Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Re: TOSHIBA MK6034GSX BGA Rom worries/doubts

December 18th, 2009, 20:08

What material is this? Aluminium? Ours looks ugly compared to this beauty, but we use a much smaller thread pitch if it actually the threading that can be seen on the right. Have done two out of three drives with it so far, but I must admit that it were only easy jobs - 160GB and less.

Re: TOSHIBA MK6034GSX BGA Rom worries/doubts

December 18th, 2009, 21:06

That is awesome Jono; I want to give my respects to you for showing this tool. Not many would give this away.


It is also one of those "How did I not think of that" tools. It goes back to what many say on the forums about creating tools; I think many people over think these tools, when you just need to look simply at what needs to be done.


Regards,

Re: TOSHIBA MK6034GSX BGA Rom worries/doubts

December 19th, 2009, 7:26

Absolutely - ours is made of massive aluminium to prevent drive vibrations feed through to the head axle alignment, but the adjustment mechanism is very prototype ;)

Re: TOSHIBA MK6034GSX BGA Rom worries/doubts

December 19th, 2009, 9:49

shaun wrote:What material is this? Aluminium? Ours looks ugly compared to this beauty, but we use a much smaller thread pitch if it actually the threading that can be seen on the right. Have done two out of three drives with it so far, but I must admit that it were only easy jobs - 160GB and less.



This tool was machined from aluminum block.

I have forgotten what the thread pitch is, but it is micrometer grade - in fact, it's difficult to really make out the threads in the photo:
Attachments
X-Axis-Screw.jpg

Re: TOSHIBA MK6034GSX BGA Rom worries/doubts

December 19th, 2009, 9:51

Russwinters,

Thanks for the kind words . . . .

Re: TOSHIBA MK6034GSX BGA Rom worries/doubts

December 19th, 2009, 10:54

very good jono

you going in a good direction ;)

Re: TOSHIBA MK6034GSX BGA Rom worries/doubts

December 19th, 2009, 19:45

On your first photo I saw something glodish on the right side which looked like some kind of brass acme screw thread - but this would be far too large pitch.

Re: TOSHIBA MK6034GSX BGA Rom worries/doubts

December 19th, 2009, 22:32

shaun wrote:On your first photo I saw something glodish on the right side which looked like some kind of brass acme screw thread - but this would be far too large pitch.


Yeah, those are the screws that secure the drive body to the alignment jig.
Post a reply