Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Problem with disk and HDD regenerator

January 30th, 2013, 6:40

Hi,

I had problems to read data from a drive (a western digital caviar green WD20EARS) : reading data lead to cyclic redundancy errors, and eventually to a blue screen of death on windows.
I then decided to use HDD regenerator running on a laptop, with my hard drive connected with a SATA to USB adapter. I run it from windows, and after a while it quits working and says HD is not ready. I tried regenerating the drive by sectors, on a range instead of doing the whole drive, but it's all the same ; eventually I must power off/on the disk and regenerate the same sectors again...
I made a boot USB key and tried to boot the laptop from it but it doesn't work. Even with the 1st boot sequence on "removable"...

Is there a way I can fix my drive, with any software, or do you think the problem is physical and beyond any chance of repair?

Thank you for your help :wink:

PS : I already recovered most of the data I needed, so I'd just like to be able to use the disk again, for a while...

Re: Problem with disk and HDD regenerator

January 30th, 2013, 9:55

FYI: HDD regenerator is a big scam

January 30th, 2013, 10:17

If your drive is under warranty, try and RMA it.

February 3rd, 2013, 6:51

Doomer wrote:FYI: HDD regenerator is a big scam

Thanks for the tip but... which software isn't ?

Sorry the warranty expired on this drive.

February 3rd, 2013, 11:33

zerakain wrote:Thanks for the tip but... which software isn't ?

If full surface sequential write test doesn't help (unlikely would) then you cannot repair your drive
Caution: write test erases all the data

February 12th, 2013, 14:34

Thank you. If there's nothing to do about that, I think I'll just get rid of it... and buy a new one.
Thanks anyway!
Post a reply