Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

TOSHIBA HDWJ105 - SLOW READ

August 13th, 2018, 18:00

I have this HDD that reads very slow and with errors, but when I go back to doing another pass, it reads the great majority of sectors that I had read with error before.

Some idea to improve reading, I can do what I want with the disk is to try.

Re: TOSHIBA HDWJ105 - SLOW READ

August 13th, 2018, 18:45

Try the following command in terminal:

SP - Switch ARRE mode

Toshiba Terminal :
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=751

August 13th, 2018, 19:11

Thank you,
I have established terminal connection 9600, N, 8.1 hardware control none and pressing enter. I get ">", and I can communicate.

"SP" enable and disable ARREE.

I have tried the command but it remains the same, tomorrow I will study the subject that you have passed me.

Thank you.

August 14th, 2018, 2:54

ARRE = AutoReallocationReadError

It has nothing to do with your problem.

August 14th, 2018, 10:26

Does anyone know what parameters they use in Toshiba HDDs to calculate the ECC of the sectors?

August 14th, 2018, 16:54

Can someone tell me how adaptives can be changed in a TOSHIBA ROM, to make a head change?

August 14th, 2018, 17:35

BGman wrote:ARRE = AutoReallocationReadError

It has nothing to do with your problem.

Disabling ARRE should prevent the G-list from overflowing.

... but when I go back to doing another pass, it reads the great majority of sectors that I had read with error before.

August 14th, 2018, 18:28

fzabkar wrote:Disabling ARRE should prevent the G-list from overflowing.

very interesting.

I think that this reading problem that I am encountering comes from the heads. I will look for some discs and now some tests.

August 14th, 2018, 18:49

Doesn't MRT allow you to clone individual heads?

November 23rd, 2018, 18:27

fzabkar wrote:Doesn't MRT allow you to clone individual heads?

MRT has kill zone and and kill head for toshiba. I tried kill head. 2 head. 1 cut head 0. Capacity turned % 50. But I cannot find how to mount again head 0 . Lol.
I think MRT DE also has select head option. I see But I don't know how to do yet. I am just learning recovery and also MRT . I am training by myself. I have lots of HDD to make practise . Other brand HDD's head options are so easy on MRT . But not tried yet

November 25th, 2018, 5:55

mhp666 wrote:I have this HDD that reads very slow and with errors, but when I go back to doing another pass, it reads the great majority of sectors that I had read with error before.

Some idea to improve reading, I can do what I want with the disk is to try.

Show SMART first!

February 16th, 2019, 7:14

Spildit wrote:
HddDonorMarket wrote:
fzabkar wrote:Doesn't MRT allow you to clone individual heads?

MRT has kill zone and and kill head for toshiba. I tried kill head. 2 head. 1 cut head 0. Capacity turned % 50. But I cannot find how to mount again head 0 . Lol.
I think MRT DE also has select head option. I see But I don't know how to do yet. I am just learning recovery and also MRT . I am training by myself. I have lots of HDD to make practise . Other brand HDD's head options are so easy on MRT . But not tried yet

This is NOT for data recovery. This is for drive repair.

For data recovery you do need to do head map in DE.

If you cut heads on the utility or if you cut zones you then can re-format the drive for re-use with less capacity but NEVER for data recovery !!!!

You shouldn't cut heads or zones on a drive that you do need the data from ...

Totally true info.. I do understand after some experience. Cut zone and kill head changes . LBA changing. So users data adress mixing.

Thanks
Post a reply