Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

SCSI Disk Copy Linux Debian

August 20th, 2007, 8:58

Hello,

I will be honest (I have no idea about Linux) Here is my million dollar question :evil:

1: How can I view which disk is mapped to which device ( sd1 , hd1 etc etc)
2: I need to make sure that the disk I copy is the correct model and serial number
3: I need to copy the SCSI disk to a file on the Linux system

Any help much appreciated!

LinuxIdeot :oops:

Re: SCSI Disk Copy Linux Debian

August 20th, 2007, 11:33

"sudo fdisk -L" displays the list of disks connected to your computer. From there you can find out which disk is connected to which device and then mount it with the "sudo mount /dev/device /mnt/where_to_mount". Furthermore if you want to find out things like serial numbers etc you can have a look at the dmesg command. It displays everthing what's going on when booting.
To copy use the cp command. Check "man cp" for further details.
Regards
rexio8

August 20th, 2007, 11:56

it's fdisk -l and not -L. Sorry for the mistake. And one more thing. You don't have to go through dmesg to get the serial number. There is a command "sudo hdparm -i /dev/hdX" where hdX is the device that you want to get serial number of. It can also do some other nice things. Just typing "hdparm" will give you a list of options. Tested on ubuntu 7.04 (based on debian).

August 21st, 2007, 5:38

Thanks for the info! :)

August 21st, 2007, 11:47

you're welcome :) Feel free to pm me or contact if you have some other problems concerning linux (but keep in mind that I'm not some kind of a linux guru.. I just use it from time to time ;)
Post a reply