All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Tutorial: resolve 0 LBA,SEAGATE 7200.11 BIOS don't recognize
PostPosted: January 19th, 2009, 6:30 

Location: Zagreb,Hrvatska popravljam diskove "bussy,0LBA" http://www.hddrepair.dzaba.com/
FINAL WARNING: Please do NOT try this if you have valuable data on your drive. Do not blame anyone if something goes wrong. You do it at your own risk. Remember that if something goes wrong, it is extremely unlikely that anyone will be able to help you remotely. One wrong command via terminal could easily result in a completely bricked HDD (I really do mean bricked = no one will be able to recover it, even Seagate).

Added by admin.

This tutorial is not for unexperienced users!!! Do NOT POWER OFF YOUR hdd,comp, during it, (EXCEPT IF I SAY SO)and you just to be shure connect your comp to UPS.

Great thanks goes to http://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic1198189.html who pointed me to
http://yura.projektas.lt/files/seagate/720011_ES2.html witch published commands from this motion picture http://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic1165039.html

This is my original link but i must edit it and enter complete information.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=hr&q=0+ ... ivanje&lr=
just enter in google 0 LBA

First you must have to build serial rs232 converter to TX,RX GND, you can use any data cabel from your cell phone,like i do, from siemens 35 series custom build data cable buid on this picture with max232. Be shure that you put zener diode 2V7 at the picture..Because you could burn your Tx,Rx, on HDD-s PCB.

So, when you build,get your adapter, connect it to this pins on Seagete drive.
[ '''''''''''''''| |''''''''' ] [ .. ..] ----> Rx .. Tx
You do not need to connect SERIAL-ATA CABEL
open hyper terminal or another type of terminal select Serial port example "COM1"
set bitrate to 38400bps
data bits 8
parity N
stop bits 1

it's default settings except bps.
plug power to disk and after that you will see on terminal something like this:

PART 1

Rst 0x10M
hit Ctrl + Z to get "prompt"
F3 T>

now, if your BIOS recognize disk but there is 0 LBA,0 capacity

all you need is to hit this command:

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 Enter

!!!IMPORTANT, dont turn hdd power off, or comp off, wait about 30 sec to 2 minutes until it finished!!!

then you see something like this.

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8 Max retries Wr = 00, Max Rd retries = 00, Max T-ECC Level = 14, Max certify Rewrite retries = 00C8
User Partition Format 10% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs User Partition Format 10% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs User Partition Successful Format - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

After that hit

F3 T>/2
and
F3 2>Z
Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 3.038 msecs

Turn off power from your HDD, od shutdown your comp.

PART 2

If your HDD 7200.11 is not recognize by BIOS,

and after you connect him to COM1 and turn on power if you have this response for any command like:

Rst 0x10M
LED:000000CC FAddr:0025BF67
Ctrl + Z
F3 T>
LED:000000CC FAddr:0025BF67
your drive is bussy!

power off your Hdd
slightly unscrew one screw near to motor connection to PCB and put plastic visit card! or you can remove PCB.
Effect is the same..
power on your hdd,

Ctrl +Z

F3 T>/2
F3 2>
F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.138 msecs
F3 2>

now you put PCB back,or pull visitcard
enter this
F3 2>U
Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 7.242 secs
F3 2>

F3 T>/1
F3 1>N1
this is a S.M.A.R.T. erase

after that POWER off HDD, it means that you plug off power to hdd,
power on hdd,
reenter
CTRL+Z on terminal
F3 T>i4,1,22
this is G-list erase

after that POWER off HDD, it means that you plug off power to hdd,
reenter
CTRL+Z on terminal
F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 Enter

!!!IMPORTANT, dont turn hdd power off, or comp off, wait about 30 sec to 2 minutes until it finished!!!

then you see something like this.

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8 Max retries Wr = 00, Max Rd retries = 00, Max T-ECC Level = 14, Max certify Rewrite retries = 00C8
User Partition Format 10% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs User Partition Format 10% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs User Partition Successful Format - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

After that hit

F3 T>/2
and
F3 2>Z
Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 3.038 msecs

Turn off power from your HDD, od shutdown your comp.

Thats All!

Special thanks once again to

Nirvanowiec

and his source with correct commands Yura
http://74.125.77.113/translate_c?hl=hr& ... UJLI_CNavA

And, i try i successfully recover 0 LBA on Sathurday,
here is a link who successfully recover BIOS recognition
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?sho ... 28807&st=0

Thanks to all! AND maysoft who let me repost original thread.
If you have any comment please say if it works.!

Attachments:
serial_966.jpg
serial_966.jpg [ 58.81 KiB | Viewed 331220 times ]

Post subject: Re: Tutorial: resolve 0 LBA,SEAGATE 7200.11 BIOS don't recognize
PostPosted: January 19th, 2009, 7:06 

Very nice interesting post, but as you mentioned it is not for inexperienced users. This means that unless done by a professional who understands the operations of the terminal commands entered, and who is aware of all possible outcomes of a right and/or wrong command, and who can accurately diagnose this fault correctly, then data is still at risk. Also, following this fix, there is still the possibility of additional problems, surface errors etc.

This is perfect for the newbie who does not need data, but in any case where data is important, a Pro should always be consulted.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2009, 7:10 

Admin, delete this too, please. And don't post anymore.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2009, 8:26 

This is a public forum - the place to seek help and provide help, not just advertising place to say send your stuffed drive to professional. I don't think admin should delete this post. Thank you gsustek. It will be fun to try that out.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2009, 8:31 

trunk2252 wrote:
It will be fun to try that out.

It will be fun? Not sure it will be so fun when us DR guys are picking up the pieces of a newbie DIY experiment!!

Even though there does seem to be a detiled guide, it is no comparison to experience and if data is important, then should not be attempted by anyone other than an experienced and established DR engineer.

Maybe we should start a thread to document just how much data loss has occured because of freely available information like this!

DIY = Data loss
Send to a Pro = Data

Simple :D

PostPosted: January 19th, 2009, 8:40 

Of course if data is important no one will try, we will look for professionals, but it would be interesting to see how things are done, if data is not important then it will be a good fun to try just for a challange. Good on you gsustek, you did it, we like your kinda attitude here in this forum.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2009, 8:45 

As I just mentioned, attempting to do this yourself will likely result in data loss unless you are absolutely certain about what you are doing. This 'Kinda Attitude' will only encourage users to attempt themselves, make the situation much worse, and then recovery will be much harder, and recovery cost much higher.

BlackST is right in requesting this be removed, but not for fear of loosing custom because the existence of this post will ultimately result in more custom.

I can download DIY guides for just about anything, but that does not mean I will go out anytime soon and perform open heart surgery 'because i read it in a forum'.

Your drive, your data, your choice.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2009, 8:51 

Location: Zagreb,Hrvatska popravljam diskove "bussy,0LBA" http://www.hddrepair.dzaba.com/
3 recover : 0 lost

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?sho ... 8807&st=40
:=)

PostPosted: January 19th, 2009, 8:52 

hddguy wrote:
trunk2252 wrote:
It will be fun to try that out.

It will be fun? Not sure it will be so fun when us DR guys are picking up the pieces of a newbie DIY experiment!!

Even though there does seem to be a detiled guide, it is no comparison to experience and if data is important, then should not be attempted by anyone other than an experienced and established DR engineer.

Maybe we should start a thread to document just how much data loss has occured because of freely available information like this!

DIY = Data loss
Send to a Pro = Data

Simple :D
The warnings are clear enough so if anybody wants to try this at home then let them!
To keep on with the 'only for a pro' attitude kind of stinks in my opinion.
Look just because people have Salvation or Ace tools dosn't make them a pro as anybody can get there hands on them.
It seems to me there are a lot of recovery techs and companies who just don't like a trade secret to escape into the wild as breaks their little cartel.
And with the number of these failing drives in circulation it can only be a good thing that some financially poor owner has at least a chance to get their data back without having to cough up the big $$$$$$.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2009, 8:55 

3 is not a very positive number. Ask any DR guy here the total number of recovered 7200.11 we have got. I donn expect it will be long before someone is here asking for help because of a wrong command in terminal.....

I respect your efforts, and I expect it was done with the right intentions, but believe me, it is bad news. Any good DR engineer can tell you many many stories of DIY fixes without such a happy ending.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2009, 9:06 

this thread wont make much difference. Except a few angry people when their data goes bye bye. I have personally seen more seized spindles than firmware faults with these drives. I'd like to see some nobhead post a tutorial for that :lol:

PostPosted: January 19th, 2009, 9:16 

I just did this on a Maxtor DiamondMax 22 500GB with MX15 firmware (same as SD15 on the Seagate brand).

Success!
Many thanks to Gradius and fatlip for posting this solution!

The Seagate serial checker shows my drive as unaffected, but it had "LED:000000CC FAddr:0024A051" error.

Just one comment: make sure you use correct upper/lower case letters for the commands.

I did "z" instead of "Z" and got
"Error 1008 DETSEC 00005006 R/W Status 2 R/W Error C4090081
Next User PLP CHW 000001.0.0108
Remaining Transfer Length 00000000"

seems OK though.

same forum
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?sho ... 8807&st=40

4 : 0 :)

PostPosted: January 19th, 2009, 10:44 

Quote:
I did "z" instead of "Z"

This is because the two are two distinct commands. Upper and lower case are critical.
The commands also have a different function depending upon which mode you are in.

Fortunately for you 'z' is not destructive without the correct paramaters
z is SATA DEBUG command and consists of command, sub-command and three parameters. OR
In another mode it is Write Wedge command and is destructive!

The term lucky comes to mind and so does sloppy !!

I think this thread is not going to really help anyone, all it is going to take is for some idiot to post a load of destructive commands which will leave potentially recoverable drives permanently bricked..

By all means post it all over the internet, but there are other reasons we are concerned about this than DIY data recovery. If people that cant afford DR want their data back, then Seagate will do it for them.

<itch>

https://www.mjm.co.uk/

PostPosted: January 19th, 2009, 11:06 

shame they ripped of Salvage Data And Acelab.. Didn't work it out they just stole it

PostPosted: January 19th, 2009, 11:31 

Ok, GAME OVER
Quote:
Well, how about that. Seagate has acknowledged the bricking issue surrounding Barracuda 7200.11 hard drives, and it's trying to make things right by offering a firmware fix and data recovery services. Here's the full statement we received from company spokesman Mike Hall:

Seagate has isolated a potential firmware issue in certain products, including some Barracuda 7200.11 hard drives and related drive families based on this product platform, manufactured through December 2008. In some circumstances, the data on the hard drives may become inaccessible to the user when the host system is powered on*.

As part of our commitment to customer satisfaction, we are offering a free firmware upgrade to those with affected products. To determine whether your product is affected, please visit the Seagate Support web site at http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/s ... cId=207931.

Support is also available through Seagate's call center: 1-800-SEAGATE (1 800 732-4283)

Customers can expedite assistance by sending an email to Seagate (discsupport@seagate.com). Please include the following disk drive information: model number, serial number and current firmware revision. We will respond, promptly, to your email request with appropriate instructions. There is no data loss associated with this issue, and the data still resides on the drive. But if you are unable to access your data due to this issue, Seagate will provide free data recovery services. Seagate will work with you to expedite a remedy to minimize any disruption to you or your business.

For a list of international telephone numbers to Seagate Support and alternative methods of contact, please access http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/about/contact_us/

*There is no safety issue with these products.

The free data recovery for already-bricked hard drives seems like a nice touch, especially considering the cost of third-party services. According to the knowledge base entry, though, the issue may affect a fairly large number of drive models—not just the 1TB four-platter drive we talked about earlier this week. Seagate recommends that users with 1.5TB, 750GB, 640GB, 500GB, 320GB, and 160GB Barracuda 7200.11 drives, along with some Maxtor and ES.2 models, all install the firmware update.

Update: Seagate has amended its statement to remove the following sentence: "Retail products potentially affected include the Seagate FreeAgent® Desk and Maxtor OneTouch® 4 storage solutions." We've put up the new statement above.

Taken from http://techreport.com/discussions.x/16246

PostPosted: January 19th, 2009, 11:36 

According to the info I've got via PM, this information is:

* not illegal
* fits the HDD Guru forums main topic
* not stolen/grabbed from PC3000 or SD or other sources (one guy spent his time, found out a fix, and then made it public)
* already available all over the internet

Then what is the real problem one would ask?

I really do not think that we should or even can prevent the information like this to spread out. We, the data recovery industry, cannot and should not police the internet and kill information by all means. If someone's business really depends on information like this that much, then it is definitely some very flawed kind of business.

What we can do is add a honest warning where we can (I have just added a warning to the initial post).

I can clearly see two main concerns raised by the DR community:

1) Home users will kill their drives
They have been warned. There is no one to blame; let us let people do their own mistakes. Anyway, why do we care that much about someone's mistakes?

2) Data recovery businesses will get less customers
I honestly don't think that computer geeks are our customers. I would be surprised if information like this actually decreases the number of actual DR jobs by more than 0.1%.

There is a possibility though that some Joe reads this, immediately starts a DR business and then blindly goes ahead and applies this fix to all customer's drives. This is the real issue, but again this is not our problem (we can prevent this to some extent but definitely not in case like this). The same happens in just about every other industry and no one really cares (besides the end consumers of that industry).

PS. Seagate now offers free data recovery for these drives.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2009, 11:37 

Bad news for us, but Seagate need to try and maintain their integrity following the bad batch of drives. Already you can see that many people have lost confidence in Seagate, just from this forum!

Personally I think that s**t happens, and this is one of them times. I never saw Maxtor recall all the Slimline models due to the N40P/Athena etc fault, or Fujitsu never offered free DR on the old MPG series of drives, or WD offering data recovery bacause of a common fault with bad heads.

Anyone know how good/bad the 7200.12 drives are yet? :lol:

PostPosted: January 19th, 2009, 13:15 

hddguy wrote:
Anyone know how good/bad the 7200.12 drives are yet? :lol:

According to Seagate all drives which were produced after December 2008 have fixed firmware
I guess we are going to find that out

Our statistics show most of the drives with "fly CC" and "LBA 0" problems were Moose drives, quite a few Brinks drives and no Garbo drives yet. Looks like Seagate engineers did their work silently all that time

PostPosted: January 19th, 2009, 13:22 

Quote:
Seagate now offers free data recovery for these drives.

Is it *exact* that "SEAGATE WILL RECOVER ALL YOUR DATA FOR FREE, IF IT'S ANY 7200.11 NOT DETECTING IN BIOS, OR DETECTING WITH 0 L.B.A."?

There are too many complications I see in this case. How can Seagate tell, if it's "this" perticular problem? A customer can get a broken head/scratched platter/seized motor/other F.W. issue, he got no detection in BIOS and may end up bugging Seagate for it?

On the contrary, Seagate may deny the free recovery by saying, "It's not that typcial fault, it's broken head/scratched platter/bla bla" and cheated customer to not to do it for free.

I really cannot simplify it.....

Doomer, I would like to hear your voice here as a person of Seagate Recovery Services. Is this "Free Recovery" true? If yes, at what extent? Have you started recieving the drives for the Free job?

PostPosted: January 19th, 2009, 13:29 

I believe there is a software you can download fom seagates support site which will allow to detect your model and if it falls under the correct catogory based on serial number, it will allow for free recovery. Is this right?

I also believe there may be some complications with this. Maybe I should send all my 7200.11 drives to them, get them to do the work, and pass on the data :lol:

:wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next