All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Introduction of MRT software version 2127
PostPosted: September 28th, 2018, 11:21 

saltwater wrote:
Hi!
When MRT failed to load the drive SA module dir, and using default module dir, close utility, and open it again.
Sometimes the MRT utility does not get enough time for the drive to gain access to SA module list (FIT), and the utility jumps out this important step, and uses "default module list".

It makes sense but it's not the case yesterday I power on the drive and mrt immediately load the drive SA module dir, after a while I power on again but now even after four times I close utility and open it again mrt still failed to load the drive SA module dir only in the fifth time it did, but it's not a big deal the real problem of can't read rom and can't edit head map is remain although I hope it will be fix in the new update 2128 mrt upload few days after the current but it still does not work.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2018, 17:43 

Try to read ROM by terminal with SHTR DEMO. SeDiv does have problems reading ROM by terminal on Samsung as well.

On modern Samsung there is the need to load extra code (external) to the drive so that ROM read by terminal is possible.

On very old classic samsung you could use things like China HDD union SRT to read ROM by terminal and the operation would be like the tool would issue terminal commands to read and save the ROM code as binary file. On later drives you can't do that anymore as reading by terminal is not as simple as using commands to dump and save code portions. You do need to load code first to the drive and the way SeDiv and SHTR do this is by loading EXTERNAL code to the drive (not overlays saved on drive as modules but special code that is stored on the tool and loaded to the drive). Only then READING ROM by terminal is possible .... For some reason many tools like MRT and SeDiv do apear to have problem with this and are not able to properly work with majority of "modern" drives to read/write ROM by terminal. SHTR works fine with those ...

PostPosted: September 30th, 2018, 17:51 

Related topic - http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php? ... =20#p15264

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2018, 13:29 

Spildit wrote:
For some reason many tools like MRT and SeDiv do apear to have problem with this and are not able to properly work with majority of "modern" drives to read/write ROM by terminal. SHTR works fine with those ...

Can you edit head map in ram in common samsung 2.5" with SHTR ?

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2018, 15:05 

SHT/SHTR are firmware tool only, they don't have "DE component" so even if you could edit head map on ram then what ? How would you clone/image with head disabled without some tool that would map LBA to head to skip those LBAs leaving that space as empty on the image/clone ?

SHTR doesn't have the option that you ask fo but if you know what you are doing you can read/write RAM with SHT/SHTR and patch the data there (assuming you know what to patch) :

Attachment:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 96.77 KiB | Viewed 212 times ]

If the goal is to clone/image by heads you can use SHT/SHTR to read the zone table :

Attachment:
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 106.99 KiB | Viewed 212 times ]

and then you can use that data with your imaging/cloning tool !

Let's say that you cloning tool can't do the head map .... you can check the zone table to know what LBAs belong to what head and set your cloning tool to copy only the LBAs that belong to the good head(s)...

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2018, 17:39 

Spildit wrote:
If the goal is to clone/image by heads you can use SHT/SHTR to read the zone table :

The goal is in case of scratches on platters it's better first disable head in ram then do head map in cloning tool and hot swap involved here also.

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2018, 17:40 

Spildit wrote:

It's good ideas but my goal is in case of scratches on platters it's better first disable head in ram then do head map in cloning tool and hot swap involved here also.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2018, 17:31 

If the head is phisacaly scratching the platter this will not help and will cause damage as well. You need clean room inspection first .... The "dust" from the head in contact with the platter will spread the magnetic substract all over the place !

If your tool can skip the sectors on the bad head you should be OK.

Function is indeed of use for example if the drive doesn't load the translator if one head is detected as damaged ... this happen allot on WD drives .... Don't think that it would matter on SAMSUNG ...