All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Corrupted File Finder
PostPosted: November 28th, 2018, 14:17 

Guys sorry for all the waiting but I've been debbuging some nasty bugs with some types of files.

I hope eveything will be ready in a weeks time.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2018, 16:09 

maximus wrote:
... there is a way to use the pro version of HDDSuperClone along with a Linux licensed copy of R-Studio to know exactly which files have the bad sectors. It involves using the virtual disk feature to present the recovery as a virtual block device to the system ... You then use R-Studio to extract the files from the virtual disk ...

Why do you need R-Studio for this? Why not just use "cat" to recursively copy each virtual file to dev/nul and record the results in a log file?

PostPosted: November 28th, 2018, 18:22 

fzabkar wrote:
maximus wrote:
... there is a way to use the pro version of HDDSuperClone along with a Linux licensed copy of R-Studio to know exactly which files have the bad sectors. It involves using the virtual disk feature to present the recovery as a virtual block device to the system ... You then use R-Studio to extract the files from the virtual disk ...

Why do you need R-Studio for this? Why not just use "cat" to recursively copy each virtual file to dev/nul and record the results in a log file?

That sounds good in theory, but what if there are errors in the file table? The OS can't handle that very well at all, and may not even list whole folders that R-Studio can find with ease. Besides, this is really meant for the actual file extraction from the image/clone. On a side note, DMDE does also work okay for this, but I found it clunky with too many pop-ups that I did not know how to answer when it encountered errors. I also tried TestDisk and it failed horribly (kept crashing). UFS Explorer wanted to scan the whole image with no option to do otherwise, so I don't consider it useful for file extraction through hddsuperclone.

If the issue is not having a good pattern to search for, but you can convert a map file to ddrescue to use with hddsuperclone, then another possibility would be to use the Fill Mark option. You would need to be sure the map conversion was correct (or you would overwrite good data), but the idea is that you image/clone the drive, convert the map to ddrescue, import that into hddsuperclone, then run the Fill Mark on the image/clone. That will make a very definite pattern you could find in the files after they are extracted with whatever tool you use. And that can be done with the free version of hddsuperclone, assuming you can convert the map file. And I guess you could even use ddrescue as it has a fill feature. Of course you would then need the nice tool this thread is about to search for the pattern :)

PostPosted: November 29th, 2018, 14:00 

The product is now on beta release, I've implemented a key system that allows me to make updates without much hassle.

I'll be updating and releasing the tool here:

https://www.morde.pt/Products/CFF

bug reports are welcome so that fixed versions can be distributed to all the users with a valid key.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2018, 23:25 

And it is FAST even on it's first release!

Quote:
My test job just completed: Scanned 668 Files, 92 Folders ( 556GB) in 1 hr 30 min. 28 sec. and found 68 Files corrupted files (45.3GB) which were moved to a Corrupted files folder. AMAZING! System is Win10 Pro x64, Core i7 @ 3.4Ghz, 8GB memory.

Congratulations!

These were video files averaging 832MB in length. Looking good, @DRUG! :D

PostPosted: November 30th, 2018, 0:48 

I guess I'm spooled with DDI and PC3000 verifying files in a matter of minutes.

That said, this is a great option for those who don't have the tools that do it automatically.