All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: My hard drive died on me :( Please help
PostPosted: May 9th, 2009, 17:32 

Quote:
Any reputable place you know in USA?

Sorry, i'm from Portugal - Europe and i don't like to advertise any particullar firm/person but if you ask arround this forum or use the search function you will find out many Data Recovery Firms that are recommended. Many people here from HDDGuru.com work in fact for data recovery firms. And the reputable firms have people looking here also ...
So if you ask nicelly you might even be able to ge a special hddguru discount ... or at least i think so, from anyone near you that can fix your problem.
If not do a google search for data recovery houses near you.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2009, 17:44 

Whereabouts in U.S are you?

If you're prepared to listen to sense, then we're more than happy to help you.

I wish you every luck in recovering your data, but in this particular case you aren't going to be successfull in a DIY case.

Sorry if I appeared arrogant and/or harsh, but the message had to get through. If I thought it was DIY'able I would have told you.

Cheers

New!! HDD-PCB.COM for all your PCB and donor HDD requirements!

PostPosted: May 9th, 2009, 17:57 

pcimage wrote:
Whereabouts in U.S are you?

If you're prepared to listen to sense, then we're more than happy to help you.

I wish you every luck in recovering your data, but in this particular case you aren't going to be successfull in a DIY case.

Sorry if I appeared arrogant and/or harsh, but the message had to get through. If I thought it was DIY'able I would have told you.

Cheers

East coast United states. New Jersey

PostPosted: May 10th, 2009, 6:52 

Would be better to say what you can afford and then if someone want or can do it, will contact you. Beware of 'no data no charge' and 'free evaluation' and bedroom based DR... It's not first time we heard about platters upside down from 'returned drive as customer refused quote' or similar... And every serious DR charge more if the drive has been already opened.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2009, 20:51 

Personally, I'm trying to give up the habit of convincing those to not do self-DR.... It rarely works. All I'll say is that your chances are very slim indeed, and that merely the act of trying will make it difficult, expensive, and even impossible for a professional to recover the data. I'd give your odds of success at 1% or less. Understanding that, if you want to go ahead, make a clean box, match the donor drive as close as possible, watch the youtube videos on swapping heads, practice a great deal , and take your time.

I realize this will likely fall on deaf ears, but here I go again.. The people on here telling you this is hard are not being jerks. They are trying hard to do you a favor, as they realize that you will likely lose your data permanently. It seems even a lot of 'Computer Guys' don't realize how difficult and specialized this field is. We always hear about someone who is really handy, has formatted drives and installed Windows many times for many years, and is just absolutely certain they can recover data as good as a professional, if only someone would tell them the secret, in one sentence or less, how it's done. The best analogy I can offer at the moment is a Doctor. If you ask a Doctor how to do a heart bypass on yourself, they are going to laugh. When they realize you're serious, they will try to talk you out of it, and it won't have anything to do with the business they will lose. They know you'll kill yourself. I know you'll lose your data permanently, but if you're aware of this, I sincerely wish you the best of luck. It's only data, and only you can determine how important it is.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2009, 12:52 

I appreciate your input, I wish it was a little reasonable to me, in that case I would have definitely sent it to a professional. IT IS NOT !.. And then there are people who are asking lesser money, how can I trust one or the other.

You guys in business, you keep telling me I am the best and others are just taking your money and will send you your dead drive.. Tell me about a reputable, and reasonably priced professional and I will send it over to them.

It is not that I am being ignorant and I am ignoring all your warnings, I FULLY UNDERSTAND, how hard it is. I have opened several dead hard drives for the past couple of days and I found out that to be a tedious job and you need tedious hands to make this happen. I give those people FULL CREDIT for doing such things. But it is their living, and if they were a little reasonable, I wouldn't have been here asking you guys questions..

I know it is going to take them 2 hours of work to make this happen and perhaps 100 dollar of parts.. so to rip someone off asking 1500-2500 is just ridiculous. How much do they want to make per hour 750?

I am sorry if I have offended someone and wish you best of luck, but shouldn't you have two costs .. one for corporations who do not care about the cost, and one for regular person like myself...

Anyways, that is why I am trying to mess up my Hard drive... and if I learn it, even if the hard way I will make sure I do this for cheaps for others.

Hamsaya

PostPosted: May 11th, 2009, 13:09 

At least get a clean room ....

PostPosted: May 11th, 2009, 13:09 

You have opened a lot of drives and did you bring back to life any ? (and most of all should we believe you ?) ...
About the hourly cost : if you had to buy $ 100'000 worth of equipment, build a clean room, pay annual support fees, stock parts etc. then your thoughts would be different.
Anyway you are not the first nor you'll be the last that killed his "precious" data , it's data, it's only magnetic domains recorded on a $50 hard disk.
When you will learn, make commercial ads, post on the net, even start your own DR business : the market will judge you for being good or for being a drive killer... who knows? A lot of good luck !

PostPosted: May 11th, 2009, 13:18 

hamsaya wrote:
I know it is going to take them 2 hours of work to make this happen and perhaps 100 dollar of parts.. so to rip someone off asking 1500-2500 is just ridiculous. How much do they want to make per hour 750?

Wawawawait a minute! :)
You forget some little points!
First of all, this is not a "2 hour job", think about the 1TB!
How much time does it take to copy out if the drive is healty?
With exchanged heads, we are proud if it can do some MB/s!
Additionally, the platter is scratched, and we need to sitting next to the drive and watching for any strange behavior before loose the another headstack!
(I will have a box shaped ass, because i am sitting next to one customer-opened 160GB Maxtor wich reads 400Kb/s, and stops in every 1-2 hour and i need to take out the heads again and again for cleaning....)

Additionally, you forget to count in the expensive tools, cleanroom + additionals, wich needs to pays back their price as well sooner or later....

So, please thing again about the price...

Janos

PostPosted: May 11th, 2009, 13:32 

On the notes of "blowing in the wind" ...

How many drives must a man break down
before he will call a DR
and how many posts must we read and write down
before we give up at the end....

The answer my friend,
you need a true DR
The answer is always true DR....

PostPosted: May 11th, 2009, 14:14 

lol

Very good BlackST!!!

New!! HDD-PCB.COM for all your PCB and donor HDD requirements!

PostPosted: May 11th, 2009, 14:24 

Grammy Award... PERIOD :mrgreen:

PostPosted: May 11th, 2009, 20:30 

Hi hamsaya ,

If you know any system that will let you copy 1TB and process that much data in 2 hours, PLEASE let me know. Any US distributors???? I need to buy it!!!!!!!!! I have to have one in my shop...

PostPosted: May 12th, 2009, 0:43 

hddmania wrote:
Hi hamsaya ,

If you know any system that will let you copy 1TB and process that much data in 2 hours, PLEASE let me know. Any US distributors???? I need to buy it!!!!!!!!! I have to have one in my shop...

It is NOT full my friend, however I should say there is 500 GIG of files ... and believe me when I am saying the platter is not scratched so you do not have to swap the head and or clean it from time to time, the reason is when It happened the drive was turned off and it was not spinning when this happened, The shock perhaps moved the head, and as one of you stated it might not even need a head replacement but a head alignment. I did check for the black dust from the side of the hard drive and there was none. I am not going to experiment this heart surgery before I open some other hearts lol...

THANKS !

Hamsaya

PostPosted: May 12th, 2009, 1:02 

BlackST wrote:

before he will call a DR

The answer my friend,
you need a true DR

One of these days your hard disk will start clicking and I will own a solid state...

Knowing what you know does not make you a perfect human being. One of these days you will fall, and you will be needing some one to assist you and I am hopping you find your true DR and they are not acting/behaving like well ... "yourself"!

PostPosted: May 12th, 2009, 1:05 

hddmania wrote:
Hi hamsaya ,

You are right. But is there a possibility, that once the HDD is stable and the heads are either aligned or replaced be sent to me and let me do the back up ??

Thanks
Hamsaya

PostPosted: May 12th, 2009, 1:07 

N.C. wrote:
hamsaya wrote:

Wawawawait a minute! :)
You forget some little points!
First of all, this is not a "2 hour job", think about the 1TB!
How much time does it take to copy out if the drive is healty?
With exchanged heads, we are proud if it can do some MB/s!
Additionally, the platter is scratched, and we need to sitting next to the drive and watching for any strange behavior before loose the another headstack!
(I will have a box shaped ass, because i am sitting next to one customer-opened 160GB Maxtor wich reads 400Kb/s, and stops in every 1-2 hour and i need to take out the heads again and again for cleaning....)

Additionally, you forget to count in the expensive tools, cleanroom + additionals, wich needs to pays back their price as well sooner or later....

So, please thing again about the price...

Janos

You are right, but can't the drive be sent and can't you guys let me do the back up myself. I do not think the HD is scratched, it was turned off when this happened. Perhaps it is not aligned or something...

PostPosted: May 12th, 2009, 1:15 

Spildit wrote:
At least get a clean room ....

After your advices I do consider checking with a professional. I am looking for someone in my area + reasonably priced. I would do that, if I could not find someone to do it for me. I found the matching head, it is made in the same lab, 5 days later, same company, same country, same model, however different firmware version. Higher ..

Thank you so much !

PostPosted: May 12th, 2009, 1:55 

hamsaya wrote:
BlackST wrote:

before he will call a DR

The answer my friend,
you need a true DR

One of these days your hard disk will start clicking and I will own a solid state...

Knowing what you know does not make you a perfect human being. One of these days you will fall, and you will be needing some one to assist you and I am hopping you find your true DR and they are not acting/behaving like well ... "yourself"!

I have learnt that some things can be avoided, other are beyond our possibilities and other need to be paid. I want to remember you that you live in a country which in practical denies healthcare to who cannot pay, a hernia surgery that is FREE here if you pay taxes - NOT AN INSURANCE - it's not less than 10'000$ , and it's 30 minutes (ask someone here)... Should I continue? The maximum you can get probably is a 'HDDGURU DISCOUNT' from valuable pro from here in your area. Use the search function in the members section and send a PM. And get full DR service including copy to a new drive, not only a headswap if never will be possible, since you don't have the necessary tools to override the problems that always come out, maybe including a new headstack if one is not enough.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2009, 2:36 

hamsaya wrote:
One of these days I will own a solid state...

And these are going to be hell to recover from, I'd expect prices to only go up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next