan is not yet completed , but i still shared the long if u want to look at it .
Attachment:
shany.log [168.79 KiB]
Downloaded 595 times

or the whole log folder
Attachment:
shany logs folder.tar.gz [334.82 KiB]
Downloaded 608 times

so what u are saying is , from ur educated guess u think its a damage on the platter ?
from what ? from the head itself that scratched the platter ?
i dont hear any sound of scratching , clicking or anything , so its pretty weird :o
if so , going to a pro shop to swap heads wont help much am i right ? ( since its a platter dmg)
but from what i remember on an old drive of a friend when the platter was scratch his hdd shut down immediately

PostPosted: January 21st, 2021, 11:09 

maximus wrote:
Quote:

You can’t fix this drive. I can tell much more from an actual progress log file, but from the screenshot it appears that it has a bad spot of media damage on a platter. The good news is that it could be a very decent recovery, assuming the drive survives long enough. You need to let the hddsuperclone algorithm do its job, at least through phase 2. After phase 2 it will be digging hard into the bad spot, and it could kill a head, and the drive could die at any time. Or as previously stated, the butter is melting very fast.

If you want a better analysis, I would need the actual progress log file. If you can’t attach files due to lack of posts, you could paste the log file text into a code box.

still not over , phase 3 , i was wondering .

is that possible to know how much data have been mist because of skips ?
https://imgur.com/CaccBOo

for example in my case 3181 skips , how can i convert that to actual data lost

PostPosted: January 21st, 2021, 19:14 

The data that has not been read is the non-tried data. After phase 1-2 that is what was skipped. After phase 3 it will also be what was skipped.

Here is a screenshot from hddscviewer showing the pattern in the left column, from the 81% phase 2 log. It is much more than a bad spot, more like a dying head, maybe dirty or damaged, possibly from a spot of media damage, and also possibly causing more media damage. The only good news is that most of that skipped data might still be readable, at least as long as the drive survives. Most of the skips have been for slow reads. The bad news is that at some point in time you will likely reach a point where progress will slow down to a crawl. But it is unclear at this time how much data will be successfully read at that time. Maybe it will be good, maybe not.

Attachment:
Screenshot - 01212021.png
Screenshot - 01212021.png [ 20.26 KiB | Viewed 22915 times ]

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2021, 4:23 

maximus wrote:
It is much more than a bad spot, more like a dying head, maybe dirty or damaged, possibly from a spot of media damage, and also possibly causing more media damage.]

Looks like media damage causing mucky heads to me - Unless the drive had data that far stop trashing the heads on stuff after 50% it's not going to read it. There's a good chance that the first 50% will pick up most of the odd stuff in phase 3 & 4, limit recovery attempts to that area. If you haven't bought the pro version - get the trial at least and switch to direct ahci . You'll get more control over the resets and timeouts which will reduce the risk of killing things before you have recovered as much as possible (and maximus deserves his beer money :D ) .

Having now also bought pc3000 (I know I said I wouldn't :oops: ), I am even more impressed with how effective hddsuperclone can be when used wisely.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2021, 23:02 

I don't know exactly how this will turn out, but the log was at 81% in phase 2, and the newest screenshot of phase 3 is at 90%. That is a big improvement. And from the screenshot of phase 3, it actually looks like it is reading at a decent data rate. So I really have no idea how this will turn out. It could be better than we think. Or it could die at any time. But the OP wants a learning experience as opposed to professional recovery, so a learning experience it will be. I am not sure if the OP would benefit much from the pro version, without any experience.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next