Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

wd80efax 68lhpn0 spinning but not recogniserd

October 3rd, 2026, 22:54

wd80efax_68lhpn0_0010A90561 (back).jpg
[/img]Hello,

I have 2 wd80efax 68lhpn0 that were used in a WD NAS that failed.
I disk is fine but the 2nd one is not recognised in BIOS/Windows (motor spins and heads seems fine)
I am suspecting a FW issue and was wondering if I could get more info through TTL ? (hopefully to confirm a diagnostic..)
I am looking for TX/RX pads on this board 001-0A90561 , i found very little info on the web..
As I have an identical drive that works fine, I wanted to know if there is a way to repair it myself without using PC3000

Thanks in advance!

Maurizio
Attachments
wd80efax_68lhpn0_0010A90561.JPG

Re: wd80efax 68lhpn0 spinning but not recogniserd

Yesterday, 18:54

There is no serial for WD / HGST drives (well there is, but not in the way you want to use it for diagnostics).

I would suggest trying to see if it ID's on another computer.
If there is no ID it suggests firmware is not being loaded. So the real question becomes why is firmware not being loaded / processed?

Regrettably I'm not too sure what you would be able to diagnose without the proper (paid) tools.

Re: wd80efax 68lhpn0 spinning but not recogniserd

Yesterday, 19:11

Thanks for your reply!

yes I tried on linux but since it is not even detected in the MB BIOS (that detects the 2nd identical drive) there is no big doubt.. (I tried also in a synology nas..)

I was pretty sure I would need the help of a professional.. but I tried anyway :)

the question are :
what kind of repair service do I need? do I need to send the whole drive or only the pcb?
can you advice me who can do it? for less than the disk price :) ?

Thanks again !

Re: wd80efax 68lhpn0 spinning but not recogniserd

Yesterday, 22:35

It's not likely it's the PCB; but it's possible. The fact the drive turns on and spins suggests the PCB is fine. As a pure guess I would say a firmware, or heads (reading) issue is at play. Firmware is located on the platters.

Regrettably I don't know of credible data recovery companies where you live. This forum is more for data recovery than drive refurbishment.
Post a reply