All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Custom file signature -> .mts problem
PostPosted: December 10th, 2011, 13:39 

Hello

I am working on a strange case with a 2TB WD disk, which is full of .mts files (client is a photographer).
For some strange reason he realized that one folder with the wedding of one of his clients is empty. (I do not have any other background history. I only get an "I don't know" response to my questions of how did this happen, or when did it happen).

I confirm this; for some reason this folder looks empty. I ran several s/w (R-Studio, UFS, File Scavenger etc) to no avail.

I thought of trying raw recovery on this. So I added on R-Studio this custom signature for .mts file:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<FileTypeList>
<FileType id="1416" group="Multimedia Video" description="Sony HD files" extension="mts">
<Signature offset="4" from="begin">\x47\x40\x00\x10\x00\x00\xb0\x11\x00\x00\xc1\x00</Signature>
</FileType>
</FileTypeList>

I ran R-Studio with this signature. There must be something wrong with this; I stopped R-Studio on 30%, it gives me an enormous amount of files with total capacity of 78TB (!!) and each .mts file it found is ~2GB large (which is not normal).

Anyone has experienced something similar? Is there something obvious I'm missing? Thanks!!

Post subject: Re: Custom file signature -> .mts problem
PostPosted: December 10th, 2011, 14:27 

PM sent...

PostPosted: December 12th, 2011, 3:49 

einstein's suggestion was good, but it doesn't seem to apply to hdd's (only memory cards).

Some other suggestion?

PostPosted: December 12th, 2011, 5:31 

Assuming you're working on a clone, and assuming the other files are of no interest, then delete all the visible MTS files and zero-fill their occupied space. Then search again for MTS signatures. In fact if you wipe every file of every type, then all you will have left will be previously deleted remnants. These remnants should be easier to search, and you won't be distracted by other file data.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2011, 17:32 

Did u try r-studio help? they are pretty fast in email support!

PostPosted: December 13th, 2011, 3:40 

Clients couldn't wait any longer, so this case closed :(

Thanks for help einstein, Frank and positivebit

PostPosted: December 13th, 2011, 5:13 

heheh, had many clients like ur situation

but continue reading about it for later cases
good luck

PostPosted: April 8th, 2013, 14:05 

Hello guys,

Have the same situation with a case here.. client format the partition for mistake.. using r-studio I was able to recover 70Gb from visible data including a lot of mts files but the client asked me for about 300Gb in mts files.. I added the file signature to r-tudio and like northwind the result is an enormous amount of files.. r-studio canĀ“t determined the end of the file so is recovering files with 1/2 GB size and the original files should be between 8 Mb to 300 Mb.

Is possible somehow to recover the files with the original size?

PostPosted: April 8th, 2013, 22:45 

I don't have R-Studio or a Sony MTS file, but I do have MTS files from my STB. I notice that these files consist of a stream of data chunks, each with a size 0xC0 bytes and an 0x47 byte at offset 0x04 in the header. The last chunk in the file appears to be no different to the others.

ISTM that you could check your recovered MTS files for consistency by reading each data chunk and looking for an 0x47 at offset 0x04 in its header. If your check fails, then that would suggest that you have come to the end of the file.

It shouldn't be too difficult to automate this procedure with some home grown software.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2013, 5:32 

northwind wrote:
Hello

I am working on a strange case with a 2TB WD disk, which is full of .mts files (client is a photographer).
For some strange reason he realized that one folder with the wedding of one of his clients is empty. (I do not have any other background history. I only get an "I don't know" response to my questions of how did this happen, or when did it happen).

I confirm this; for some reason this folder looks empty. I ran several s/w (R-Studio, UFS, File Scavenger etc) to no avail.

I thought of trying raw recovery on this. So I added on R-Studio this custom signature for .mts file:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<FileTypeList>
<FileType id="1416" group="Multimedia Video" description="Sony HD files" extension="mts">
<Signature offset="4" from="begin">\x47\x40\x00\x10\x00\x00\xb0\x11\x00\x00\xc1\x00</Signature>
</FileType>
</FileTypeList>

I ran R-Studio with this signature. There must be something wrong with this; I stopped R-Studio on 30%, it gives me an enormous amount of files with total capacity of 78TB (!!) and each .mts file it found is ~2GB large (which is not normal).

Anyone has experienced something similar? Is there something obvious I'm missing? Thanks!!

Dear Friend northwind
Sorry Bcoz For Late Solution Bcoz I dun Have Time To Reguler Comes Here.
Dear Brother Its Not Hard To Handle This File Types
I Recover This Type Of AVCHD @ .MTS Files With Complet Structor.
If You Want Solution That Work Awasom That I Use Reguler In DR Life From Last 1 Year For This Type Of Extension And Recover More Then 10000TB Data Specialy Photographers And Studio Work People.
PM Me Guys IF Any One Want 100% Solution.
I Will Tell How To Deal With This Problem.
Sorry For My Bad english.

Yours Friend
Jignesh Pankhania