All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: CC43 fw for ST2000DM001 wanted
PostPosted: August 12th, 2018, 3:02 
Offline

Joined: August 12th, 2018, 1:37
Posts: 8
Location: Hanud
Greetings.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

MODEL: ST2000DM001
PN: CH164-300
FW: CC43 (fkgraded to CC29)
DATE: 13134

I'm looking for original CC43 firmware, with which HDD was equipped on factory,
to rollback on it from upgraded CC29, taken from Seagate Download Finder:
Code:
Barracuda-GrenadaBP-CC29-CC49.zip
41,825,618 bytes
CRC32: BC122D10
MD5:   6C5DA22F0CEA24DA186F4A4A992E337C
SHA-1: 12F44280877D8D0F023B691989524A0EBB6E36F9

I will be very grateful for the help in this matter.
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CC43 fw for ST2000DM001 wanted
PostPosted: August 12th, 2018, 15:29 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: June 17th, 2018, 11:43
Posts: 284
Location: spain
hi
Try to download it here http://firmware.hddsurgery.com/index.php with a premium account that costs 1 euro.


Attachments:
Nueva imagen de mapa de bits.jpg
Nueva imagen de mapa de bits.jpg [ 154.18 KiB | Viewed 1924 times ]

_________________
Is Earth an intelligent being?
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CC43 fw for ST2000DM001 wanted
PostPosted: August 13th, 2018, 3:49 
Offline

Joined: August 12th, 2018, 1:37
Posts: 8
Location: Hanud
mhp666, hi.

Thank you for reply.
I've come across this resource many times during my searches.

However, does your advice based on your own (or any whom you know) practical experience to deal with this firm?

All is very strange on this site...
They block the ability to select and copy info from it, but it's easy healing by turning off CSS.
Being DR company, they show serial numbers . Does it their customers serials?

Strange dates of files they show.
Strange sizes of this files - from 10 to 500(!)MB for identical (as it would seems) items:

Image

So, cause not me only, but many are reading this your advice, please, confirm it seriously.
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CC43 fw for ST2000DM001 wanted
PostPosted: August 13th, 2018, 17:41 
Offline

Joined: October 16th, 2013, 13:21
Posts: 717
Location: Brazil
Yes, the firmwares are good.

What do you intend to fix with the firmware in that disk ? What was the original problem of the disk ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CC43 fw for ST2000DM001 wanted
PostPosted: August 13th, 2018, 18:42 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: September 8th, 2009, 18:21
Posts: 11009
Location: Australia
Seagate's firmware updates generally target the code components in the ROM plus the overlay modules in the System Area on the platters. These represent only a small portion of the full firmware.

newbie info, from and for newbies :) About firmware ...
viewtopic.php?t=6562

@figu, is your drive still working after your CC29 update?

_________________
A backup a day keeps DR away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CC43 fw for ST2000DM001 wanted
PostPosted: August 14th, 2018, 5:21 
Offline

Joined: August 12th, 2018, 1:37
Posts: 8
Location: Hanud
rogfanther,

* Yes, the firmwares are good.
- Thank you for your opinion.

Your positive feedback is good :) too in itself already.

However, the fact that they wrote "Barracuda" with the single only "r" is a little bit alarm.
And they wrote it non among tons of technical docs, but in its own-created test for registration :))

Image

And,.. what means "good"?
It's rhetorical question now, but it will raise later surely...


* What do you intend to fix with the firmware in that disk ?
- Nothing else but the firmware itself.


* What was the original problem of the disk ?
- This disk had had small specific problems already before flashing fw.

And it has its now too.
Some problems was criticaly increased,
but I doubt (in a force of my humble skill),
that it is directly related with the "old-new" fw CC29.

The main problem is that there are two same disks. And they are not my own.
And the fw upgrade was agreed with the owner. He is IT too :)
But upgrade on CC49 was diskussed, not downgrade to CC29, that was not talked at all.

The keywords was yellowed "important" and "or".
This vilely "or' :(
I could not even imagine that it means СС29 only in my case.

Image

.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CC43 fw for ST2000DM001 wanted
PostPosted: August 14th, 2018, 6:36 
Offline

Joined: August 12th, 2018, 1:37
Posts: 8
Location: Hanud
fzabkar,
hello. Glad to meet you :)
fzabkar wrote:
Seagate's firmware updates generally target the code components in the ROM plus the overlay modules in the System Area on the platters. These represent only a small portion of the full firmware. ...

Yeah. But I' m talking about to get the LOD-file only.
GBP2TBCC43.LOD e.g., by analogy as they named in original fw:
GBP2TBCC29.LOD
GBP1TBCC49.LOD
GBP3TBCC29.LOD

If I find it, I can feed it to the SeaChest :)



* newbie info
- Thank you. It will be useful to read it before bed.


* is your drive still working after your CC29 update?
- As I wrote above - no :(

But, repeat, I'm not sure, that the CC29 was a reason.
It seems me like a coincidence in time only.
Thus, let me do not grow this side of this complex problem. For now only ...

Regardless of other problems with this disk I must to restore original fw CC43.

Or, another way is to downgrade the second disk to CC29 too.
Bit, in this case, I must have a clear rationale for such a step,
to reasonably explain them to the disk owner.

If decision to upgrade the firstdisk from CC43 to possible CC49
was made with closed eyes on argument of
"greater fw number --> less bugs --> best work",
so decision to downgrade the second, good healthy disk too,
after the first was ill already and begun more after it... - it is inexplicable...

In very worstes case I must to return both disks identhical one to another,
regardless of their health. In happy case - come back to state of the problem disk,
nearest to its previouse state.

Otherwise, my reputation will suffer :(

I had a 2-hours phone conversation on last friday with ST support.
They can't (not want ???) to explain the:
- difference between CC43 and CC29;
- reason of the actual fw number decreasing;
- reasons of downgrading in complex;
- reasons of unaccessibility of CC43 not for users only, but for supports too;
- the strange behavior of flashing proces gives no the choice to user;
- the strange naming of update, misleading users in right understanding "or" and "-"

I can't forward this spaghetti, this verbal diarrhea to disk owner :(

However, yestarday I recieved the survey from them by e-mail:
Quote:
Dear Valued Customer,

Please take a few moments to tell us about your recent support experience with Seagate by clicking on the link below. Our brief online questionnaire should only take a couple of minutes to complete and would help us to understand how to better serve you in the future.

Please click here for the survey.

Thank you for your time.

Seagate Support

.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CC43 fw for ST2000DM001 wanted
PostPosted: August 14th, 2018, 6:45 
Offline

Joined: August 12th, 2018, 1:37
Posts: 8
Location: Hanud
rogfanther,
sorry, but my reply to you is on premoderating still.
So, please, wait for it will appear soon.
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CC43 fw for ST2000DM001 wanted
PostPosted: August 14th, 2018, 14:51 
Offline

Joined: August 12th, 2018, 1:37
Posts: 8
Location: Hanud
figu wrote:
Some problems was criticaly increased,
but I doubt (in a force of my humble skill),
that it is directly related with the "old-new" fw CC29..

Sorry for typo. Bolded must to be read as:

... it is NOT directly related with ...
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CC43 fw for ST2000DM001 wanted
PostPosted: August 14th, 2018, 15:05 
Offline

Joined: October 16th, 2013, 13:21
Posts: 717
Location: Brazil
The missing "r" in some place of the page is not of importance. Your text ( and mine probably ) also have incorrections. No big deal.

You have read in a lot of threads here about the site, and of the recommendations about it, so no reason to be afraid of downloading firmware from there.

I perceive you do not answer directly a lot of the questions asked. So, to address the important point, firmware updates do not fix "small specific disk problems" "per se". Correctly assesment of the problem must be done before blindly trying to update firmware. Supposing the important files from this disk were backed up before the firmware adventure, you can just replace the disk and be done with it.

Since you say the IT guy from your customer agreed with the update, there is no need for aggravation now.

If the data in the disks is important ( are they part of a raid, just to make things worse ? ) then they should be send to an experienced data recovery firm. Messing too much with firmware updates may make things worse and even end up deleting some important part of the firmware on the disk itself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CC43 fw for ST2000DM001 wanted
PostPosted: August 14th, 2018, 16:04 
Offline

Joined: August 12th, 2018, 1:37
Posts: 8
Location: Hanud
rogfanther,

* Your text ( and mine probably ) also have incorrections. No big deal.
- Yeah. But it is "no big" only since nor you, nor me do not tries to sell something to to somebody.


* ... must be done before ...
- The history does not know the subjunctive mood.
However, which reasons, except increasing number (CC43 --> CC49),
was on the hands thereat? And as now too ...

Nobody(!) knows the difference between 29-43-49.
Which enhancing was implemented, which bugs was cleared etc.?
Who knows it? You are right - all upgrades as blinded, yeah...


* ... IT guy from your customer agreed with the update ...
- IT guy is the disks owner itself.
Moreover - he is not my "customer".
He is my friend for 30 years already. And the main:
UPgrade was agreed, but not DOWNgrade ...


* If the data in the disks is important ...
- No-no! There are no data on CC29. Thank The Lord!
However, the another, CC43 disk, it is with data already up to edges :(
I expect to dump the firmware from it as carefully as possible.
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CC43 fw for ST2000DM001 wanted
PostPosted: August 14th, 2018, 17:22 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: September 8th, 2009, 18:21
Posts: 11009
Location: Australia
@figu, hopefully the following guide will show you why rolling back your firmware is not a simple matter.

Analysis of Seagate F3 Firmware Update:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=816

_________________
A backup a day keeps DR away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CC43 fw for ST2000DM001 wanted
PostPosted: August 14th, 2018, 17:39 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: April 3rd, 2011, 0:19
Posts: 1872
Location: Providence, RI
Not that it's likely to help one bit in your situation, but here's a free copy of the firmware: https://www.file-medics.com:5001/d/f/438109170980364521

_________________
Data Medics - Hard Drive, SSD, and RAID Data Recovery Service Company


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CC43 fw for ST2000DM001 wanted
PostPosted: August 14th, 2018, 20:20 
Offline

Joined: October 16th, 2013, 13:21
Posts: 717
Location: Brazil
figu wrote:
rogfanther,

* Your text ( and mine probably ) also have incorrections. No big deal.
- Yeah. But it is "no big" only since nor you, nor me do not tries to sell something to to somebody.


They are not selling firmwares, it is offered as a service to the customers of their head exchanging tools. A good search on this forum will return a lot of indications and recommendations about the the hddsurgery forums and the big help they are.

Quote:
* ... must be done before ...
- The history does not know the subjunctive mood.
However, which reasons, except increasing number (CC43 --> CC49),
was on the hands thereat? And as now too ...

Nobody(!) knows the difference between 29-43-49.
Which enhancing was implemented, which bugs was cleared etc.?
Who knows it? You are right - all upgrades as blinded, yeah...


yeah, upgrades are blind. But generally they are discussed in forum all over the internet, with good and bad advice. But it happens, the txt in the firmware package isn´t much clear in the versions applied.

Quote:
* ... IT guy from your customer agreed with the update ...
- IT guy is the disks owner itself.
Moreover - he is not my "customer".
He is my friend for 30 years already. And the main:
UPgrade was agreed, but not DOWNgrade ...


* If the data in the disks is important ...
- No-no! There are no data on CC29. Thank The Lord!
However, the another, CC43 disk, it is with data already up to edges :(
I expect to dump the firmware from it as carefully as possible.
.


No data on the disk, it isn´t from a customer and the disk was already having problems. So, if the disk doesn´t work anymore, just replace it with another good one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CC43 fw for ST2000DM001 wanted
PostPosted: August 15th, 2018, 13:00 
Offline

Joined: August 12th, 2018, 1:37
Posts: 8
Location: Hanud
data-medics,
thank you very much!

I downloaded your archive immediately.
However, I can to report on how the work was done only now.

Unfortunately, my disk is getting worse and worse.
It hardly recognized by BIOS already, it take many time,
and, more over, the next new fact is that the SMART error may raised even on BIOS level.
And there are many other bad symptoms :(

However, I could load Seagate USB.
But everytime at environmet loading I faced with "SRST failed errno=-16".
When I tried to load your CC43 (and my CC29 too) LOD
this SRST error was raised again and again.
And it was possible to reboot only after it.
With unavoidable BIOS freeze and its SMART error again & again ... etc.
Many time was killed.

I will try tomorrow again...

Thank you once more.

Sincerely,
figu
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CC43 fw for ST2000DM001 wanted
PostPosted: August 16th, 2018, 15:28 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 12th, 2005, 3:32
Posts: 663
Location: Belgrade
figu wrote:
data-medics,
thank you very much!

I downloaded your archive immediately.
However, I can to report on how the work was done only now.

Unfortunately, my disk is getting worse and worse.
It hardly recognized by BIOS already, it take many time,
and, more over, the next new fact is that the SMART error may raised even on BIOS level.
And there are many other bad symptoms :(

However, I could load Seagate USB.
But everytime at environmet loading I faced with "SRST failed errno=-16".
When I tried to load your CC43 (and my CC29 too) LOD
this SRST error was raised again and again.
And it was possible to reboot only after it.
With unavoidable BIOS freeze and its SMART error again & again ... etc.
Many time was killed.

I will try tomorrow again...

Thank you once more.

Sincerely,
figu
.


So, to put thinks clear you are not sure that fw's are good but you are surre you do not have any proper tool to use it.
You are killing drive very fast and very good and only problem you see is files on our server. Files are free for data recovery proffesionals, there is a reason we do not share them with gen. pop.
One of the reason is i do not want to see more broken drives then i should Good knows how many wrong serials numbers i read from bad drives after someone wrote all modules to SA.
Downloading soft from a internet does not make you expert. If you know someone for 30 years you should be old enough to know you should not mess with things you do not know.
Hdd u took was.probably from raid 0 of some nas box and 99% chance it has some bad head. If you do paint job on your car it wi steal leak oil.
Nikola

_________________
HddSurgery - Professional Data Recovery Tools


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CC43 fw for ST2000DM001 wanted
PostPosted: August 16th, 2018, 17:24 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: September 8th, 2009, 18:21
Posts: 11009
Location: Australia
@figu, you cannot [easily] apply a firmware update via USB.

The BIOS SMART error probably reflects an excessive number of bad sectors, which would in turn point to a weak head or bad media. Applying a firmware update or downgrade will not fix this problem. More importantly, you did not cause this problem -- it already existed.

The LOD (loader) file in the resource dump is not the same as that in the official updates. The loader generated by PC3000 typically only consists of the SA overlays whereas Seagate's official LOD files also include the code segments in the ROM. If you were to succeed in updating your drive with Data-Medics' loader, then you would have a mismatched ROM and SA. This would probably result in an inoperable drive.

_________________
A backup a day keeps DR away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CC43 fw for ST2000DM001 wanted
PostPosted: August 16th, 2018, 17:50 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: September 8th, 2009, 18:21
Posts: 11009
Location: Australia
figu wrote:
But upgrade on CC49 was diskussed, not downgrade to CC29 ...

I don't think that Seagate's firmware versions can be interpreted in that way. It could be that the CC2x firmware is a different "stream" than CC4x.

Your drive's date code is 13134 which corresponds to 2012-10-01.

http://www.bugaco.com/calculators/seagate_date_code.php

The date stamp of the GBP2TBCC29.LOD and GBP1TBCC49.LOD files is 27 November 2013 8:18:37 PM. Clearly that's an upgrade.

Here is an example:
https://www.harddrivesforsale.com/st2000dm001-1ch164-306-cc29.html

Quote:
Model number: ST2000DM001. Part number: 1CH164-306. Serial number: W1E66RK9. Firmware: CC29. Date Code: 14207. DOM: 11/2013 (2013-11-16).

BTW, Seagate's resellers and OEMs are given changelog info for each update whereas retail customers are not.

See this configuration file:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/GRCC4CD9.TXT

Notice that some ST2000DM001-9YN164 drives are updated to CC4C, others to CC4D and still others to CC9D.

The CC9x stream has "MC [media cache] DISABLED", whereas CC4x has "DT MC", whatever that means.

_________________
A backup a day keeps DR away.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 31 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group