All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: External HDD to SATA fail
PostPosted: October 30th, 2012, 10:46 

Hello guys.

So this is what happened:

I had a new external HDD WD My Book Essential USB 3.0 (2TB) 6 month ago. All was good until two days ago. I rebooted my computer and I won't boot up. After disconnecting WD HDD it work perfectly But after I turned my PC off, and tried to turn it on, again it won't boot up with the HDD connected AND some weird ticking noise started in HDD itself. I sounds like it's trying to boot but failing and trying again. So I disconnected, boot up the system and then plugged it in. Nothing.... Not in explorer, not in disk management not in Acronis program, nothing.... I rebooted and it showed and Local Disk R, but I can't even start disk management or open it with explorer, or even open any program to be able to see/fix it. In the end, HDD wasn't even turning on.

So the next day I called tech support of WD. They told me standard stuff, like "Disconnect, Reconnect Try another port,...etc ". Nothing. By warranty they can replace it, BUT I don't care about the drive itself, I need data. In this case they can't help me. All they told me is to contact special company for that, and it's gonna cost me up to 1000$.

After that call, I noticed a burning smell from HDD. It was connected to power and USB. I disconnected and I opened the case of my HDD. SATA HDD itself seams to be fine, but the connection board (with USB and power) burned.

So, I connected directly via SATA to my PC. And that's when the fun starts:
BIOS did not recognized it. I switched the SATA port. BIOS showed the model and everything but it gives me "Ultra DMA Mode-5 S.M.A.R.T Capable but Command Failed."
Reboot.... All good. In Windows... NOTHING. In different software... NOTHING. Reboot again: and again "Ultra DMA Mode-5 S.M.A.R.T Capable but Command Failed". Reboot. S.M.A.R.T. Command Failed... Reboot 5 times, all good. Started LiveBoot CD by Wondershare. It found my HDD and UNKNOWN. Was trying to recover data from it, program freeze. Reboot again. Was trying to fix mbr with Win 7 Boot Cd, nothing cuz it can't see were to fix mbr. Reboot. Started HDAT2. Nothing. Reboot 10 times, and HDAT2 finally can see my HDD. Before I start any test I shows me read error from UNKNOWN DEVICE. Started "hdat2 most powerful test". Nothing. No errors was found. O_o.

Also I try Read MBR with the same HDAT2. Everything 0/0/0/0.

So what else I can possibly try?? Oh yeah, when I connected my HDD via SATA, that "boot or not to boot" sound was still there.

My PC:
> Mainboard : Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
> Chipset : AMD 785G
> Processor : AMD Athlon II X4 620 @ 2600MHz
> Physical Memory : 8GB DDR3-SDRAM
> Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
> Hard Disk : Western Digital WD10EADS-00M2B0 ATA Device (1000GB) <-- this HDD is fine.
> DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H50N
> DVD-Rom Drive : XIJWX ZKDABO96J
> Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
> Network Card : Atheros Communications AR5212 802.11a/b/g Wireless Network Adapter
> Operating System : Windows 7 Professional / Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

Thank you guys

Post subject: Re: External HDD to SATA fail
PostPosted: October 31st, 2012, 6:19 

Hi freaddo,

Firstly stop trying random things as you will probably ruin any chances of getting your data back.

Secondly use the search facility on this site there is a lot of posts regarding WD My Book Esentials.

Thirdly If you are going to keep trying random DIY then use software like R-Studio's demo to clone the encrypted drive to another good working 2Tb WD drive. That way you will have a back up when your DIY goes wrong.
Remember DIY comes with risks.

For info these WD MY Book Estentials are encrypted via the USB bridge board.
You will not get access to the decrypted data without connecting & using the (or a compatible) USB bridge board.
Regarding your comment "After that call, I noticed a burning smell from HDD. It was connected to power and USB. I disconnected and I opened the case of my HDD. SATA HDD itself seams to be fine, but the connection board (with USB and power) burned" This is not going to be a free fix you will need to buy a donor part.

Loki

PostPosted: October 31st, 2012, 9:36 

Hey Loki.

Ok, so I got a board from the same new My book essential. And..... nothing..... HDD acting the SAME way as it was connected to SATA. BUT, I saw a little difference: my board is: 4061-705094-001 Rev. AA , and the one I used is 4061-705094-001 Rev. AD. Is this the problem? Is this makes it act the same way SATA act. By this I mean:
-Before my board burned: can't see HDD in explorer, disk management, utility programs, other software. Can't reboot from the first time, or enter BIOS, or load MS_DOS. When it shows in My Computer (after 10 times or rebooting) as Local Disk R, explorer, disk manager, cmd, and ALL software freeze right before loading any info.
-After burn, and conected to SATA. THE SAME THING
-Connected with 4061-705094-001 Rev. AD board via USB: THE SAME THING.

THE only one utility that I can open in DOS with HDD connected is HDAT2. BUT, I can't do nothing there cuz IT FREEZE.

So, question is, if I gonna order PCBA 4061-705094-001 Rev. AA would it be the same damn thing? I starting to thing, maybe there is a problem in MBR or something like that??

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/PCBA-4061-705094 ... 07fc6#shId

PostPosted: October 31st, 2012, 11:51 

I suggest you get it assessed by a pro, if your data is important to you. A 3TB WD drive is not likely to be a $300 project, but there is still a chance that it could be less than $1000.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2012, 13:23 

lcoughey wrote:
I suggest you get it assessed by a pro, if your data is important to you. A 3TB WD drive is not likely to be a $300 project, but there is still a chance that it could be less than $1000.

Agreed,
freaddo DIY has its risks & its limits. As Icoughey has said if your data is important & warrants the cost then send it off to a pro.
Some do give a free evaluation

Loki

PostPosted: October 31st, 2012, 13:33 

well if only DIY was possible.... but expect sending it to the PRO i have no idea what else I can do. Hmmm.. Maybe when I gonna format it, and then do recovery process with some utility it will work.... Have no idea really.... DAmn... But the proble is I cant even format it, cuz to do it, utility need to see what to format, but except BIOS no one can see it...

PostPosted: October 31st, 2012, 13:48 

freaddo wrote:
Maybe when I gonna format it, and then do recovery process with some utility it will work

No it will not work,
if anything it will only increase your recovery costs and make the job more difficult for others.
From what you have stated, the hard drive has serious problems along with encryption of data.
Sorry, not DIY.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2013, 8:53 

freaddo wrote:
Hey Loki.

Ok, so I got a board from the same new My book essential. And..... nothing..... HDD acting the SAME way as it was connected to SATA. BUT, I saw a little difference: my board is: 4061-705094-001 Rev. AA , and the one I used is 4061-705094-001 Rev. AD. Is this the problem?

Hi good people,
I'm having a problem with my 3TB My Book Essential, and I want to try to replace the USB board. mine is Rev AD, but I find on Ebay only Rev AA or Rev 13R.
Do you know what are the differences between the different Revs of USB board 4061-705094-001, can one Rev be replaced by another, or do I have to get the same Rev?
freaddo, Do you still have the Rev AD card? Maybe I can have a try with it as well.

Thanks,
Klarki

klarki at gmail dot com

PostPosted: July 1st, 2013, 8:39 

Here's a picture of the board.

I think the sound it makes is of searching (and I...

You wouldn't believe it!
As I was plugging the disk to the electricity, it started making the annoying search sound, but then... it simply started!
I'm copying the important stuff as we speak, and I'll let you know what's up.

But, hey, Thank you! some times it needs just the power of the mind.
After all, there are no computer experts, just computer Shamans ;-)

Attachment:
20130618_124443 usb board.jpg
20130618_124443 usb board.jpg [ 3.02 MiB | Viewed 21363 times ]

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2013, 19:29 

So far, so good.
I haven't turned off the drive or the PC, and most of the data is out safely.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2013, 22:40 

I have the same problem been looking for 4061-705094-001 Rev. AD but can not find any. I noticed there was a photo of one here. Does someone have one I can try out to see if I can recover my data. If I can recover my data I would be willing to float someone $100 and send back the card. I'm interested in getting my data and not going broke sending it to a recovery center until I've tried all other options.

Thank you anyone for your help,
Ray

PostPosted: September 17th, 2013, 0:52 

@raystmr, what is the problem with your board? Can you upload a photo of the component side? Sometimes there is an easy DIY fix.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2014, 2:19 

Hi guys,

I'm new here. I have problem with my Western Digital My Book external hard disk 3.0TB USB 3.0 + 2.0. I think it caused by unstable electricity.
The disk didn't spin & the LED light not blinking, but when I connect the hard disk with internal connection to my PC, it spinning, though I couldn't read the data.
1. Is this show that 4061-705094-001 Rev AG board inside the box was damaged?
2. Could it changed with a similar board like 4061-705094-001 Rev AD, AE, AA? A seller told me that 4061-705149-000 Rev AA have same shape & function. Which one should I choose?
3. I read forums form some website, that the disk encrypted by the board. Could I read the data after change the board or it only can be recovered by a software? If the board only for recover, could someone tell me step by step?
Thank you for your help, all.

Best regards,
Shane

Attachments:
IMG00229-20140219-1311.jpg
IMG00229-20140219-1311.jpg [ 426.83 KiB | Viewed 19949 times ]

PostPosted: February 19th, 2014, 16:15 

@shineshane, a compatible replacement board should work.

That said, there may be an easier/cheaper solution. If you connect the board on its own (without the drive), does it show up in Device Manager or USBDeview or UVCView?

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB_ID ... ew.x86.exe
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

PostPosted: March 15th, 2014, 9:27 

Hi fzabkar, thank you for your reply. I've bought the board with exactly same model. There's only one seller I found from USA.

I installed the board. The LED light works & seems the disk was spinning, but it still can't be read from Windows.
I divide the HD become two partitions before, My Book 1 (1.5TB) & My Book 2 (1.5TB).

I use DMDE & it detected that there's a volume My Book 1. It contains some of my file (not all of my files detected). And, there are two others volume didn't recognized, They are $Volume 03 (1.5TB, I think it's My Book 2) & $Volume 02 (3TB, I don't know what's this). Seems the My Book 2 volume was damaged or changed? There's Insert option for My Book 1 & there's Restore option for $Volume 03

I use low end PC. It maybe slow for recovery process or else. Would you tell me what's best software to recover data of my hard disk & how's overall process, step by step.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,
Shane

Attachments:
20140315_200411.jpg
20140315_200411.jpg [ 453.28 KiB | Viewed 19760 times ]
20140315_200351.jpg
20140315_200351.jpg [ 590.28 KiB | Viewed 19760 times ]

PostPosted: March 15th, 2014, 16:24 

@Shane, it appears that your drive was originally partitioned with a single 3TB NTFS partition beginning at sector 256 and ending on sector 732558335.

You subsequently repartitioned the drive with two 1.5TB NTFS partitions, as follows:

partition #1 -- sectors 63 to 366265934
partition #2 -- sectors 366265935 to 732547934

The second partition (My Book 1) appears to be intact. DMDE has found the boot sector (B) at the beginning of the partition and the copy of the boot sector (C) at the end. DMDE has also found the partition's file/folder structure (F).

The first partition, however, appears to be damaged in some way. DMDE has found a copy of the boot sector at the end of the partition, but sector 63 appears to be corrupt. AFAICT DMDE has been unable to find a folder structure. Did you initialise the drive when you had it outside its enclosure, and did you format it?

Can you show us the contents of sectors 0, 63, and 366265934?

PostPosted: September 19th, 2014, 14:19 

shineshane, had the same problem as you last night!

Were you able to get that exact piece of the controller board? -> 4061-705094-001 Rev AG

Mine is that one too, having a tough time trying to find one on the Internet. How did you manage to get yours working? Did you find this exact controller board or was it one of the others ones? AA, AD? ....

PostPosted: January 18th, 2015, 4:45 

Hello, I have the same problem with My Book Essential 2TB 3.0USB. It suddenly stopped working few days ago. I opened the case and separated the disk and the control board, the disk was fine and can be detected by the computer but it was locked as shown by the WD Smartware. Then I plugged the board into the computer alone and it didn't light up and cannot be detected.
What can I do now??Please help! Thank you so much!!!

Attachments:
20150118_161811[1].jpg
20150118_161811[1].jpg [ 3.59 MiB | Viewed 12891 times ]

PostPosted: January 18th, 2015, 16:13 

When you say the disk is fine and can be detected by the computer are you SATA connecting it or connecting using the USB bridge shown in the picture?

PostPosted: January 18th, 2015, 17:20 

candys067 wrote:
Then I plugged the board into the computer alone and it didn't light up and cannot be detected.

FWIW, I have version AE of the same bridge PCB. It flashes the LED when powered up and connected to a USB port on its own.

AIUI, you have connected your drive via SATA and it was detected, but its data were inaccessible due to encryption.

Does your drive spin up when it is connected to the bridge PCB?