Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Re: Portable dust free environment

September 9th, 2010, 12:01

BlackST wrote:the plexiglass + walmart cleaner sounds Wile E. Coyote-ish ...


Yeah, but the Coyote usually got the production he needed, even if he was a little off target every time. :lol:

Sadly, it's the same material used by Sentry Air and InfoSec Institute (don't ask me how I know...) Maybe their blower motor is metal whereas the one I suggested is plastic. Other than that, there isn't much difference except price.

ppumkin wrote:It was that company- the smallest box they offer for 800USD? it is too small todo anything long term though.


Even smaller than 18"x18"? Sheesh, that's already cramped.

Re: Portable dust free environment

September 9th, 2010, 14:59

Yes, but Wile can place direct orders to ACME :mrgreen:

Most probably there are on the market small "clean cabinets" for bio manipulation that can be "portable" and maybe with some necessary modding to the filtering system can be taken to specs.

Re: Portable dust free environment

September 10th, 2010, 1:10

ppumkin wrote:You can get a portable clean box from about $799 in America. Cant find the link now

You can make your own clean box using tupperware- like the big ones not like lunch boxes
<snip>

Thanks for the details - enough for me to get started. I will have to find out how to mount the filter on the fan - do you think the CPU cooling fan would do the job?

Incidentally I found this interesting item on the eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FFU-HEPA-Air-Filter ... 56398d2027

And another on DIY HEPA filter (uses computer fan):

http://www.mall-net.com/mcs/air.html

Thanks!

Re: Portable dust free environment

September 10th, 2010, 1:24

dpc wrote:This portable can be had for a mere $1800 (US): http://www.sentryair.com/specs/Clean-Room-Portable-Mini-218-PCR.htm
I'm not aware of any available in the US for $800. ppumkin, please post a link if you recall. I'd like to take a look.

I found this link on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/FFU-HEPA-Air-Filter-VFD-Fan-CLEANROOM-40x31-/370332737575?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56398d2027
Along the same lines that ppumkin is suggesting, you can build one. Maybe you can get a local hardware store to cut 6 pieces of plexiglass in the shape of the one in my link (18"x18"x18"), then add your own HEPA filter/blower motor to it.

Fish tank comes to my mind...
I know a medium volume room cleaner unit can be purchased at a Walmart for around $120.

Maybe this can be hacked to retro-fit on a big transparent plastic box.

Re: Portable dust free environment

September 11th, 2010, 5:35

Believe it or not a freshly made food poly bag is "clean" because of the way it is made.

The 'melt' is injected and blown in a special manner to exclude dust ,because it messes up the process and causes holes.

Possibly a ziplock bag, single use ,plus it will pull any dust to the material due to the electrostatic charges.
I thought about one of those "vacuum" linen bags, suitable frame, air filter and blower into the connection area that is used to extract the air, hands could then go into the mouth of the bag.

Possibly thinking about a "Dyson" as the air source, capable of removing particles down to 0.5um, no need to use a 'filter'

Just make sure the external of the drive is as dust free as you can make it.

Re: Portable dust free environment

September 11th, 2010, 7:42

code_slave wrote:Believe it or not a freshly made food poly bag is "clean" because of the way it is made.
I thought about one of those "vacuum" linen bags, suitable frame, air filter and blower into the connection area that is used to extract the air, hands could then go into the mouth of the bag.

Heheh - somehow i cant imagine that. :roll: :D


If you want to eliminate dust smaller than 0.5micron do some research on Ionisers(can get cheap ones for about £10) and airflow patterns(bit more complicated)

Re: Portable dust free environment

September 11th, 2010, 11:39

code_slave wrote:Believe it or not a freshly made food poly bag is "clean" because of the way it is made.
Yeah, I had already thought of a big transparent plastic bag -
The 'melt' is injected and blown in a special manner to exclude dust ,because it messes up the process and causes holes.
I worked in a plastic injection and blow moulding unit - so I can understand this.
Possibly thinking about a "Dyson" as the air source, capable of removing particles down to 0.5um, no need to use a 'filter'
Wouldn't Dyson be prohibitively expensive? - an ionizer and/or room filter unit would be more appropriate price wise, I think.
Just make sure the external of the drive is as dust free as you can make it.
By external, I think, you mean the hard disk case, right?

Re: Portable dust free environment

September 11th, 2010, 11:45

Be prepared to a lot of frustration and in any case don't try on critical data !

Re: Portable dust free environment

September 11th, 2010, 12:02

BlackST wrote:Be prepared to a lot of frustration and in any case don't try on critical data !
Yes, of course! It would be so much fun though :)

Re: Portable dust free environment

September 11th, 2010, 12:23

Just in case... :D

Re: Portable dust free environment

September 11th, 2010, 18:16

Success rates are low using these DIY methods. Clean air is a good start. Air dynamics are the key in a good clean room.
Long term exposure in these environments is guaranteed death to hdd. You need to be quick and very clean.
Post a reply