All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

What should be the cost for Data recovery?
2-15 USD for all Recovery 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Better to do it Free Instead of taking such little amount 83%  83%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 12
 Post subject: Datarecovery charges
PostPosted: July 15th, 2007, 3:07 

Hello to all ,

This is to DR experts which are doing there job for earning living and love's and devoted to DR bussiness.

What should be the cost for Data recovery?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2007, 3:16 

Well I can not vote on this.

Truly I believe it's impossible to judge the value of data recovery in various countries. In my country, there are people doing data recovery also @ 7-8 USD per case (talking about the sum of 1,000 files in each case)

This is not correct I think. Let's say, the file worth to be recovered is only about 500 files...then the charge would be only 7-8 USD. It's not worth it.

But what if the files consist of thousands of files ? Well, there would be large sum of money.

But, in my opinion, it's nicer to propose to customer the fixed price first, say, in case of head malfunctioning, the price is 200 USD (for example !)

But honestly, these are just a matter of taste. In global I do not agree about charging 2-15 USD for ANY CASES.

The second choice (FREE ??) ---> Well, if you're doing it, maybe, just maybe, you are not doing any data recovery (possibly just copy paste procedure) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2007, 3:27 

Thanks alot for reply,

here i welcome pricing should be charged for recovery and for their types,
like,

Logical in FAT system,BR damaged ,1st fat copy damaged and both fat damaged..or fat recovery like __ usd to __ usd
NTFS __ usd to __ usd
and others..
want to see your opinions?

Does datarecovey bussiness should need to make a status Mark to not to work below it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2007, 4:06 

friend wrote:
Thanks alot for reply,

here i welcome pricing should be charged for recovery and for their types,
like,

Logical in FAT system,BR damaged ,1st fat copy damaged and both fat damaged..or fat recovery like __ usd to __ usd
NTFS __ usd to __ usd
and others..
want to see your opinions?

Does datarecovey bussiness should need to make a status Mark to not to work below it?

Hi friend,
I see...

Principally, I divide data recovery in two major cases.

1. Logical data recovery :

This is all about hard drive with normal condition (no firmware structure danages and all other components are OK). So only doing recovery in LBA based...

This is, however, is not so simple when recovering data after being infected by virus. Let's say virus infected the .xls file and encrypted its contents, overwriting and then, deleting the original files, and save the encrypted files in .bmp files...

Well, you can see, no antivirus will be able to deal with this condition. They just simply quarantine it or delete it and we have no data... This case will prove your capability and understanding about files, virus and reverse engineering. No Data Recovery software can help.

The price of this case, I think are justified by the sum of files (This is correct in this case !). let's say 20 USD per file will be enough for me. If the files are just too many, say 1000s of them, well, I'd propose the customer to pay about 1,000-2,000 USD for all files...

2. Physical data recovery...

This is the difficult one. I can not say that it should be very expensive, well, truly we invested a lot of hardware and components to deal with this kind of data recovery. nonetheless efforts and time.

But what if we just simply put the price above the logical data recovery ?

See here :
http://hddstudio.net/forum/showpost.php?p=22&postcount=1

that's about 125 USD - 800 USD in several cases.

I can not say it's cheap. And also, can not say it's expensive either.

I just have to update the price per week, to make sure I keep update with any possibilities. Several models of hard drive with same model tends to fail at the same week. So I must keep my components @stock.

Above all, I think, we're gonna need to explain to the customer why data recovery is so expensive. We must show them, that the whole procees in not so easy. Not just clicking the mouse buttons.... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2007, 5:08 

I think you should also consider where this datarecovery takes place and how the living-standard is there.

I can imaging very well that for someone who owns 1200 Euro/month a recovery of 600 Euro is very expensive but feasable.
But if you live in a country where you earn 50 Euro/month this is extravagant pricing.
15 Euro's is already quite expensive there.

So, what i want to say is that everyone has to know howmuch their customers are willing to spend for a recovery and if this price is reasonable according to the livingstandards of that country.

Regards,

Dobre

Post subject: Re: Datarecovery charges
PostPosted: July 16th, 2007, 0:50 

I agree with Dobrevjester. Price must based on Harddrive condition and Logical Condition. If it is easy case then the price will not be expensive. it difficult case then the price is not cheap alse caused the time is very consumtive for such difficult case. I prefer to compare the price with how many time I spend to get their data.

Thanks

PostPosted: July 18th, 2007, 10:17 

Quote:
2-15 USD for all Recovery

2-15 hundred USD you mean?

PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 10:34 

if it's thousand I will vote :)

PostPosted: August 15th, 2007, 8:34 

I think that prices will be different based on where you are based. We have offices in UK, USA, Germany and some others and prices are all different because the markets are different, and also it is not feasible to charge the same cost for a recovery of a damaged partition as a platter swap for example.

Also because of differences in the global markets you can not make an accurate comparison to another country either.

As long as the customer is happy with the cost, and the cost is enough to cover the work and time required to perform the recovery.

I have also performed a recovery for free in the past, where an elderly lady lost the only photos she had of her recently deceased husband and she could not afford to pay for data recovery!!!

PostPosted: September 6th, 2007, 22:37 

no one will works on DR. They can not earn their bread. That's All!

PostPosted: September 9th, 2007, 4:55 

If a customer can't afford my professionality, my skills and - most of all - don't think that my service is worth the price, it's NOT my customer, go elsewhere if possible.
I have invested a lot of money, time and study and i do my best to give solutions, not excuses. Also, we have to keep in mind that if we don't bring the data back, the customer is going to lose money if pro/company , or memories or everything he means valuable.
It's not MY problem if life is expensive here or there, hard disks are just a cheap medium when empty but some ghost magnetic fields recorded on a platter can make a GREAT difference according to who or what data belongs to.
Sorry for being a little rude, but if we're talking about CHARGES we're talking about business, and business is a serious topic, if we're talking about charity and spending a little time to fix in just a few clicks of a mouse a minimal problem in a friend's disk, this is a completely different thing.
Regards !