All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: WD10TMVV
PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 20:53 

freemasonry wrote:
this thread is old but i would like to quote ataho:

"I had a problem with this hard drive (Model WD10TMVV-11TK7S1). Stopped working, not recognized in bios, and when connected it clicks smoothly 4-5 times and then stops but the light is on static. After researching for 2 months i decided to open the drive, and see if i could connect the drive to a SATA Connector, but i ended up opening the top cover and plug in the USB cable just to see what the heck was the clicking sound. I saw that the armor was stuck on the surface and was not moving at all but the disk was spinning, so i pushed the armor towards the docking bay (smoothly, not to much pressure), Then i put the cover on and plugged in the USB an voila ready to save the data in another drive.
When opening the drive "CLEAN ENVIRONMENT"
When removing the armor "POWER ON OR YOU'LL SCRATCH THE SURFACE"
If you have this clicking sound
Attachment:
File comment: AUDIO FILE
Untitled.rar [258.55 KiB]
Downloaded 1073 times

Its a high chance that the armor is stuck on the surface.
I recovered 12 HDD in the last 4 days by doing this trick"

I listened to your audio file and share the same symptoms. my drive spins up and you can hear it, spin for 5 times then stops. the white led light is lit on, no blinking what so ever. i want to say the cause of the defect is cause of a accidental drop. at this point my drive cannot be seen or accessed on any os platform. although there are some important stuff on the drive, i don't think 800 to 1000+ bucks is worth that much if i can bare it. im reaching out to anyone out there who's tried this persons option and came out with a positive outcome.

also, i was wondering if anyone knew what type of torx screw driver i would need to open the top of my hard drive?
thanks

Where did you get this post from ?
Have you tried this ?
Do you have the audio file ?

regards,
Pablo

PostPosted: November 28th, 2012, 3:20 

http://flic.kr/p/dwS3bz

1 - Standard Sata Cable
2 - USB
3 - Unknown 12 pin connection
4 - USB slot
5 - unknown 2pin connection.

as you can see theres no where to put the sata cable or a power cable.
WD support have been telling me to connect it internally, but they gave me a diagram of - http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/det ... owersupply

Cheers

PostPosted: November 29th, 2012, 14:52 

yeah im not sure what WD is thinking sending you a diagram that has no correlation with the product we are discussing in this thread. anyway, thats why preparatory sucks and data companies will continue to be leaches. boycott Western Digital!

if they are going to put a type of pin connection in the back of a hard drive they should at least give us the tools needed to connect to it ourselves.

it almost feels like my rights liberty and freedoms have been violated.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2012, 23:37 

Hello everyone,

Recently I dropped HDD (WD10TMVV-11BG7S0) with a height of 30 cm, which was at that moment plugged into the computer. Next time i plugged in, it takes long time to mount. Windows sees all the data, but when I try to open one of these files then it freezes ... As for the sound, no clicking. I tried to scan it to see if it has bad sectors, but only appeared DELAYED sectors, there was no bad sectors. And every time I scanned it just appeared DELAYED sectors but in a different sector than the last scan... Is it damaged mechanical part of the HDD or do I resolve the problem buying a new PCB. Or try to solder directly USB cable on the PCB as explained in previous posts.

Thanks, Alexander!

PostPosted: December 24th, 2012, 4:26 

Damaged/weak heads, a PCB will not make any difference.

It will get worse all the time you tinker with it.

Given that it is a USB connection, you will need pro tools to clone and recover this one.

Resoldering to SATA will not help either as it is encrypted by the USB board.

If you don't need the data then just RMA it, or if data is needed then seek pro assistance (shouldn't be mega bucks AT THIS STAGE)

Good luck and merry Xmas!

New!! HDD-PCB.COM for all your PCB and donor HDD requirements!

PostPosted: December 24th, 2012, 10:59 

pcimage wrote:
Damaged/weak heads, a PCB will not make any difference.

It will get worse all the time you tinker with it.

Given that it is a USB connection, you will need pro tools to clone and recover this one.

Resoldering to SATA will not help either as it is encrypted by the USB board.

If you don't need the data then just RMA it, or if data is needed then seek pro assistance (shouldn't be mega bucks AT THIS STAGE)

Good luck and merry Xmas!

Thanks for quick reply...
Data isn't important to me, I formatted few times already thinking that is gonna solve the problem...
But i will try to resolder usb connector, maybe that's the problem...
Warranty period has passed so I can't RMA it.
Good lucky to you and merry Xmas too... :)

PostPosted: December 24th, 2012, 15:08 

'But i will try to resolder usb connector, maybe that's the problem... '

Will not help!
Dont use this drive any more. Bin it.

Datarecovery in Belgium, Holland, France and Germany
Datarecoverytools http://www.drtools.eu

PostPosted: January 28th, 2013, 22:23 

Hello folks,

I'm new to this forum, but I tried to read all posts in this thread regarding my problem.
I read about the method of ataho and other people.
But I'm just at the beginning and trying to figure out what is the actual problem of my HDD.

My harddrive is: WD WD10TMVV-11TK7S1 1TB 2,5"
It did not fall down or anything it just freezed while copying some files (in Linux). I tried to cancel the copying process but it was impossible (machine was frozen). So I turned it off manually.
When I tried to reboot and reconnect my HDD via USB. it became unrecognizable all of a sudden. And even more weird, started to make strange sounds like in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-55qa8h-u1c
(actually mine is more frequently)

So, I hope someone could maybe help me with my diagnosis. Head problem? Or something to fix with another PCB?

thx in advance...

PS: sorry I'm new to this topic of HDD repairing!

PostPosted: January 28th, 2013, 23:21 

If your hard drive is spinning and clicking , then most of the time the PCB is not faulty.
If you have important data in the drive, do not attempt DIY , take pro help.
Opening the drive will make recovery later by a pro costly and difficult.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2013, 17:40 

sathyan wrote:
If your hard drive is spinning and clicking , then most of the time the PCB is not faulty.
If you have important data in the drive, do not attempt DIY , take pro help.
Opening the drive will make recovery later by a pro costly and difficult.

That's exactly right, and sound advice.

We can almost certainly help,if you're willing to ship to uk?

Post subject: Re: WD10JMVW (not TMVV)
PostPosted: February 27th, 2013, 19:02 

Hello all. This seems to be the most knowledgeable place I've yet to find, and this thread the closest cousin. Please excuse me if this is the incorrect place..

• Up front statement regarding importance of data on this drive: TBD- I have asked the question to the drive owner. I am told that it contains all of their doctoral research that is due within several months. There is a chance this is the proverbial "only copy." I am trying to help, and am waiting to hear back with a few questions of my own..

I'm smart enough to not open my drive. Check. :) I have read through about 75% of this thread and am teetering between it being a controller issue and a HDD issue. In short, I have a WD10JMVW-- well, really, it's a friend of a coworker's, but anyway-- not a TMVV that is normally being discussed in this thread. It was brought to me to try and recover (I purchased a license for Stellar Phoenix recovery suite a few years back for a drive and it worked very well on that drive, so I offered to give it a shot on this drive)..

First of all, it's not a standard mini or micro USB. It's a dual connector of some sort. I'll attach a photo.. Anyway, connecting it with the supplied cable, I hear things start spinning up, and of course dreaded clicking. This goes on for about 30-60 seconds, and eventually stops. Using WinXP Pro, the device manager shows the disk and the SES entry. However no partition is ever mounted. Right clicking the drive in Device Manager and trying to populate the "Volumes" leads to the "Unreadable" and "0MB" values being reported with no volumes. Within the Disk Management section of Computer Management, no drive is ever listed. Plugging into a Windows-7 machine results similar (no partition mounted), but it did show up (the one time I tried it anyway) in the Disk Manager, as an "uninitialized disk."

Moving it back to the WindowsXP machine and using my own USB micro connector (into one of the two available connector slots) seems to still power up the drive, and that time the "Searching Media.." or whatever it's called (dialog box) of Windows XP popped up. So I THINK that meant that enough things occurred that it could actually find and mount a partition. Nervous, however, about running with a normal USB 3' cable instead of the supplied specialty cable, I stopped that process and went back to the short 12" supplied cable. However I cannot seem to get Windows to ever successfully try to scan the drive again.. Nothing is showing up in Disk Management .. I still get the standard entries within the Device Manager under HDD and SES Device, however.

Flash forward to this thread, I have removed the controller card to photograph each side.. I've NOT opened the HDD itself (I know better!).. As luck would have it, no images within this thread line up to the controller card that this version seems to have.

Because it attempted to mount once but not again since, I'm not sure if it's a controller thing and a SATA-workaround (bypassing USB adaptation) would be a worthwhile endeavor. However since it does seem to "re-try" several times going through various rounds of occasional clicking, I'm not sure if it's in fact a more fundamental HDD failure. If necessary I can run a video of what's going on.. but I haven't yet as I don't think that's probably necessary. I do have plenty of pictures though.

Questions and Situations:

1) Have I overlooked a simple way to help nail down if it's an interface problem or a fundamental HDD problem?

2) I am an electrical engineer working in a custom electronics design shop. Luckily, therefore, I have access to solder rework stations and can remove and replace pinned components if necessary. The parts on this board look to all be SOIC, TSSOP, TQFP, and QFN's. Though some are a finer pitch than we typically deal with, I think we can manage if it comes to that..

3) I have read reference to potentially poor ground connections or poor power supply through USB. Is that really a common problem with these drives or is that a rabbit trail I should avoid? I could easily solder up some wires to a bench-top 5+ and GND supply and give it as much juice as it needs.. But I don't want to bother with the effort if it's a red heron..

4) ..insert other appropriate questions here that I *should* be asking.. :)

5) Much higher resolution (12MP) photos available if necessary.. didnt' want to bog things down up-front..

thanks in advance!
..dane

Attachments:
IMG_1499_sm.jpg
IMG_1499_sm.jpg [ 134.21 KiB | Viewed 16530 times ]
IMG_1496_sm.jpg
IMG_1496_sm.jpg [ 154.69 KiB | Viewed 16530 times ]
IMG_1505_sm.jpg
IMG_1505_sm.jpg [ 40.66 KiB | Viewed 16530 times ]

PostPosted: February 27th, 2013, 23:38 

Quote:
First of all, it's not a standard mini or micro USB. It's a dual connector of some sort.

USB 3 interface , will work in USB 2 also.

Quote:
I hear things start spinning up, and of course dreaded clicking. This goes on for about 30-60 seconds, and eventually stops.

Most of the time the fault is internal , and not PCB fault

Quote:
Questions and Situations:

1)Disk spins up, clicks .(Heads or firmware problem).

Was the drive dropped ? How did the problem occur ?

2) only necessary if PCB has to be replaced.

3) Drive spins up, so not power related problem.

4) If data is important , get a proper diagnosis from a pro , there is very little DIY options in your case. Also chances of the drive deteriorating by DIY attempts are more.

Quote:
I'm smart enough to not open my drive.

Right, Do not open the drive, it will surely spoil any chances of recovery later.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2013, 4:01 

It's internal (heads and/or media damage) problem, nothing to do with PCB.

There is no DIY solution for this, you need to send it to someone who knows what they're doing and has the appropriate skills,equipment and parts to deal with this.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2013, 10:01 

sathyan wrote:
- USB 3 interface , will work in USB 2 also.
- Most of the time the fault is internal , and not PCB fault
1) Was the drive dropped ? How did the problem occur ?
2) only necessary if PCB has to be replaced.
3) Drive spins up, so not power related problem.
4) If data is important , get a proper diagnosis from a pro , there is very little DIY options in your case. Also chances of the drive deteriorating by DIY attempts are more.

Ahh, this is my first experience with USB-3.. Just looked it up. Interesting. Nice that they were able to find a way to adapt the connector and preserve backwards compatibility..

1) Oh I must have overlooked that part, sorry. Yes, I believe it was dropped.. :(
2) Yup.. just sayin' it's an option for me..
3) Good. I wasn't sure if a "semi" power problem had particular symptoms that I described.. Enough to turn on, not enough to run (well)..
4) Oh bummer.. thanks anyway.. The only DIY attempts I am interested in are those that involve keeping the drive closed-up. I don't mind mod'ing the controller board.. but I'm not going to open up the HDD itself..

pcimage wrote:
It's internal (heads and/or media damage) problem, nothing to do with PCB.

There is no DIY solution for this, you need to send it to someone who knows what they're doing and has the appropriate skills,equipment and parts to deal with this.

Oh bummer, 2-for-2 saying I probably can't do it myself. Alrighty.. thanks y'all, I do appreciate your time.

cheers,
..dane

PostPosted: February 28th, 2013, 13:30 

Quote:
Oh I must have overlooked that part, sorry. Yes, I believe it was dropped..

as pcimage says, heads and/or media damage, as the drive was dropped.

Do not power up the drive , and take pro help , if data is important.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2013, 13:57 

Well I have been able to get it to show up in Disk Manager as a volume that shows 0MB in size.. So with that, Stellar Phoenix can at least SEE the drive.. Trying to scan it reports a corrupted partition table, and scanning it is slow enough that it looks like it will take 83 years to scan the drive for available partitions.. ugg.. Looks like a pro really is the best I can do.. :(

At this point I think the only other question I have is if anyone has any tools that they recommend, since Windows can (seemingly) access the drive, that might do a better job than my 2005 copy of Stellar Phoenix..

thanks all,
..dane

EDIT --

sathyan wrote:
Quote:
Oh I must have overlooked that part, sorry. Yes, I believe it was dropped..

as pcimage says, heads and/or media damage, as the drive was dropped.

Do not power up the drive , and take pro help , if data is important.

Hmm.. better to leave it unpowered then, huh? .. okay. thanks, I will pass that information along to them..

PostPosted: February 28th, 2013, 16:32 

Last update.. The initial shock is apparently subsiding and the HDD owner is coming to grips with the loss. They are not wanting to spend loads of money on the data; it seems they did have a semi-recent backup that includes what I gather is about 60-70% of their data currently on the disk.

So it seems I wasted some people's time with my questions and posts. My apologies. Just trying to help a guy out..

thanks so much for everyone's help.
..dane

PostPosted: March 21st, 2013, 19:58 

I trusted this crappy hd with my life pictures and now it just turns on (solid stable light) hear the drive spin but that's it. Doesn't do a thing in windows. never dropped it or something like that.

I thought maybe the USB broke so I read the whole topic and tried to solder the 4 cables (black,red,green,white). It turns on but If I try what some guys post here it does nothing..

If I move the white cable to another place I get "Unkown Device".

So what should I do now ? Just try my like till I found a dot that works ?

I really need the pictures. If it weren't family pictures with some of my past away family I would not even try to fix it. No shop in my city knows how to fix it.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2013, 20:22 

Kitkat007 wrote:
I really need the pictures.

In that case, stop your DIY attempts, before you make the situation worse and/or make recovery more expensive. Forum member dobrevjetser is in Belgium, is recommended, and would be able to help you.

To help make the situation a bit clearer, please can you answer the following question:

Kitkat007 wrote:
it just turns on (solid stable light) hear the drive spin but that's it. Doesn't do a thing in windows.

Do you mean there is no USB two-tone "beep-beep" recognition sound when you plug the drive in? Or no USB device (even an unknown device) appears in Windows Device Manager, but you do hear the "beep-beep"? Or do you mean that both those happen but no drive letter for this drive appears in Windows (My) Computer? Or do you mean something different? Any of those could be interpreted as "doesn't do a thing" depending on exactly where you are looking.

Kitkat007 wrote:
Just try my like till I found a dot that works ?

If you're asking whether to try your luck by soldering the various USB wires to other "dots" (PCB test points), then no!

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2013, 6:40 

I am currently in the Netherlands so then I have to wait..

I get the beep sound 1 time (Unknown Device).

Is there a way to find the 2 dots ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next