All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My hard drive died on me :( Please help
PostPosted: May 9th, 2009, 15:55 

BlackST wrote:
Sorry no more help from me. However a "good luck" is free. Good luck.

Other than your good luck, you really did not help anyways, still thank you for taking time to tell me good luck.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2009, 16:06 

hamsaya,

I need to go soon outside, but i wish to say some words before i go:
We especially taken a lot of time to think + research for the solution for alignment, and finally solved it with a really expensive special unit wich use a laser measurer head in 0.25 - 0.1 micron precisely.
I don't think you can solve this problem alone.... :(

Anyway, i wish you a good decision, not else what i can do...

Janos

PostPosted: May 9th, 2009, 16:09 

N.C. wrote:
hamsaya,

I need to go soon outside, but i wish to say some words before i go:
We especially taken a lot of time to think + research for the solution for alignment, and finally solved it with a really expensive special unit wich use a laser measurer head in 0.25 - 0.1 micron precisely.
I don't think you can solve this problem alone.... :(

Anyway, i wish you a good decision, not else what i can do...

Janos

Thank you Jason, I need that.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2009, 16:16 

NC, post the construction plans .... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: May 9th, 2009, 16:20 

Why on earth do people think they can do instantly what others have take years of practice and $10,000's to achieve?

Sure, my car's engine has seized, but do I try and fix it myself? Duh!! I think not!

My heads hurts, I think I've got a brain tumour. Surely all I need is the right kitchen knife and I can fix it, right? Just need to know which knife to use and where to stab aimlessly?

Help and advice is given (and has been) free of charge, and because it's not want you wanna hear, you ignore it.

Wake up and smell the coffee!

Sorry to appear so harsh, but this sort of attitude annoys me!

New!! HDD-PCB.COM for all your PCB and donor HDD requirements!

PostPosted: May 9th, 2009, 16:21 

BlackST wrote:
NC, post the construction plans .... :mrgreen:

You do this for living?

PostPosted: May 9th, 2009, 16:25 

No, I live with what I do. It's different !

PostPosted: May 9th, 2009, 16:26 

pcimage wrote:
Why on earth do people think they can do instantly what others have take years of practice and $10,000's to achieve?

Sure, my car's engine has seized, but do I try and fix it myself? Duh!! I think not!

My heads hurts, I think I've got a brain tumour. Surely all I need is the right kitchen knife and I can fix it, right? Just need to know which knife to use and where to stab aimlessly?

Help and advice is given (and has been) free of charge, and because it's not want you wanna hear, you ignore it.

Wake up and smell the coffee!

Sorry to appear so harsh, but this sort of attitude annoys me!

Attitude, I think you are the one with attitude .. People like you should just write a quote how much they charge rather than commenting on this post.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2009, 16:29 

BlackST wrote:
No, I live with what I do. It's different !

I thought you said you will not post anyting on this thread any longer.

I meant living by "not sticking with your words."

PostPosted: May 9th, 2009, 16:38 

I'mm not even going to post on this subject .... lol opsss I just did :oops:

PostPosted: May 9th, 2009, 16:56 

Spildit wrote:
Quote:
I just bought this hard disk, I had 2 back up but they were 80 GIG and 300 GIG, I placed all the files in this new HD. I cleaned up my 80 GIG and wanted to keep an ISO back up of everyting in 300 GIG but before I do that ... this happened...

Ok, if you still have the 300 Gb drive intact you are only missing the 80 Gb one.
How did you cleaned it up and did you re-write things to the drive after deleting/formating ?

If you just format your old drive the data will be there, if you haven't re-written to it.

It will be very cheap to get your data back from the deleted 80 Gb drive, plus the data of your 300 Gb drive you will have all your data back without having to fix the problematic WD drive.

It was formatted after I got the files, My bro removed files from his PC and put them in the 300 gig one .. his files are well over 200 gig, we were trying to put everything on this HD... and then use his PC my PC and the 1 hard drive.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2009, 17:04 

Spildit wrote:
:shock:

He has his files on the other 300 GIG Hard drive I am the only one out of luck. I was the one who had 1 single file in 4 places, and I used to suggest other friends how to back up their files, but well ..

PostPosted: May 9th, 2009, 17:08 

Spildit wrote:
Yes, the data was re-written then. You won't be able to get a full recovery of your data from the 300 Gb drive already re-written.
Your only choice is save some money and send the drive to a reputable DR firm near you.
Otherwise is game over.

Or I should wait till the prices go down haha ... That will never happen ... Any reputable place you know in USA?

PostPosted: May 9th, 2009, 17:44 

Whereabouts in U.S are you?

If you're prepared to listen to sense, then we're more than happy to help you.

I wish you every luck in recovering your data, but in this particular case you aren't going to be successfull in a DIY case.

Sorry if I appeared arrogant and/or harsh, but the message had to get through. If I thought it was DIY'able I would have told you.

Cheers

New!! HDD-PCB.COM for all your PCB and donor HDD requirements!

PostPosted: May 9th, 2009, 17:57 

pcimage wrote:
Whereabouts in U.S are you?

If you're prepared to listen to sense, then we're more than happy to help you.

I wish you every luck in recovering your data, but in this particular case you aren't going to be successfull in a DIY case.

Sorry if I appeared arrogant and/or harsh, but the message had to get through. If I thought it was DIY'able I would have told you.

Cheers

East coast United states. New Jersey

PostPosted: May 10th, 2009, 6:52 

Would be better to say what you can afford and then if someone want or can do it, will contact you. Beware of 'no data no charge' and 'free evaluation' and bedroom based DR... It's not first time we heard about platters upside down from 'returned drive as customer refused quote' or similar... And every serious DR charge more if the drive has been already opened.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2009, 20:51 

Personally, I'm trying to give up the habit of convincing those to not do self-DR.... It rarely works. All I'll say is that your chances are very slim indeed, and that merely the act of trying will make it difficult, expensive, and even impossible for a professional to recover the data. I'd give your odds of success at 1% or less. Understanding that, if you want to go ahead, make a clean box, match the donor drive as close as possible, watch the youtube videos on swapping heads, practice a great deal , and take your time.

I realize this will likely fall on deaf ears, but here I go again.. The people on here telling you this is hard are not being jerks. They are trying hard to do you a favor, as they realize that you will likely lose your data permanently. It seems even a lot of 'Computer Guys' don't realize how difficult and specialized this field is. We always hear about someone who is really handy, has formatted drives and installed Windows many times for many years, and is just absolutely certain they can recover data as good as a professional, if only someone would tell them the secret, in one sentence or less, how it's done. The best analogy I can offer at the moment is a Doctor. If you ask a Doctor how to do a heart bypass on yourself, they are going to laugh. When they realize you're serious, they will try to talk you out of it, and it won't have anything to do with the business they will lose. They know you'll kill yourself. I know you'll lose your data permanently, but if you're aware of this, I sincerely wish you the best of luck. It's only data, and only you can determine how important it is.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2009, 12:52 

I appreciate your input, I wish it was a little reasonable to me, in that case I would have definitely sent it to a professional. IT IS NOT !.. And then there are people who are asking lesser money, how can I trust one or the other.

You guys in business, you keep telling me I am the best and others are just taking your money and will send you your dead drive.. Tell me about a reputable, and reasonably priced professional and I will send it over to them.

It is not that I am being ignorant and I am ignoring all your warnings, I FULLY UNDERSTAND, how hard it is. I have opened several dead hard drives for the past couple of days and I found out that to be a tedious job and you need tedious hands to make this happen. I give those people FULL CREDIT for doing such things. But it is their living, and if they were a little reasonable, I wouldn't have been here asking you guys questions..

I know it is going to take them 2 hours of work to make this happen and perhaps 100 dollar of parts.. so to rip someone off asking 1500-2500 is just ridiculous. How much do they want to make per hour 750?

I am sorry if I have offended someone and wish you best of luck, but shouldn't you have two costs .. one for corporations who do not care about the cost, and one for regular person like myself...

Anyways, that is why I am trying to mess up my Hard drive... and if I learn it, even if the hard way I will make sure I do this for cheaps for others.

Hamsaya

PostPosted: May 11th, 2009, 13:09 

You have opened a lot of drives and did you bring back to life any ? (and most of all should we believe you ?) ...
About the hourly cost : if you had to buy $ 100'000 worth of equipment, build a clean room, pay annual support fees, stock parts etc. then your thoughts would be different.
Anyway you are not the first nor you'll be the last that killed his "precious" data , it's data, it's only magnetic domains recorded on a $50 hard disk.
When you will learn, make commercial ads, post on the net, even start your own DR business : the market will judge you for being good or for being a drive killer... who knows? A lot of good luck !

PostPosted: May 11th, 2009, 13:18 

hamsaya wrote:
I know it is going to take them 2 hours of work to make this happen and perhaps 100 dollar of parts.. so to rip someone off asking 1500-2500 is just ridiculous. How much do they want to make per hour 750?

Wawawawait a minute! :)
You forget some little points!
First of all, this is not a "2 hour job", think about the 1TB!
How much time does it take to copy out if the drive is healty?
With exchanged heads, we are proud if it can do some MB/s!
Additionally, the platter is scratched, and we need to sitting next to the drive and watching for any strange behavior before loose the another headstack!
(I will have a box shaped ass, because i am sitting next to one customer-opened 160GB Maxtor wich reads 400Kb/s, and stops in every 1-2 hour and i need to take out the heads again and again for cleaning....)

Additionally, you forget to count in the expensive tools, cleanroom + additionals, wich needs to pays back their price as well sooner or later....

So, please thing again about the price...

Janos