Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
January 13th, 2009, 7:11
I think the origin of this post was meant to ask what type of ESD protection is used by other DR firms?
January 13th, 2009, 8:28
Yeah it was. But i was being careful because from reading through the forum i sometimes get the impression that a lot of gurus don't want to share...anything about their methods, techniques, setups etc
Which is understandable, but i guess my attempt at asking in a roundabout, probing way didnt work at all. I'll get me coat. Taxi!!!
January 13th, 2009, 9:00
If when using a clean room and esd safe procedues your recovery rates dont improve then you are doing something else wrong.
<itch>
January 13th, 2009, 9:08
Another one that wanted to learn at our expenses... Hope you'll find the taxi. Bye bye.
January 13th, 2009, 9:49
Don't flatter yourself BlackST

. I could learn more in 10 minutes from my technical manager than i could by reading this board
I was only trying to find out who uses ESD equipment religiously and whether they think it improves success rates. Probably asked the question in the wrong way, but hey ho. At least it gave me a laugh yesterday. Helen Daniels.......really......
January 13th, 2009, 10:10
why didn't you ask your techncial manager the question?
January 13th, 2009, 10:14
Because he doesn't know if you or BlackST or anyone else for that matter uses ESD equipment.
Or maybe he does......Maybe he is hiding under your table right now, watching and waiting.......spoooooky
January 13th, 2009, 13:53
No comment.
January 13th, 2009, 14:13
beardyone wrote:Maybe he is hiding under your table right now
Only if SHE was a hot babe.
January 13th, 2009, 15:17
January 13th, 2009, 16:06
beardyone wrote:Maybe we should start penalising people for not using the ESD equipment over the next month and see if our recovery rate jumps up significantly. Be interesting to see.
It's very sad to see that there is not many people taking ESD precautions seriously!
It's not just about purchasing ESD protection equipment and think that all is safe!. All mats and wrist straps and other equipment must be properly installed, and it is very important using a common ground point, installation needs to be test measured and so on. And you need to have a
understanding of ESD and how it affect electronics. And maybe the most important thing: You must develope
proper handling procedures.
January 14th, 2009, 1:46
The presumption is that everyone here knows a great deal about ESD. It is much like discussing elementary biology in a Neurosurgical forum....doesn't excite many....
January 14th, 2009, 2:43
Or to ask the STallion how to make horses - and eventually trying to teach him how to do it...
January 14th, 2009, 4:50
Hi beardyone,
Are you serious to set up a cleanroom? I know cleanroom for Data Recovery Lab, but what is the ESD Equipment?

But it seems you just drop by here and SAY something who are interested.
Regards
Laura
January 14th, 2009, 6:28

Thanks for all the input guys.
Really though, I don't mean to sound defensive but i do work for a large DR company already. I've only been here 11 months so i don't want to even pretend that I know much, certainly not as much as the gurus here who have been posting and working a lot longer than me.
Me and my colleagues were all having a discussion about Static Discharge in the lab and whether it is a major factor in failures when dealing with physical repairs. I thought I would ask on this forum for best practice ideas and try to get an idea of how many other gurus use static discharge prevention. I never meant to cause such hostility
Thanks for everyones input though, especially the previous poster who mentioned that without proper controls in place then it doesnt matter anyway. Even when i do use my ESD tweezers and put on the wrist strap, the walk back to my desk while holding the HDD in my hand, walking on carpet, may build up static and damage a component.
Personally i think ESD is a bit of a myth, like saying you will die if you go swimming after eating food. I don't think that proper ESD controls will improve the companies success rate by any major factor. But i suppose there is no harm and being diligent and making sure our ESD control is improved.
January 14th, 2009, 6:33
Every serious company has quality and process engineers.
January 14th, 2009, 6:42
How do you mean ST?
Do you assume that we don't have technical process managers and QA? Shall we try and stay on topic now? There's a good boy
January 14th, 2009, 7:09
walking on carpet, may build up static and damage a component
What serious DR company has carpet ANYWHERE near it's lab?? May as well have a few Van De Graff generators sitting beside your flow hoods...
January 14th, 2009, 7:15
I think he must work for Ontrack or Seagate
Beardyone, what large company do you work for?
January 14th, 2009, 7:24
HDD Spaz wrote:I think he must work for Ontrack or Seagate
Beardyone, what large company do you work for?
Please view my informative website.
http://www.harddiskcrashed.com/Nice to meet you everybody
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.