Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Western digital PCB fried

November 13th, 2021, 5:59

Hi Guys,

The pcb is fried for one of the Raid drive. We have the replacement board, the question is will swap ROM will do the job. Should we get a ROM reader instead of swapping the rom, which is more safer and reliable way. Any help is most appreciated,

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

Many Thanks

Re: Western digital PCB fried

November 13th, 2021, 8:09

Given the level of damage there, you'll be lucky if it's just the PCB. It's always safer to make a copy of the rom, but moving them is normally a safe process for anyone with basic soldering skills. Guessing that's another victim of a modular power supply, what were the other drives in the set like ?

November 13th, 2021, 8:41

Other drives in the set are the same model drive, but do you think it can be more damage ? What we feel there was a short circuit on the board, because when we connected power cable melted a little.

November 13th, 2021, 8:53

how can I copy the rom ?

November 13th, 2021, 9:54

you can use an spi flash reader/programmer, but it needs to be able to adjust the supply voltage to 1.8V.

pepe

November 13th, 2021, 13:52

Any suggestions/recommendations for SPI flash reader/programmer?

November 13th, 2021, 14:40

Hi,
In this disk ROM it is supplied with the voltage of 2.5V

Mikippp

November 13th, 2021, 19:28

yeah, indeed. Odd that other IO are 1.8V...
thx for the correction.
pepe

November 14th, 2021, 3:25

Given the state of the contact pads for the HSA I'd be very surprised if the preamp wasn't cooked too.

November 14th, 2021, 12:36

R67 is visibly damaged. This points to an overvoltage on the +5V supply. The motor controller is damaged on the 5V side as well. Therefore I believe that the preamp is most likely dead.

November 15th, 2021, 19:20

Given the state of the contact pads for the HSA I'd be very surprised if the preamp wasn't cooked too.

That looks pretty normal, not a result of the OV.

pepe
Post a reply