All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maxtor Diamondmax 11 Did my PCB fail? How do I swap it?
PostPosted: November 19th, 2009, 13:26 

I have a maxtor diamondmax 11
Model: 6H500F0
TLA: 6H500F008A51L
SN: H812R71H
Code: HA431DNO
N, G, C, B
LBA: 976773168

The control board died I think because of windows being able to see the drive as well as bios and linux but none of them can actually access it because as soon as you try to open it everything locks up. Am I right that replacing the PCB/ control board will fix this? Is that all I need to do or could it be another problem? I purchased another drive to swap the boards over and it spins up with the new board but windows does not even see it at all. (I also tried a USB kit too) and then I saw this thread. So if I buy a hard drive which has
S/N:H815FDBH only the H81 has to match to swap stuff right?
N, G, C, B

will it work for my hard drive???????? Please help!!!!

I purchased one other
S/N:H80gyg5h
Code: HA421DDO
N,G,B,A
and this one swapped but would not even be detected at all so I am weary of spending more $ without confirming all the info first

Post subject: Re: Maxtor Diamondmax 11 Did my PCB fail? How do I swap it?
PostPosted: November 19th, 2009, 16:09 

we have a topic about PCB swaping rules. But the gurus are reluctant to share this information , or simply dont know. Sry m8.

PostPosted: November 19th, 2009, 16:56 

Alexii wrote:
we have a topic about PCB swaping rules. But the gurus are reluctant to share this information , or simply dont know. Sry m8.

I would hope they can see I did some reading up and can help with this last lil bit I need. Also which post do you mean? I searched pcb on here and looked through alot but I did not see many rules ones.

PostPosted: November 19th, 2009, 21:23 

Hi,

I doubt the original problem is PCB related, but let's just check it quickly:
1. does the drive spin up with the original PCB? ( i suppose yes, because u wrote windows and linux can see it)
2. if yes, does it show correct model number (6H500F0)?

pepe

PostPosted: November 19th, 2009, 23:12 

You're basically asking "my computer locks up sometimes, so I think I should buy a replacement motherboard"

PostPosted: November 20th, 2009, 11:18 

pepe wrote:
Hi,

I doubt the original problem is PCB related, but let's just check it quickly:
1. does the drive spin up with the original PCB? ( i suppose yes, because u wrote windows and linux can see it)
2. if yes, does it show correct model number (6H500F0)?

pepe

drccsc wrote:
You're basically asking "my computer locks up sometimes, so I think I should buy a replacement motherboard"
umm not really if you read... I isolated it is the hard drive itself and nothing else... just have to find out if it is the board on it or something else.

Yea it spins up with the original but no data and the operating system xp or vista or linux will detect it has been connected and sometimes it will get a model number and size other times it won't. This is also on a couple different computers that I have tried this and a usb sata thing all with the same results. Anytime I try and open the hard drive or view anything related to it explorer crashes and won't work until I disconnect the drive. Still no funky noises on the drive or odd sounds and it spins fine with either pcb. One will sometimes show up in the operating system the other won't at all but that is why I think I have to match at least these numbers for the pcb to swap?
S/N:H81
N, G, C, B

ORIGINAL DRIVE =
TLA: 6H500F008A51L
SN: H812R71H
N, G, C, B
LBA: 976773168

PostPosted: November 20th, 2009, 12:39 

hdd-donor-matching-details-t13964.html. Dont know if it will help u at all though.

Btw , i take it u been able to access the data on this drive before , right ? Did anything at all happen before u lost the ability to see the data ? Any simptoms at all ? Any changes to PC ? Slow downs ?

PostPosted: November 20th, 2009, 13:21 

Alexii wrote:
http://forum.hddguru.com/hdd-donor-matching-details-t13964.html. Dont know if it will help u at all though.

Btw , i take it u been able to access the data on this drive before , right ? Did anything at all happen before u lost the ability to see the data ? Any simptoms at all ? Any changes to PC ? Slow downs ?

It just stopped one day. Also someone said that the info was innacurate as well as I am not sure what they mean by the red yellow purple etc on each thing under maxtor. There are no colors on this. But I did match some of the things if you read up

PostPosted: November 20th, 2009, 13:27 

Sorry - swapping out the pcb on this is not going to help you. You PCB looks good did you read what Pepe said to you on this one. Bad PCB or other HDD problems the Bios will not see your drive, Windows or any other system will not see your drive. So here you have it. The problem is not in your PCB board. It is not in your mother board. It is inside your drive. It could be problem on the SA of your HDD that is causing you these problems, it could be other reason too but sure if I state them you will take it wrong and want to try other DIY for this drive and destroy your data. You are better off at this point to find someone who can check this out for you. Seems like you have no idea at all what is wrong with your drive. Right now the fix can be a simple procedure as long as you do no more damage to this board and keep trying things on your own. You could have problems in the mbr, smart or other factors that are causing you this problem.

I am not sure why everyone who comes here seems to think that swaping out pcb, heads, platters, and what nots will get back their data off their drive. Sometime it is beyond their scope to realize that the problems lay inside the hdd in an area that is not accessable to them and needs to have someone correct these problems in order to get data off their hdd for them. You need tools in order to really understand the problem on this drive, make sure there is not media damage, head damage or SA damage on this. But if you want keep trying pcb boards to do this one with. Good luck on this

PostPosted: November 20th, 2009, 13:57 

Well right now I am laid off so I can't afford to send it to data recovery place for hundreds or thousands of $.... I have to do it myself or not at all my resume and all my stuff for umemployment and school are in there and I need it but as is I had to borrow $ to buy the donor hard drive.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2009, 14:07 

YourMainParadox wrote:
drccsc wrote:
umm not really if you read... I isolated it is the hard drive itself and nothing else... just have to find out if it is the board on it or something else.

Yes but your hard drive "locks up" and you're trying to just replace the PCB.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2009, 14:31 

drccsc wrote:
YourMainParadox wrote:
drccsc wrote:

ok so what would cause that besides something on the board?

PostPosted: November 20th, 2009, 14:34 

Try this if you insist: Clone this drive to another drive. Try with Winhex or Rstudio to do this one. After cloning this drive attach the clone to your system and see what you can find out. This might get you back to your data area.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2009, 15:10 

Alexii wrote:

Here's a rule for pcb swapping. (For drives made in the last five years - all manufacturers - maybe except some Samsung)

There is about +95% chance that STRAIGHT pcb swap will NOT work.

This applies to Seagate, Toshiba, Hitachi, Fujitsu,(maybe some MHV will work), Maxtor,
WD(In few cases drive will ID, but not work properly)

I don't know why all IT techicians still insist on trying pcb swap for most problems.

In almost all cases circuit board or PCB is unique for drive -
so PCB swap can be declared VERY POOR OPTION to get faulty drive working.

Please USE THIS RULE - but many will ignore in hope that it can work,
those who know don't even bother with pcb swap.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2009, 15:19 

pinkST wrote:
Alexii wrote:

Here's a rule for pcb swapping. (For drives made in the last five years - all manufacturers - maybe except some Samsung)

There is about +95% chance that pcb swap will NOT work.

This applies to Seagate, Toshiba, Hitachi, Fujitsu,(maybe some MHV will work), Maxtor,
WD(In few cases drive will ID, but not work properly)

I don't know why all IT techicians still insist on trying pcb swap for most problems.

In almost all cases circuit board or PCB is unique for drive -
so PCB swap can be declared VERY POOR OPTION to get faulty drive working.

Please USE THIS RULE - but many will ignore in hope that it can work,
those who know don't even bother with pcb swap.

1st, DR scene is not about recovering drives made in the last 5 years. Its about recovering drives. Ppl come into the DR companys with old drives just as often as with new drives.
2nd I wonder where did u get the 95 percent figure ? From ur own PCB swaping cases ? Thats unfortunate.

Now i am not talking about PCB swap as a magical cure for all the HDD problems. But in combination with PC3000 ,
(de)soldering station , a microscope and a good pair of hands a donor PCB can do wonders.

PS i am not claming to be the owner of said good pair of hands , but i do work with someone who has em.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2009, 16:01 

YourMainParadox wrote:
drccsc wrote:
YourMainParadox wrote:
drccsc wrote:

ok so what would cause that besides something on the board?

Anything else that could possibly be wrong with the drive.

Heads problems, firmware problems, media damage, bad sectors, even logical issues can easily cause windows to "lock up".

PostPosted: November 20th, 2009, 16:03 

Alexii wrote:
in combination with PC3000 ,
(de)soldering station , a microscope and a good pair of hands a donor PCB can do wonders.

Sure, but only if the problem with the drive is a PCB problem. For some reason most people try to swap PCBs regardless of the real problem with the drive, and guess what! It doesn't work!

PostPosted: November 20th, 2009, 16:28 

poehere wrote:
Try this if you insist: Clone this drive to another drive. Try with Winhex or Rstudio to do this one. After cloning this drive attach the clone to your system and see what you can find out. This might get you back to your data area.

Error Disk 11/20/2009 3:27:40 PM Read disk Maxtor 6H500F01DN0 at position 769402368 failed after 2 attempts. The specified network resource or device is no longer available (55). is all I get over and over on Rstudio during scan

PostPosted: November 20th, 2009, 17:12 

the second time it just locks up RStudio

PostPosted: November 20th, 2009, 17:16 

Alexii,

You asked for a rule - I gave you one cause you wrote that gurus don't share or don't know.

I can tell you don't know much - from what you wrote -

you might be a danger to your customers - warn them. :mrgreen: