All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HDD PATA music keyboard, read and write data on windows 7/10
PostPosted: January 30th, 2023, 13:09 

hello, I have an old Generalmusic music keyboard that has a 40 gb hdd inside it that contains fat32 data (extended size 37.26 gb!). It has no USB port. I would like to be able to make a backup of the folders and files it contains on Windows Computer.
Unfortunately on windows this hard disk shows full, but it is not possible to see any files. they are not hidden. Windows simply doesn't recognize the fat32 file system larger than 32GB running inside the music keyboard.
But I was able to read and write it perfectly on Win98. but not on winXP or win7 or win10.
how come?
After much research I found a program called "DiskInternals Linux Reader" which can only read folders on win7 and win10. But he doesn't write.
My question is: is there any program that allows me to read and write this HDD on windows 7 or 10?
now i will post some boot sector images of this HDD formatted on music keyboard. maybe someone can tell me more. thank you

Attachments:
boot sector hdd40gb.jpg
boot sector hdd40gb.jpg [ 534.86 KiB | Viewed 7439 times ]

Post subject: Re: HDD PATA music keyboard, read and write data on windows
PostPosted: January 31st, 2023, 6:47 

Quote:
Windows simply doesn't recognize the fat32 file system larger than 32GB

i am pretty confident i have used FAT32 volumes larger than 32G on Win7...
Win7 does not allow you to create large FAT32 vols but can handle them once created by other means.
Have you checked if linux can handle it?

pepe

PostPosted: January 31st, 2023, 13:05 

Quote:
But I was able to read and write it perfectly on Win98. but not on winXP or win7 or win10.
how come?

I'm assuming your screenshot is showing physical sector 0, not logical sector 0. If so, then the drive is formatted as a "super floppy". That is, sector 0 is a FAT32 boot sector rather than an MBR. Perhaps Win95 can deal with super floppies, but it appears that Win7 and Win10 cannot.

If you can find some way to trick Win10 that it is a removable drive, then that may enable Win10 to mount it.

Otherwise, if your screenshot is showing physical sector 63, try to access the drive with DMDE.

https://dmde.com/

PostPosted: February 1st, 2023, 3:23 

fzabkar wrote:
Quote:
how come?

I'm assuming your screenshot is showing physical sector 0, not logical sector 0. If so, then the drive is formatted as a "super floppy". That is, sector 0 is a FAT32 boot sector rather than an MBR. Perhaps Win95 can deal with super floppies, but it appears that Win7 and Win10 cannot.

If you can find some way to trick Win10 that it is a removable drive, then that may enable Win10 to mount it.

Otherwise, if your screenshot is showing physical sector 63, try to access the drive with DMDE.

I'm trying the program you suggested. strange things happened. can you figure something out?

Attachments:
1.png
1.png [ 153.93 KiB | Viewed 6734 times ]

PostPosted: February 1st, 2023, 3:25 

pepe wrote:
Quote:
Windows simply doesn't recognize the fat32 file system larger than 32GB

i am pretty confident i have used FAT32 volumes larger than 32G on Win7...
Win7 does not allow you to create large FAT32 vols but can handle them once created by other means.
Have you checked if linux can handle it?

pepe

both win98 and linux work. I need to be able to read and edit them on windows 7 or 10.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2023, 3:43 

fzabkar wrote:
Quote:
how come?

I have analyzed the parameters of FAT0. the first FAT0 is fat32, while all other FAT1/2/3/4.... are all fat16!

PostPosted: February 1st, 2023, 5:17 

I guess some of those are remnants of previous file system(s). There should be 2 consistent copies of FATs, same type of course.
show us sector 32 and 4793.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2023, 6:50 

galaxy76 wrote:
both win98 and linux work. I need to be able to read and edit them on windows 7 or 10.

I don't understand why you needed a full scan in DMDE. All you should have done is to d-click the FAT32 partition at LBA 63 in the Partitions tab. Then DMDE should have presented you with a file/folder tree under the $Root. Can you show us a screenshot of the Partitions tab?

PostPosted: February 1st, 2023, 16:16 

There are many differences between the OP's boot sector and a standard MS FAT32 boot sector:

https://thestarman.pcministry.com/asm/mbr/MSWIN41.htm

Also, the cluster size (128 sectors) is larger than the MS default (64 sectors), although I doubt that this would be an issue:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/description-of-default-cluster-sizes-for-fat32-file-system-905ea1b1-5c4e-a03f-3863-e4846a878d31

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2023, 6:49 

Thanks everyone, but I give up. it means that I will only read and write it on windows 98 because it is the only one that can do it well on a virtual machine. linux also doesn't work well, it corrupts files.
I didn't think it was impossible.