All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Looking for used HRT 5.0 DRE or 3.0 "C" .
PostPosted: May 19th, 2018, 15:37 

Stuff that you can do with HRT DEMO :

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36835

:D

PostPosted: May 19th, 2018, 16:53 

trumanhw wrote:
What is an HRT tool... ? What makes it desirable?

You will see that the people who are looking to buy the HRT tool like @matteo that posted this thread here some days ago - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=36698 are normaly people following the research threads on my site and researching/playing with firmware.

Check here - http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php? ... 220#p16773

Again this tool is aimed to a very specific/restricted set of people studying the way firmware tools works and how to gain access to firmware at I/O low level, etc ...

While MRT/PC-3000 is a coded tool aimed for people doing DR/Drive Repair to just click some functions and gain access to the firmware the HRT is more aimed to people who what to know and study how to gain the access to the firmware itself.

Example, while on PC-3000 and MRT you would "detect" a WD drive and click "Apply Slow Fix" on HRT you would send some registers to place the drive in DRQ (data request) so that you would send a "buffer" with a key to retrieve module 02, then you would patch it, send the key to write the module back to he drive, etc ....

While on PC-3000 you would for example place a HGST drive locked by password and you would click "remove password" option on HRT you would connect the PCB only, read the NVRam, patch it, write it back, place the PCB on the drive, read the security module from copy F, write it to copy 0, write NVRam back.

Also you could use HRT ATA terminal and send a command to gain access to memory then send the ATA VSC to read NVRam, etc .....

You would do a "step-by-step" issuing command after command at low level I/O by manipulating ATA registers and buffers instead of clicking menus on the PC-3000 / MRT saying stuff like "read this module" "unlock this password" "do this fix" .. etc ....

Also HRT is very COSTUMIZABLE.

While MRT/PC-3000 will only have the menus provided by the tool maker the HRT can be "expanded" by settings and scripts on the .ini files so that you can add your own menus to make your desirable functions without changing the executable files.

EXAMPLE of a very simple "Spildit Menu" on my HRT tool :

Attachment:
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 77.05 KiB | Viewed 828 times ]

PostPosted: May 19th, 2018, 17:12 

To make a simple comparison, let's say that you do have a PDF files that you do want to read on your computer.

PC-3000 would be the Adobe Acrobat that would allow you to read your PDF and edit it while HRT would be something like a programming language compiler so that you could "build" your own PDF reader (like FoxIT reader, etc ...)

While HRT can do many stuff on older drives and does even have a DRE "module" like the MRT/PC-3000 DE to extract data, clone/image by head map withassistence of hardware, etc ... the strong points of it is the support of very old drives and the capability of "expansion" by adding menus and functions if you do know VSCs (that you most probably don't know anyway) and the ATA terminals to study the firmware at low level.

Again if you don't know what this tool is then you don't need it at all. Only a very few people (mainly developing their own tools) will need HRT, it's not for "normal" data recovery business and is more for testing code / functions / registers. If you are coding your own firmware tool / ATA terminal this is great but if you are doing data recovery and fixing drives then you do need something like PC-3000, MRT, SeDiv, SHTR, WDMarvel, DFL, etc ....