All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seagate ST3750640A SMART error Spin retry count. SMART reset
PostPosted: July 13th, 2008, 14:19 

Hello

i have this hd model

ST3750640A

with firmware 3.AAE

The problem is that last week my system suffered of a power loss so when the drive was spinning up the system suddently turned off. Now in the smart data there is a wrong value in "SPIN RETRY COUNT". Now the moderboard bios with smart enabled continues to tell me that there is an hard disk problem and even windows vista periodically tells me of an hard disk issue.

Is there a way to reset SPIN RETRY COUNT value?

Thank you very much :)

Post subject: Re: Seagate ST3750640A SMART error Spin retry count. SMART reset
PostPosted: July 13th, 2008, 14:46 

Not with free tools or anything downloaded from the internet, it's deep inside the drive. If your drive is ok for the rest, disable monitoring and leave that way (you won't get warnings!) otherwise ask a pro. I can reset the smart data with dedicated equipment.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2008, 15:15 

BlackST wrote:
Not with free tools or anything downloaded from the internet, it's deep inside the drive. If your drive is ok for the rest, disable monitoring and leave that way (you won't get warnings!) otherwise ask a pro. I can reset the smart data with dedicated equipment.

First, thank you for your answer. :)

But.....what about HDD repair 1.1 or 2.0? I heard about these softwares googling. Can HDD repair 2.0 reset smart of newer Seagate PATA drives? Where i can download it?
What about other solutions? What you mean with "dedicated equipment? Hardware or software? Does exist a only sofware solution (not free) that can reset smart values?

Thank you again :)

PostPosted: July 13th, 2008, 16:03 

Unfortunately no. Don't know if these software(s) are free, anyway it's not a one-click solution : you have to deal with a software module, and also you need to know what you are doing.
Anyway if the rest of the drive is OK you can disable smart monitoring and go on forever.
Don't know your location , but maybe in this forum there's someone (a pro) who can for a reasonable price make a checkup and restore the SMART parameters.
I use dedicated combo HW / SW equipment, and some solutions developed by myself in-house (i.e. for Samsung and Toshiba drives). I also make R&D on HDD service - more involving the drive electronics than the software inside.

RGDS.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2008, 16:07 

Unfortunately no. Don't know if these software(s) are free, anyway it's not a one-click solution : you have to deal with a software module, and also you need to know what you are doing.
Anyway if the rest of the drive is OK you can disable smart monitoring and go on forever.
Don't know your location , but maybe in this forum there's someone (a pro) who can for a reasonable price make a checkup and restore the SMART parameters.
I use dedicated combo HW / SW equipment, and some solutions developed by myself in-house (i.e. for Samsung and Toshiba drives). I also make R&D on HDD service - more involving the drive electronics than the software inside.

RGDS.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2008, 16:27 

Ok i've just activated an RMA through Seagate homesite! It's a shame that costs time to send back the drive, i had preferred to reset smart on my own, but now is done; it' s better to do that after all!

I thank you again, but i have a last question: Perhaps the drive broke even for high temperatures: Here is very hot with 30 celusis ambient temperature. The hard drive temperature sensor detects 53 celsius in idle and 60 celsius under load. Should i cool drive better?

Thank you :)

PostPosted: July 13th, 2008, 16:33 

Venturer wrote:
Ok i've just activated an RMA through Seagate homesite! It's a shame that costs time to send back the drive, i had preferred to reset smart on my own, but now is done; it' s better to do that after all!

I thank you again, but i have a last question: Perhaps the drive broke even for high temperatures: Here is very hot with 30 celusis ambient temperature. The hard drive temperature sensor detects 53 celsius in idle and 60 celsius under load. Should i cool drive better?

Thank you :)

Hi,

Keeping the drive cool always the good idea. ;)

But RMA this device caused by this error is bad idea!
You can easily get back worst quality refurbished or recertified drive, with bigger original problem... :(

Regards,
Janos

PostPosted: July 13th, 2008, 17:43 

Janos is right about getting a refurbished drive in return.

1) Safely delete your data before you ship the drive. This means SECURITY ERASE.
2) about cooling drives : a normal operating temperature could be below 40-42 degrees C, lower is better. If possible and in applications where the drive is constantly on, a 8x8 cm. fan can efficiently sink the heat. Anyway I have made experiments on 250GB Samsung working at about 60 degrees C for long time and nothing happened, same for Maxtor. Don't know if long-term exposure to limit conditions could lead to premature failure.
An old samsung SV on the contrary when the temp. reached 45 deg C started developing read errors (click! click!) , maybe due to thermal dilatation / MR related problems, cooling the drive everything turned back to normal.

P.S. overheating could also trigger a SMART alert, non user-resettable.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2008, 17:46 

Janos is right about getting a refurbished drive in return.

1) Safely delete your data before you ship the drive. This means SECURITY ERASE.
2) about cooling drives : a normal operating temperature could be below 40-42 degrees C, lower is better. If possible and in applications where the drive is constantly on, a 8x8 cm. fan can efficiently sink the heat. Anyway I have made experiments on 250GB Samsung working at about 60 degrees C for long time and nothing happened, same for Maxtor. Don't know if long-term exposure to limit conditions could lead to premature failure.
An old samsung SV on the contrary when the temp. reached 45 deg C started developing read errors (click! click!) , maybe due to thermal dilatation / MR related problems, cooling the drive everything turned back to normal.

P.S. overheating could also trigger a SMART alert, non user-resettable.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2008, 17:49 

Sorry duplicated entry... @admin , please delete duplicate post. thank you.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2008, 19:15 

BlackST wrote:

RGDS.

This could be read by visitors to the forum, or via a search engine. Its better not to enable smart from the bios, at least thats how i read it.

@Venturer and others, for cooloing if you pc is in a static location. And if you can move the drives outside of the pc case, and extended 80core cables. You could put them in a drive rack or build one (making sure any metal parts do not touch the circuit board).

I have build a simple one as a test out of wood, with countersunk screws with a wide base. Even without a fan they stay cool, a lot cooler than in a AT case. If hot a little 9" or 12" quiet fan blowing on, and through the drive rack would be enough to keep all the drives cool. I did try the other options first AT case fans, fans directed onto hds. The AT cases are not well designed for airflow or for having hot drives inside. Drives that are sandwiched together on top of each other. Biggest failure of drives apart from bad manufactoring componments is heat. Heat is a killer to drives.

I might buy a cd rack that hasn't the central spaces cut out. Chop the rack down to size, and cut the central space to suit hard drive ledges. I haven't yet used any drive mounting screws on the wooden test rack. It is out of the way and never touched. Is there a good reason to screw drives down firmly, if they are out of harms way, and never moved ?

PostPosted: July 18th, 2008, 0:51 

Bnice, your posts are scanned by google too...
1) smart is useful so ON THE CONTRARY should be active
2) hdds have to be FIRMLY fixed to avoid shock and the metal also acts as heat sink. 4 screws at least not 2! So all drive manufacturers recommend, except you. Tell me why I haven't killed a single drive adopting all the recommendations without building wood racks and so on. Please use some common sense.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2008, 16:36 

The smart setting in the pc bios, set it to yes, active or on, is the smart thing to do. It can warn you of impeding danger of hard drive problems and failure. Besides giving you helpful diagnosis of the hard drive ;)

PostPosted: July 19th, 2008, 16:36 

I was playing around with drives that don't matter, just old ones. Just to see in a stack configuration, out of the pc. With and without a fan blowing on them how much difference it makes. It really did make a difference, with at least of drive space gap between each drive. I tested them on a solid surface in a wooden stand, now dismantled, with initial test complete. I was going to rebuild into a new design, but decided a other matterials at last minute. Screws to clamp the drive i agree is for vibration and movement to keep the drive still as possible. Though if the drives were never to be moved or touched. But yes what when the drive gets very busy, it can vibrate itself. Your correct four screws are needed.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2008, 1:00 

Not only, the case acts as heat sink. Also it is for ground connection (noise, EMC)

PostPosted: July 20th, 2008, 17:06 

Connecting an earth sink to the stand is planned. Tapping it onto pc psu, or other ground.