All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: disk resized from 120gb to 60gb after cloning with acronis
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2007, 5:06 

hi there

i made a cloning with acronis and everything worked will. only the the fact that i have now on my new 120gb-harddisk only 60gb left. as well as the bios as also mhdd shows 58gb. how may i solve that with mhdd?

rgds urs

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2007, 5:52 

an addition to my problem. in mhdd i see the available lba is 114'270'345 what is eaual to the 58gb. but if i start config i can set as maximum lba of 234'441'648 what is equal to the 120gb. unfortunately i get an device error when i go through the config-process.

rgds urs

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2007, 12:56 

I had this also happen as this other guy too
http://forum.hddguru.com/shot-myself-in ... t6750.html

I've tried Mhdd,but that doesn't uncut the NHPA.
I've tried HDAT2,but that doesn't work either.
It does however show that the drive is hiding 60 gigs of space in the HPA. Which is why the 100 gig hd shows as 40 gig. I also used acronis to image a 40 gig to a 100.

Do you happen to have a dell laptop with the directmedia button on your lappy? I've notice after googling that people that have dells with this particular feature run into the same problem.

My theory is somehow when you image the original drive,the hpa gets imaged over. It has been said that HPA doesn't get transfer do to it being hidden. I'm thinking it does though.
It's either being imaged over and then when you put that harddrive back into the computer,the hpa see the unallocated space an takes it.
Either that or somehow the firmware is getting rewritten on the drive?

Thus you harddrive is stuck at whatever the original size of the image.

Normally when you image a hd,you're able to add the unallocated space to your main parition. Thus giving you the full size.

I thinking it's a combo of Imaging,HPA and the way Dell sets up the partition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2007, 23:34 

I think I had the exact same situation happen to me.

I was trying to image/clone 1 partition, out of 4, from a 100 GB drive to a smaller 60 GB drive. I used an older software package called EZ Gig II by Apricorn, which I believe is just a version of Acronis software.

The 100 GB drive was not a factory drive from Dell (laptop is Dell Inspiron E1705) so does not have MediaDirect on it. But 60 GB hard drive was the original factory drive. 100 GB = Seagate 7200.1 Momentus. 60 GB = Toshiba 5400 rpm.

The 100 GB drive was in the laptop. The 60 GB drive was connected via external USB. I booted off the EZ Gig II CD. The CD booted and tried to load, but said that both drives had to be internal.

Fair enough. It was worth a try. I reboot computer and get BSOD error. What the hell!

In the BIOS, the drive now shows as 60 GB, when it was/is a 100 GB drive. It looks like the exact LBA settings from the 60 GB drive were transferred to the 100 GB drive, so now the 100 GB is a 60 GB as far as the BIOS and OS are concerned.

I was able to recover all data up to 60 GB using data recovery tools, but not between 60 GB and 100 GB. There is still some data on this section that I need.

I used the commands "config" and "NHPA" in the wonderful package MHDD, but neither command works. MHDD does see the maximum LBA address as 195317567 (100 GB), but is unable to reset it from the smaller size of 114270346 (60 GB).

I know this LBA setting is stored on the drive itself. Why can't MHDD reset it? I don't believe there is anything wrong with the heads or platters. But when the LBA is set to 60 GB, no software is able to read past this limit. I know my data is just sitting there perfectly fine.

BigD

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2007, 20:41 

Update:

I used the equally cool software package HDAT2 to set the LBA mode from 48 bit to 28 bit and suddenly the drive showed as 100 GB and I was able to recover all my data with Runtime Software's GetDataBack (also great software).

See the relevant section in the HDAT2 FAQ: http://www.hdat2.com/hdat2_faq.html

Also see the note at the bottom of this page: http://www.drivesolutions.com/cgi-bin/shop/bstore.cgi?command=listitems&kind=accessory&pos=&type=itemid&itemid=a8

At this point I don't know if it's a Seagate problem or an Acronis problem or a Dell MediaDirect HPA problem or a combination. My best guess is that Acronis software messed up the LBA setting and Seagate wasn't allowing software such as MHDD or HDAT2 to reset the LBA properly. Changing the LBA Mode to 28 bit solved the problem for me.

BigD

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2007, 1:31 

Thanks for the update.
I'm going to try this also and let you know the results.

Here some info on HPA 28/48. It mentions seagate hd also.
Which is weird cause I used 2 seagate 100 gig hds
Quote:
Q: Host Protected Area (HPA) vs. 28/48-bit LBA mode

A: There is a problem of incompatibility on some hard drives (e.g. Seagate) when you are using 48-bit command for removing Host Protected Area (HPA) created with 28-bit command.
48-bit command cannot remove HPA created with 28-bit command and vice-versa. Following solution is for disk supports 48-bit LBA mode only and if you have HPA greater than 127 GB.
Solution:

1. Power-on PC, boot and start HDAT2.
2. In 'SET MAX (HPA) Menu' select 'Set Max Address'. Change 'LBA mode' from 48 to 28-bit LBA mode and press 'S' key to set maximal address for 28-bit LBA mode (127 GB).
3. Power-off PC (Important !), power-on PC, boot and start HDAT2.
4. In 'SET MAX (HPA) Menu' select 'Set Max Address'. Leave the selected 48-bit 'LBA mode' Change 'LBA mode' from 28 to 48-bit LBA mode and press 'S' key to set maximal address for 48-bit LBA mode.
5. After restart you should get the full (native) capacity of hard drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 9th, 2007, 2:07 

BigD wrote:
Update:

I used the equally cool software package HDAT2 to set the LBA mode from 48 bit to 28 bit and suddenly the drive showed as 100 GB and I was able to recover all my data with Runtime Software's GetDataBack (also great software).

BigD

hi bigd (and rest that have the same problem)

big tipp! i did it and have received back my full space. thanks for the help! here the linke for the great software:

http://www.hdat2.com/download.html

rgds udu

ps i love forums and user that help each others ;-)

Post subject: Re: disk resized from 120gb to 60gb after cloning with acronis
PostPosted: January 28th, 2009, 6:22 

I had Same Issue!!! Thanks Guys for the Info... Acronis can be a crappy program at times!!!! I ran The Program HDAT2 and then just choose Max Size. It keep the LBA at 48 Bit. I would think that would be better than 28 bit.

Thanks for the answers :)

PostPosted: April 8th, 2009, 6:29 

Thanks everyone! This thread helped me get my fully drive capacity back on a Maxtor (Seagate?) HDD :D

Let me explain how I stuffed up and what I eventually did to put things right in a bit of detail, as the extra info might help someone?

1. I had tried to replace the duff Maxtor 200 GB ATA/133 HDD (with severe head probs) in a Maxtor "1-Touch" case with a band new Maxtor STM332060A 320 GB PATA drive.

2. I connected the "1-Touch" case to a PC running XP MCE via USB and it maide all sorts of funny noises, so I quickly shut down, removed the drive and connected it directly via IDE cable as the only drive.

3. After booting the PC with Partition Commander CD, the drive mis-reported its capacity as 131071 MB.

4. I tried using SeaTools Desktop v3.0 (2 floppies) and SeaTools for DOS v2.136 (1 floppy) but neither could set the capacity of the drive back to native maximum. It seems that Maxtor drives are perhaps really OEM'd Seagate?

5, I then tried lots of methods to try and get the proper capacity back, including zeroing out LBA-3 using Roadkil's Sector Editor, then trying to reset the Native Max Capacity back to what it should be with various DOS boot CD tools, including the Hiitachi Feature Tool v2.13 and the HDDGURU Magic Boot Disk v2.0, but nothing would let me change it, the command always failed.

4. After finding this thread and trying HDAT2 v4.53 booted from CD, with the info in this thread, I finally managed to set the capacity right using the 48/28 bit LBA trick. When first viewed, its seems that the drive was reporting it had a 48-bit LBA but was acting as having a 28-bit one. When I first tried to change the LBA to 28-bit, the command failed, so I experimented with other stuff including using F7 Restore all on the 48-bit Address feature set.

5. After powering down and restarting HDAT2, I could successfully change the LBA to 28-bit from the Set Max Address item using L to set LBA mode.

6. After rebooting again, HDAT2 now shows the correct drive capacity of 320.07 GB in Device Infformation and under Set Max Address screen, even though it is properly using 48-bits LBA mode, not the the 28-bit set prior to the reboot. So now the problem has been resolved and both the Native area and User area have 625142448 sectors as it should be.

Thanks again for putting me on the right track!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2009, 19:23 

I had the same problem and followed the steps of changing 28bit/48bit trick. Somehow I used the permanent option when changing 48bit to 28bit. Now I can't change maximum address from 128 GB to 500GB. Is there any way to change it back? Or it's going to be permanent? Thanks a lot. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Jeet wrote:
Thanks for the update.
I'm going to try this also and let you know the results.

Here some info on HPA 28/48. It mentions seagate hd also.
Which is weird cause I used 2 seagate 100 gig hds
Quote:
Q: Host Protected Area (HPA) vs. 28/48-bit LBA mode

A: There is a problem of incompatibility on some hard drives (e.g. Seagate) when you are using 48-bit command for removing Host Protected Area (HPA) created with 28-bit command.
48-bit command cannot remove HPA created with 28-bit command and vice-versa. Following solution is for disk supports 48-bit LBA mode only and if you have HPA greater than 127 GB.
Solution:

1. Power-on PC, boot and start HDAT2.
2. In 'SET MAX (HPA) Menu' select 'Set Max Address'. Change 'LBA mode' from 48 to 28-bit LBA mode and press 'S' key to set maximal address for 28-bit LBA mode (127 GB).
3. Power-off PC (Important !), power-on PC, boot and start HDAT2.
4. In 'SET MAX (HPA) Menu' select 'Set Max Address'. Leave the selected 48-bit 'LBA mode' Change 'LBA mode' from 28 to 48-bit LBA mode and press 'S' key to set maximal address for 48-bit LBA mode.
5. After restart you should get the full (native) capacity of hard drive.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2010, 1:53 

Everyone,
Follow the advice of RichUK to the tee, exactly as is. This should work.
I spent over 30 hours trying to recover my 320 gigs from showing up as 78 gigs.
I dloaded at least 2gb of different software, gave everything a shot, nothing worked.
HDAT2 was the only thing that saved the day for me.
I'll give you a brief outline of what happened -
1. I upgraded my HDD from a 80 gigs to a 320 gigs on a Dell Inspiron E1505.
2. Used Norton Ghost to restore the ghost hidden images to restore XP MCE from Dell's Hidden Recovery Partition.
(Actually this step itself took me more than 6 hours - I had Norton Ghost 2003 Build 793 BootCD, but it refused to recognise the images, since they were prepared using Norton Ghost 10. I finally used Norton Ghost Solution Suite 2.5 and prepared a USB Boot Drive which restored the images like a breeze. NOTE HERE : After restoring the images to a new partition on the new HDD, if you try and restart XP, it will give you a HAL.DLL error. That's becoz' the SID identifiers in the image and that of your HDD are different. Use Ghost Walker on the same boot CD to change the SID and voila, XP MCE boots like a charm !!!)
3. Now, the issue was I also wanted to transfer all my stuff from the old HDD to the new one. I connected it using a USB Casing, started copying, and deleted all the Windows and Program Files folders on the old HDD (since I wanted to use the old disk as external backup now). And rebooted the computer.
4. This is where everything practically went to tethers :cry:
5. My boot order was set to boot from USB, CD and then Internal HDD. The laptop tried to boot from the old HDD. I realised this and immediately shut the computer down. (HUGE MISTAKE !!!). My worst nightmare came true.
6. The next time it booted, I got an error of UNACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE and a BSOD. All solutions on the net pointed out, I should use Recovery Console from a Windows CD and do a "FixMBR" sort of stuff. My biggest problem here was, my internal CD-ROM Drive on my Inspiron doesn't work !!! I have an external USB CD-ROM Drive, but the laptop just completely refuses to boot from it - since it's not detected by the older Inspiron E1505 BIOS. I was completely frustrated by this point in time.
7. Also, I knew the above method would most likely not work, since after you enter the Recovery Console, it will ask you for an Administrator Password, which is what Dell sets it and I don't have it.
8. The biggest problem was not the above error for me, but the fact that I had a huge 200 gigs partition on this new drive wherein I had just finished consolidating all my data for the past few years - and the drive when removed from the laptop and connected to a different PC was just showing up as a 78GB HDD (even in BIOS now). I kind of knew that it's only the MBR and Partition Table which have fried - but my efforts in recovering this was becoming a pain.
9. Over the next 18 hours, I tried using Knoppix, QTParted, Partition Magic, GParted Live, Seagate SeaTools, MHDD, Magic Boot Disk and tons of various utilities, all in vain - nothing would detect the HDD to be more than 78GB.
10. Finally I found and installed "Partition Wizard Home Edition" and connected the new HDD to it using USB. It ran for a few hours and recovered my Boot partition (which was a 97.65 gigs (the new XP MCE which had booted so well a few hours ago).
11. Still a bottleneck - becoz' I now had a 97.65 GB partition on a HDD which was being detected by everything I know to be only a 78 GB HDD. Windows was mounting this recovered partition as a NTFS partition showing me the C drive of the brand new setup (which was kind of useless to me, since I wanted all the data of the D drive).
12. Then scrambled and searched through the forums, and found HDAT2. Downloaded the ISO, burned it to a USB disk, booted, but it wouldn't go through searching for USB devices and would perpetually hang up. Please note, I know USB Mass Storage support is anyway broken in most of the programs above, so I had re-connected my new HDD to my laptop (which was not really an issue since it was now booting as a 78 GB disk with a 97.65 GB WinXP boot partition like a charm). Anyway, I booted using the HDAT2 I downloaded, but it wouldn't go past the booting process, and if it did, wouldn't detect my HDD at all.
13. Finally, I downloaded Hiren's BootCD 10.2 since I was aware it had this utility on it. Copied the ISO over to my USB (I was using a MultiBootISOs-v0.7 installer all this while on my 8GB pen-drive for those interested - it's the most outstanding tool I have ever seen !!!), and booted using the HDAT2 from HBCD. It booted like a charm, detected my HDD, showed that the actual max capacity was 320 GB, but wouldn't set it to that (erroring out saying some weird stuff).
14. It is at this step, that I did exactly as RichUK pointed out !!! Set the LBA to "28 bits", go back and come again and try to set it back to "48 bits". It will error out saying 2 back to back non-volatile commands issued. So I went back, rebooted and re-loaded HDAT2 from the HBCD. This time it allowed me to set the LBA to "48 bits", and HDD capacity showing up as 320 gigs. (I WAS THRILLED AT THIS POINT IN TIME !!!) 8)
15. Finally, saved the changes, rebooted to XP and voila, I had a 320 GB disk showing up in Computer Management with a 200 GB unallocated space (which I certainly knew had all my data).
16. I re-ran Partition Wizard Home Edition and now it showed up my 200 GB Data Partition as Lost/Deleted. I clicked on the check mark next to it (PLEASE remember to CHECK all partitions including the one you are working on - which is C Drive, else it shows up a warning that "Some partitions will be deleted"). Click Apply. Took me a few seconds and voila, I could see my 200 GB partition.
17. Started Computer Management, assigned a drive letter, and I was good to go.
18. This was my tryst - I hope this helps people who get themselves in such a mess (which I sincerely hope people don't attempt to !!!).

PostPosted: January 5th, 2011, 22:17 

Is it possible to just reformat the disk and to use different software to clone the disk? I have win 7 ultimate OS and it can mirror my drive.
Les

Post subject: Re: disk resized from 120gb to 60gb after cloning with acron
PostPosted: September 29th, 2011, 22:02 

Thanks guys, after 2 seagate hardrives and seagate's seatools didn't reset native capacity, even the seagate support team couldn't help. But looky looky here, HDDGURU and hdat2 worked great !

Now does anyone know how to clone the hardrive on a Dell E1505 laptop with the Media Direct button ? I've tried it twice now with EZ-gig software and using a apricorn asw-usb3-25 cable. I have all the dell support and reinstall disks, which partition the drive for media direct, before install the OS.

HEEELLLLLLPPPPPPPPPP

PostPosted: September 30th, 2011, 9:27 

gotme2 wrote:
Now does anyone know how to clone the hardrive on a Dell E1505 laptop with the Media Direct button ?

Check this thread max-lba-set-dell-bootup-can-change-back-t20694.html

PostPosted: January 29th, 2012, 13:35 

Hey Guys, I have used the cloning device EZ Gig IV on my Dell Inspiron 9400 and neglected to hit the Dell Media button and now my 250GB disk is showing up as 100GB. I tried the HDAT2 v4.8.1 program but when I boot from the disk it doesn't map my keyboard correctly and I have no "?" available to me so I can't use the program. I don't get to the editor that is shown in the screen shots, strictly DOS command line stuff. And with a malfunctioned keyboard it makes it impossible to use the program.

Any ideas to get me going along? I'd like to get the full capacity of my drive back.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2012, 18:15 

Use the ALT key and numeric keypad to enter the ASCII code for a particular key.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2012, 20:23 

I was fixing a seagate hard drive with the same problem. I couldn't get it to type the /?. All I got was the +, I then realized that I had to use the <function> key and then it worked. At the prompt I typed in hdat2 and the program loaded. After several tries, I figured out I needed to use the function key to use the <L> & <S> keys. I had called Seagate and the support tech said that my new drive was defective and they would do a warranty replacement. This forum is the BEST!!

Thanks.